What are the last 5 Books you've read?

Just finished Born To Run, by Christopher McDougall. Highly recommended; I got it because of the NPR story that I heard a couple of months ago. It's non-fiction and tells the story of a tribe of Mexican Indians that are the best ultra-marathoners in the world.

Currently re-reading A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge. Really good hard SF story, for those that like that genre.

I also picked up Atlas Shrugged and will re-read that next. I've seen several "Who Is John Gault" bumper stickers here in central California the last month, and so I was thinking I'd be better able to integrate after a Randite immersion.

Ghosts by Noel Hynde
JLA/Batman: The Stone King
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires - Selwyn Raab
Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's Story of Life in the Mafia - Peter Maas
Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story - Kurt Eichenwald.. Enron stuff
Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay.. A charming Miami serial killer

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) - Stephenie Meyer.. on recommendation by my best friend who is absolutely obsessed with this series..

One of the worst books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. If I didn't need someone to go to Marlins games with me I would so disown her for bringing this series to my attention. The female lead is an irritating Mary Sue and the male lead is a stalker. And women everywhere go crazy. :banghead: The book is so bad, that it actually becomes hilarious.

The movie was better y'all. :coffee:

Finished Atlas Shrugged

Put down Team of Rivals so I could read Where Men Win Glory

Pat Tillman was one very interesting individual, and the stories of military bureaucracy leading to the death of soldiers, while as old as armed conflict itself, are still maddening.

On Food and Cooking
Elements of Legal Style
American Gods
Carter Beats the Devil
A Song of Ice and Fire (Whichever book is currently the last one out, I don't remember the title)

Finished Atlas Shrugged

Put down Team of Rivals so I could read Where Men Win Glory

Pat Tillman was one very interesting individual, and the stories of military bureaucracy leading to the death of soldiers, while as old as armed conflict itself, are still maddening.

Just finished Atlas Shrugged myself about a week ago. Currently reading Catastrophe.

"All Souls" by Michael Patrick Mcdonald. True story about life in the projects of South Boston. Great book if you remember the seventies, bussing, the eventual integration of an all-white Irish territory, from the inside.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Whichever book is currently the last one out, I don't remember the title)

That would be A Feast For Crows - the next one out will be A Dance With Dragons, but Martin has been struggling to finish it. The latest word is that it may be done sometime this fall.

That would be A Feast For Crows - the next one out will be A Dance With Dragons, but Martin has been struggling to finish it. The latest word is that it may be done sometime this fall.

I thought the first 3 books of the series were genuinely great. The latest two have been fairly lackluster and messy. He should take his time finishing the last one(s)

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
My Work is Not Yet Done by Thomas Ligotti
The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos by S. T. Joshi

If you're a horror fan and a fan of well written literature, you really should check out Thomas Ligotti. This guy has written some of the most unique horror stories that Annihilus has read in many years. He's not for everyone and occasionally you need to read a paragraph 3 times before fully understanding it because of the complex structure that he uses, but he's got a helluva unique voice. You'll probably either love him or hate him.

I don't think any other book has taken me longer to finish than Atlas Shrugged. What a drag. :)

I took a while to get going, but from the part where Dagny "found" the valley it moved right along, especially the last couple hundred pages.

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
My Work is Not Yet Done by Thomas Ligotti
The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos by S. T. Joshi

If you're a horror fan and a fan of well written literature, you really should check out Thomas Ligotti. This guy has written some of the most unique horror stories that Annihilus has read in many years. He's not for everyone and occasionally you need to read a paragraph 3 times before fully understanding it because of the complex structure that he uses, but he's got a helluva unique voice. You'll probably either love him or hate him.

horror writer in what vein? I loved King about 25-30 years ago, read everything he wrote. Would I find a similar fascination with this guy? I don't like dumb shit, I like stuff that freaks you out.

Martin pisses me off. He's been working on a hundred other projects rather than focus on the series that the vast majority of people are interested in. I understand the whole "writer's block" syndrome, but if you check out his website, he's traveling, working on collaborative works, working on cheesy toy projects, etc.

He's been dragging out the next book of the series for years now... many of his fans are pissed off at him; it's interesting to see peoples' comments on his website, and how quickly they get deleted.

horror writer in what vein? I loved King about 25-30 years ago, read everything he wrote. Would I find a similar fascination with this guy? I don't like dumb shit, I like stuff that freaks you out.

His style is not really in any vein, though if there are any comparisons to be made, it would probably be to Lovecraft. Ligotti is a very literate writer and his story worlds are very surreal. There are some pretty freaky stories, to be sure. His strength is in weaving his own creepy world that his stories are set in rather than taking place in our own boring reality.

My favorite was the one where this guy is being followed around by this clown puppet that just hung suspended in mid-air. The vibe is really creepy and many times the endings of his stories aren't tied up in a neat bow, so if that's a necessity for you, then you probably wouldn't like his stuff. He's pretty much stuck to short stories (with a novellette or two).

His style is not really in any vein, though if there are any comparisons to be made, it would probably be to Lovecraft. Ligotti is a very literate writer and his story worlds are very surreal. There are some pretty freaky stories, to be sure. His strength is in weaving his own creepy world that his stories are set in rather than taking place in our own boring reality.

My favorite was the one where this guy is being followed around by this clown puppet that just hung suspended in mid-air. The vibe is really creepy and many times the endings of his stories aren't tied up in a neat bow, so if that's a necessity for you, then you probably wouldn't like his stuff. He's pretty much stuck to short stories (with a novellette or two).

actually, that sounds interesting. Suggest a good starter title for me and I'll check him out. Sometimes I get tired of political non-fiction and need a diversion.

actually, that sounds interesting. Suggest a good starter title for me and I'll check him out. Sometimes I get tired of political non-fiction and need a diversion.

Teatro Grottesco is probably the best place to start; it's his latest collection of short stories. Annihilus has never met anyone else that has read Ligotti, it will be interesting to see what you think.

I'm currently about half-way through "A Confederacy of Dunces" and it is one of the best books I have ever read.

I would rate Ignatius Reilly second only to Holden Caulfield on my list of greatest literary characters of all time.

Teatro Grottesco is probably the best place to start; it's his latest collection of short stories. Annihilus has never met anyone else that has read Ligotti, it will be interesting to see what you think.

Just wrote it down and stuck it in my wallet. Going to Borders next weekend (O.Z.O. Jr.'s art teacher is having a signing for a comic book he just published), I'll pick up a copy then.

Back