What color is this dress?

There are those would would differ. I say white & gold but my opinion isnt universal.

You didn't say "colors". You said "color".

If you had said "colors", I would have said white and gold. But you didn't.

The dress is white with gold accents.

Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder says it is black all black everything.

OK, mystery solved. If you're on a laptop looking at the dress straight on, it's white with gold.

If you tip the screen back, it's blue with black.

You're welcome.

Wait, is this not the correct answer?

Apparently there are multiple answers. And I agreed w/Mrs AWTE so I'm in the clear but a lot of people see a black and royal blue dress.

Cannot for the life of me see the blue and black, which is what I've read it actually is according to the owner.

B-0mNAzUAAAffRG.jpg

Apparently there are multiple answers. And I agreed w/Mrs AWTE so I'm in the clear but a lot of people see a black and royal blue dress.

First I saw White and gold. Later, Black and blue, now Gold and blue. Any idea what up with that?

Dr. O_P_T?

Cheers

OK, mystery solved. If you're on a laptop looking at the dress straight on, it's white with gold. If you tip the screen back, it's blue with black. You're welcome.
It actually has to do with how we perceive light. My students and I were looking at the same image; half saw blue/black, some saw white/gold.

Those who see well in the dark, like myself, saw a blue/black. The others saw white/gold.

A student showed me an article in this (can't post it now, will later) that explains this phenomenon .

Did anybody besides me think this is an overexposed image and therefore the colors didn't come out right?

I must have super sight, because my eyes can easily tell the difference between blue and black or white and gold. Not in this crappy pic, though.

This craze is a good example of the insanity that is the modern 'net.

Did anybody besides me think this is an overexposed image and therefore the colors didn't come out right?

I must have super sight, because my eyes can easily tell the difference between blue and black or white and gold. Not in this crappy pic, though.

This craze is a good example of the insanity that is the modern 'net.

When AWTE first posted it, I hadn't been on the web much yesterday, so I thought it was just a disagreement he was having with his wife.

One which he wouldn't win, no matter what.

Then I checked into my social media sites and saw how viral it was. And now we all know what is meant by the dumbing down of America.

Here's the picture with a white background next to it. There's no angle at which it doesn't look blue (zoom right in so all you can see is the sleeve and next to the white background - that dress ain't white, off-white, or any shade of white).

bielunqh8ydosgdpwmnj.jpg

Also, the other color is neither gold nor black. It looks like copper, or maybe a dully, muddy gold (if the lighting is hitting it wrong).

I found this "The Science of Why No One Agrees On The Color of This Dress".

One of the electives that I've been teaching for about 12 years now is a philosophy course that centers of epistemology; in other words, how we as human beings actually "know" things.
One way in humans "know" things is through perception; seeing, listening, smelling, etc., are all ways in which we learn things. However, all of our senses can be "tricked".

Here is a FASCINATING video (it's in four parts; the links to parts 2-4 are on the side) on how our sense of sight works and can be manipulated. Great stuff. It's a fun class to teach.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl7cgh_horizon-do-you-see-what-i-see-part-1-4_shortfilms

Back