Week 5 2022 Lions at Patriots

I love the no-panic the first clip, just a calm movement out of the pocket and a simple throw to an open receiver.

Yeah, that one was good. My favorite is the second one, that went to Henry. That was lowkey one of the best plays of the game. The way he climbed the pocket and then held those two MoF defenders in space, putting them in limbo where they couldn't fully commit to either Zappe or Henry, and then throwing the ball at the perfect moment, with good accuracy. That was a high-level play, used the width of the field to create horizontal leverage/spacing and executed perfectly. I have a hunch BB really loved that one.

Yeah, that one was good. My favorite is the second one, that went to Henry. That was lowkey one of the best plays of the game. The way he climbed the pocket and then held those two MoF defenders in space, putting them in limbo where they couldn't fully commit to either Zappe or Henry, and then throwing the ball at the perfect moment, with good accuracy. That was a high-level play, used the width of the field to create horizontal leverage/spacing and executed perfectly. I have a hunch BB really loved that one.

I noticed as well the comments from thenTV analysts before the game, that Zappe looked very impressive in warm up. Was hitting his receivers on the money and the receivers were very positive about it.

Zappe showed a lot of good traits and ability in the game. If there's not a QB controversy (yet) there's damn sure a QB competition now.
That's a good thing.
1 of these QBs is going to make another team very happy in a couple of years. ;)

Great win! Hopefully, Zappe lights a fire under Jones' ass. The kid can play. I told someone yesterday that Jones might be Wally Pipped. The defense shut out the highest scoring team in the league. The Pats are a better team than their record indicates.

Zappe did really well and has put himself on the NFL landscape, but Mac is going to get himself sorted out when he's healed up. It's his team. Period. It was a day where almost everything we did worked, so let's hope the Pro Shop doesn't print a Zappe jersey for mass consumption just yet.

I will say that Bill may have inadvertently thrown a little fuel on the "Macbench" fire when he said this, among other things, about Zappe:

He does a good job of seeing the game and can come off and identify and articulate what he saw, what happened — and that’s usually right,” Belichick said. “What he saw is usually what I saw or, maybe, when you look at the film, maybe there’s something that’s a little gray in there, his explanation is actually good. It was the way he saw it. Maybe he might not have done the right thing, but he saw the game.

It was a bit reminiscent of the way he spoke about Brady early in his career.

Felger will take note and milk that, I'm sure. All the sharpies in the media will use it for what will probably be a modest campaign to create a DQBC (dreaded qb controversy) in Foxboro in hopes of conning the stupid in order to generate heat and hits, but there really isn't anything there for it to really take off. The fan base as a whole isn't nearly angry enough.
Your bolded quote sounds similar to the BB description of Brady, the one where Brady explains the five events of a given play and that description is accurate.

And conversely does Mac not do that?

LINK

NFL Research: With Bailey Zappe winning his first career start, Bill Belichick and the Patriots are now 5-0 with quarterbacks drafted outside the first round making their debut start. The rest of the NFL is 30-80 with non-first-round rookie QBs in their first starts, since the 2000 season, Belichick's first in New England

Heard Bourne was seen mouthing off to BB during yesterday's game. And was sent to the bench.
Don't like hearing that.
Is Bourne going to get himself traded?

(Agholor has a hamstring issue.)

Heard Bourne was seen mouthing off to BB during yesterday's game. And was sent to the bench.
Don't like hearing that.
Is Bourne going to get himself traded?

(Agholor has a hamstring issue.)

I wouldn't say mouthing off, he was trying to explain to Bill what happened it looked and Bill was telling him to get lost he was trying to coach etc. But today, Bill was full of love for KB, said he loves his passion and play etc.

I love the way Judon walked to the post-game presser Mic saying "I may need to have some walk-on music man" :rofl:

He's developed great banter with the press guys,

Teams don't have tape on Zappe and Lions D is shit but I have to admit I was more excited watching him play and the way he led the O. Nothing against Mac..

Hopefully this sort of makes the Pats slow down on Mac. I think they were letting him have more control and let him push the ball more, but it has had its growing pains. Zappe looked way more like he was taking what the defense gave him and did so efficiently. We know Mac can do that as he did it all of last season, maybe seeing the rookie do it will push him to stop trying to be the hero, and instead focus on playing smarter.

I'm not sure if there will be a QB controversy or not. If Mac keeps playing like he has been, there will be. He needs to get over McD not being around. This should light a fire under Mac...

As the Brady stan around here, I have to say Zappe’s movement and pocket awareness was very reminiscent of Brady. He also did a great job of setting the protection, another Brady trait. The way Bill spoke about him seeing the game the same as the coaches is exactly how he talked about Brady early on.

For those who believe there is no Qb controversy right now, need I remind you this is Bill Belichick? No one’s job is guaranteed especially when a back up is playing so well. It will be interesting to see if Mac misses another game or two if Bill does not find himself right back in 2001 and declares Zappe the starter.

Also Mac trying to come back so soon now makes more sense as Brett Favre used to say “never let the coaches see the back up. “

Back