Week 7 2022, The Bears At Gillette

But let's not lose sight of the fact that this was, as they'd put it on the Food Network, a symphony of flavors, all of them rancid. This was a smorgasbord of failure. An all-you-can eat buffet of gawdawfulness. A defiled dining experience where everything on the menu was unfit for human consumption, the chef was a notorious war criminal, and security camera video of the waiter shoving you off a subway platform on your way home is currently running 25 times an hour on Fox News.

One thing I haven't seen discussed (and in fairness, it's waaay down the list of important things) is Marcus Jones last night. On the downside, wtf, take a touchback occasionally! On the upside, that play he made going horizontal to break up the pass? That was awesome. It would have been more awesome if he wasn't having to flash because he was 2 steps behind, but that closing speed and level of instincts! Can't wait to see this kid develop...

Mac obviously is not the starter. Anyone who says otherwise is whistling past the graveyard and letting the 1st round pick and "Bama days blind them. He does nothing well, or even above average. His strengths have not manifested themselves in any consistent way, even last year. This year has been an abject disaster and his running is an indicator of something be it inability to read coverage or whatnot.

Zappe probably isn't the answer either, but he seems to have a good ability to drop and pop when the game flow is in his favor. As a rookie, with extremely limited reps in practice it's not shocking he struggles at times. Also, most rookies, Jones included, are gonna have a hard tome with no running game and behind the sticks or scoreboard. I loved the Mac pick and had high hopes but it just isn't there. Ball comes out weird, and Zappe has more zip on the ball, I don't care who argues he doesn't. It's clear.

Mac obviously is not the starter. Anyone who says otherwise is whistling past the graveyard and letting the 1st round pick and "Bama days blind them. He does nothing well, or even above average. His strengths have not manifested themselves in any consistent way, even last year. This year has been an abject disaster and his running is an indicator of something be it inability to read coverage or whatnot.

Zappe probably isn't the answer either, but he seems to have a good ability to drop and pop when the game flow is in his favor. As a rookie, with extremely limited reps in practice it's not shocking he struggles at times. Also, most rookies, Jones included, are gonna have a hard tome with no running game and behind the sticks or scoreboard. I loved the Mac pick and had high hopes but it just isn't there. Ball comes out weird, and Zappe has more zip on the ball, I don't care who argues he doesn't. It's clear.

Thank you for the QB lesson.

Welcome by the way.

One thing I haven't seen discussed (and in fairness, it's waaay down the list of important things) is Marcus Jones last night. On the downside, wtf, take a touchback occasionally! On the upside, that play he made going horizontal to break up the pass? That was awesome. It would have been more awesome if he wasn't having to flash because he was 2 steps behind, but that closing speed and level of instincts! Can't wait to see this kid develop...

He's made some nice plays on D recently, but I've been disappointed in his kickoff returns. He looks a bit tentative or he did until he decided to spark the team by taking one out of the EZ and nearly had his head taken off. I'm not seeing the same acceleration he displayed as a KR in College, but that is possibly due to an abundance of caution so as not to fumble. He's barely managed to find a decent hole so far, although his punt returns have been pretty good, I believe. He looks inexperienced, which I should have expected.

I'm still high on him, but, as is sometimes the case, I may have been a victim to watching him dominate at a lower level of competition and projecting that to the pros to an extent. Patience
will be required, as it usually is.

Dugger didn't do much until this year, so I'm lowering my short-term expectations a bit on Marcus. That pick ruled OB last week when he was covering Amari Cooper was an eye-opening play, though. I believe it would have been overturned had it been reviewed, but they had to punt anyhow, so it wasn't worth risking a TO because there was no field position to be gained. I don't
know how often they had him on Cooper, but his stat line was only something like 12 targets for 4 receptions at one point. Seeing Jones covering a smaller, fast guy like Mooney was the kind of matchup I figured we'd see him in short-term.

And let's talk about another huge elephant in the room.

Jake Bailey. he was utter shite last night. He has not been kicking well for quite a while now. A ST focussed coach like Bill must be really annoyed about this.

I warned one of the LWs last night that Belichick defenses can scheme away almost anything, but struggle with extremely athletic players who gain energy from improving. Fields is a great example of that.

