We're on to the Donkeys

In a world where trent balke et al exist, there's no way i can say elway is a terrible gm. he's proven to be a decrnt amount above average so far.

In a world where trent balke et al exist, there's no way i can say elway is a terrible gm. he's proven to be a decrnt amount above average so far.

Seriously. Mike Tannenbaum has now had two NFL GM jobs.

I never said Elway was a terrible GM. I said we need to pump the brakes a bit given this past off-season. He made some horrible moves and non-moves that cost his team a legit chance at repeating. What we saw on Sunday, that offense, that's on Elway along with that sieve for a run defense.

Yeah I think Elway has done a good job. This season was always going to be tough as Manning was gone, a decision had to be made on a long term QB and you had Von Miller, the outstanding league defensive player needing a contract and huge money. Siemian doesn't look too bad and Elway needs to plug several holes. Will be interesting to see what he can do.

I never said Elway was a terrible GM. I said we need to pump the brakes a bit given this past off-season. He made some horrible moves and non-moves that cost his team a legit chance at repeating. What we saw on Sunday, that offense, that's on Elway along with that sieve for a run defense.

Injuries hurt, Anderson is a big loss, the best move he made was not paying the Os.

Hard to knock him when built that defense, the oline is an issue but they started the year hoping to run with minimal passing and have tossed the rock over 40 times I think 4 times this year. it is a transition year, like 2008 after Brady went down and the offense was the same but much different.

Yeah I think Elway has done a good job. This season was always going tonne tough as Manning was gone, a decision had to be made on a long term QB and you had Von Miller, the outstanding league defensive player needing a contract and huge money. Siemian doesn't look too bad and Elway needs to plug several holes. Will be interesting to see what he can do.

They took Lynch high, hoping he'd be the guy, he's not. My guess is the Broncos will draft a QB every year in the 2nd or 3rd round, hoping to strike paydirt.

Injuries hurt, Anderson is a big loss, the best move he made was not paying the Os.

Hard to knock him when built that defense, the oline is an issue but they started the year hoping to run with minimal passing and have tossed the rock over 40 times I think 4 times this year. it is a transition year, like 2008 after Brady went down and the offense was the same but much different.

Sure, and he is still a newbie GM on top. As I have said before, Elway will largely be judged as a GM with what he does post-ManninHGH. He has to find THE guy at QB, no small task for sure but those are the stakes. His elite defense took a step back this year because in this era you just can't keep everyone which is why the path is much easier to success and more sustainable if you have the solid QB.

They took Lynch high, hoping he'd be the guy, he's not. My guess is the Broncos will draft a QB every year in the 2nd or 3rd round, hoping to strike paydirt.

Many were saying getting Romo in could be an answer. But he's older and his back looks gone. And it's not a long term answer.

It also burns that they could have had Prescott for nothing. They traded up to get Lynch.

Many were saying getting Romo in could be an answer. But he's older and his back looks gone. And it's not a long term answer.

Can you imagine Romo playing behind that offensive line? He'd have to sit out the preseason just to make it to the first regular season game.

... letting Osweiler walk and go with Rookie Contract guys is going to cancel out what Von Miller's making.

He has also been proven smart to not give Osweiler the big bucks and while Siemian doesn't appear to be a top QB prospect at this point, he did fairly well for a first-year starter and he was a much more cap-friendly alternative to the easy, safe move of keeping the guy the fans would have preferred.

I guess I'm the dissenting voice on Osweiler. He did just fine with the Broncos. The fact he is not doing fine with the Texans does not mean he wouldn't have done well with the Broncos. I believe that if after 2001 Brady had been traded to an air-it-out-every-play team with WRs like Ocho Cinco, Joey Gallaway, etc who were doing very well in that type of system, that Brady would be out of the NFL and be a one-year-wonder sidenote.

All this is supposition and opinion, I know, and we'll never know if the Broncos would have been better off with Osweiler than Simien, but I don't see a direct correlation between how a player does with different teams, that QBs aren't interchangeable parts. IMO, the team they play for (and its system, coaching, etc) has a huge effect on how successful a QB is.

I guess I'm the dissenting voice on Osweiler. He did just fine with the Broncos. The fact he is not doing fine with the Texans does not mean he wouldn't have done well with the Broncos. I believe that if after 2001 Brady had been traded to an air-it-out-every-play team with WRs like Ocho Cinco, Joey Gallaway, etc who were doing very well in that type of system, that Brady would be out of the NFL and be a one-year-wonder sidenote.

All this is supposition and opinion, I know.

Elway agreed with you as he offered Oz $16 mil/year and was calling him continually before the Texans signed him. Oz refused to return his calls as he was done with the Donks for the benching.

I think what's get lost in this is Oz was Elway's second round pick in 2012 and being groomed to be ManninHGH's replacement. I agree with you that he looked just fine and would have had more success in Denver than in Houston. But Kubes benched him because his RBs were fumbling the last game of the season and then Oz had to watch a decrepit ManninHGH get dragged to the title by Miller and company.

what if Elway put in Manning knowing he really only needed the D to win last year. This way, he could keep Os pay down. Or at least that is how Os saw it.

Well...yeah. Like a spread offense with short routes and only 2 seconds or so from snap to pass. That can hide pretty terrible blocking a lot of the time because the guys up front don't have to do much more than be there.

A ZBS run heavy offense with a lot of play action and long developing routes won't work without really solid blocking up front.

Are you new to football?

I guess I have to give reading lessons too...

I said a ZBS demands good blocking and a spread offense can hide terrible blocking.

OPT thought he was being clever when he mentioned offenses that demand shitty blocking, implying that all offenses need good blocking, when, in fact, you can hide bad blocking with scheme.

The hand holding some of you need is unreal.

Glad to know that the Pat's OL "blocking" had nothing to do with what happened in last year's AFCCG.

The play could have been arguable if not for the whole "flex" silliness that extended well after the flags were in the air. That's just being a dumbass.

If Edelman had the ball it could be arguable, without it, no way.

There's no justification to body slam someone that doesn't have the ball.

Glad to know that the Pat's OL "blocking" had nothing to do with what happened in last year's AFCCG.

Despite the horrible performance by the OL and not being able to run the football, they were still a missed extra point/2pt conversion away from OT

I have no clue what the "sceme" was, what I saw was 5 OL not being able to block 4 pass rushers. Brady couldn't even operate out of the shotgun the protection was so bad

I also think it has been officially confirmed that if we had Lewis in that AFCCG last year, we would have won.

Back