Mac's throws have way too much float in them. He should be giving the punter some of that float... :coffee:

Zap/E is the better QB...but, he needs to work on his shortcomings as well.

Mac obviously is not the starter. Anyone who says otherwise is whistling past the graveyard and letting the 1st round pick and "Bama days blind them.
This is kneejerk insult to thoughtful members here who truly understand football, both college and pro, and spend time analyzing games, plays, and players, and posting that information.

The signal to noise ratio on this forum is getting painful. I don't mean heated discussion. That is our right. I mean the repetitive work of three or so posters who dislike everything the Pats do and tell us the same thing several times a day in every thread, now including the Game Day thread, which was once carefully moderated.

I understand the doom and gloom, and long-term predictions based on one single game in an Any-Given-Sunday sport, where the best of players and best of teams throw up stinkers every now and then. No problem with that. Passionate fans need to vent. But there is no need for posts designed to troll responses and the constant barrage of carping and rancor.

The worst is the rising number of posts like the above, here by a newcomer, but more and more by long-time posters. "Here is how it is and if you don't agree with me something is wrong with you." WTF? This isn't discussion. Give the forum your opinions and and tell us why. You're not an idiot for thinking the way you do and neither am I.

I'm not singling you out, ViperGTS. The above post is simply a handy example. There are worse, much much worse. Rude and obnoxious posts not making any football comment but simply mean and vicious ad hominem attacks. There are rules here about respectfully discourse. They are not enforced. "This is not what we're looking for here." It's what we get unless something is actually done about it. Some option between permanent banning and doing nothing. Just a one or two week time-out will cause the respectful discourse to return.

Until then, the inmates will continue to determine the tenor of the asylum, and the price will be less football discussion...more noise to less signal.

End of my rant over last night's game. I'm on to the Jets.

Mac's throws have way too much float in them. He should be giving the punter some of that float... :coffee:

Zap/E is the better QB...but, he needs to work on his shortcomings as well.
Yeah I pretty much agree, but as I said I don't think Zappe has the complete package either but it is worth looking in to. I went at it with a lot of people back in '01 when Brady came in. I was right then, and I think I am right now. The visual test is all that I really need to go off of.

I'd run Zappe as QB1 the rest of the season and then see where you are at the end of it. If he looks great or is on an upward trajectory, great. If not, its back the the drawing board. This is why is was so damn critical that they had tanked and got Lawrence. If Zappe isn't it, that will be looked back upon as an utter failure. When a potential generational QB is available in the draft, you do whatever you have to.

Or BB if he is still here, is gonna throw the bag at Jackson in the offseason and that will be that. I'm to opposed to that idea either.

Yeah I pretty much agree, but as I said I don't think Zappe has the complete package either but it is worth looking in to. I went at it with a lot of people back in '01 when Brady came in. I was right then, and I think I am right now. The visual test is all that I really need to go off of.

I'd run Zappe as QB1 the rest of the season and then see where you are at the end of it. If he looks great or is on an upward trajectory, great. If not, its back the the drawing board. This is why is was so damn critical that they had tanked and got Lawrence. If Zappe isn't it, that will be looked back upon as an utter failure. When a potential generational QB is available in the draft, you do whatever you have to.

Or BB if he is still here, is gonna throw the bag at Jackson in the offseason and that will be that. I'm to opposed to that idea either.
You won't get a lot of traction (unless backlash is what you're looking for) around here arguing for tanking under any circumstances. Also, Bill would absolutely never - and he shouldn't, with only so many games left in his career even if you think it's okay generally - so it's beyond moot.

For those of us who wanted the Patriots to win last night, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I guess I'm a little glad for the Bears-they weren't expected to win, at all. I hope next week is a better game for the Pats.

I said the exact same thing! Lawrence is way better than Jones. sCam was a terrible experiment...

And let's talk about another huge elephant in the room.

Jake Bailey. he was utter shite last night. He has not been kicking well for quite a while now. A ST focussed coach like Bill must be really annoyed about this.
Excellent point as he was dreadful last night - both punting and on KO's.

Back