What is BB REALLY Up To? Your Conspiracy Theories Welcomed.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Ahem.

I, along with virtually all interested observers, can't make much sense of the "game plan" we just witnessed vs. Miami with home field advantage on the line.

Was he trying to get Steven Jackson going? Afraid to run an air attack with injuries and a shaky Oline? Why was he playing McCourty, Amendola and Ninkovich and not Chandler and Hightower? Why did the offense move right down the field to open the second half and then barely move the ball in the other 55 minutes?

These questions and more have been asked, but not many answers make a whole lot of sense. This leads my suspicious mind to consider that Bill never does anything just for the hell of it. His decisions always have a purpose that is often not understood until after the fact when hindsight allows us follow what he was planning all along.

So......why? What the hell was Belichick doing anyhow? How does all of this add up to a huge return to form a week from Saturday?

My take: He has decided that this team needs to be doubted to perform at it's best. The added motivation of Deflategate/national scorn helped focus the team as a group throughout the undefeated stretch and he is going to use the return of several key players along with a masterful psyops campaign to get rid of the late-season malaise after that wore off to get the teams' mind right.

He could not have fully achieved this had they not felt the frustration of losing winnable games and entering the playoffs as a team perceived as too wounded to compete by many, including, perhaps, their opponents and many in their own fan base. The game film from the last few weeks tells a tale that may actually be a Trojan Horse. A smokescreen. A subterfuge. Bill is playing mind games again.

Many coaches are playing checkers. Just a few play chess, but BB plays Vulcan 3D chess. Doubt him and the Patriots at your peril.

My theory is kind of similar. Here goes:

Every team in the NFL wants to play the Patriots, wants to beat the best team in the league. They come out and they play to kill, play their hardest. So now the Patriots have lost to three teams in Philly, Jets, Phins that they should have beaten, especially the Phins and Philly given their pathetic showing this year. So now the rest of the league thinks they're vulnerable, that if THOSE teams beat the mighty Patriots, then they're beatable and "we have a shot".

So now maybe they don't take the Pats as seriously, maybe they don't play as hard, maybe they think they've figured out the weaknesses looking at the film of those games.

And then, BAM! The team comes out healthy, strong, plays to their strengths, has a complex game plan unlike the milky vanilla shit they've been playing, and Belichick twists his Snidely Whiplash mustache in their collective faces knowing that he outsmarted them all again.

Yeh, I always try to forget that the other team plays defensive football. Sometime they do a pretty good job of it especially when the opposition is undermanned and hampered by injuries.

Then again, maybe the explanation that BB threw the game or doesn't know what he is doing is a good one.

I don't think he's up to anything. I think the team has sucked and gone full conservative after injuries and has no fire and emotion whatsoever. I'm sure we'll be fine once the playoffs start though.

I don't think he's up to anything. I think the team has sucked and gone full conservative after injuries and has no fire and emotion whatsoever. I'm sure we'll be fine once the playoffs start though.

Both Amendola and Gronk were targeted twice, TWICE, this past game.

I'm going with, um, no.

Don't know for sure, but for sure he's up to something.

Cheers, BostonTim

Maybe because he wanted to avoid injuries to two players he had already lost for a few games this season.

So what was the excuse for not playing to LaFell, Harper or White, after he showed some success? Or if you want to save players from injury, Scott Chandler?

I mean, let's face it, that was an audition for SJax to see what he had left and a "let's not show anything" for the playoffs.

Ahem.

I, along with virtually all interested observers, can't make much sense of the "game plan" we just witnessed vs. Miami with home field advantage on the line.

Was he trying to get Steven Jackson going? Afraid to run an air attack with injuries and a shaky Oline? Why was he playing McCourty, Amendola and Ninkovich and not Chandler and Hightower? Why did the offense move right down the field to open the second half and then barely move the ball in the other 55 minutes?

These questions and more have been asked, but not many answers make a whole lot of sense. This leads my suspicious mind to consider that Bill never does anything just for the hell of it. His decisions always have a purpose that is often not understood until after the fact when hindsight allows us follow what he was planning all along.

So......why? What the hell was Belichick doing anyhow? How does all of this add up to a huge return to form a week from Saturday?

My take: He has decided that this team needs to be doubted to perform at it's best. The added motivation of Deflategate/national scorn helped focus the team as a group throughout the undefeated stretch and he is going to use the return of several key players along with a masterful psyops campaign to get rid of the late-season malaise after that wore off to get the teams' mind right.

He could not have fully achieved this had they not felt the frustration of losing winnable games and entering the playoffs as a team perceived as too wounded to compete by many, including, perhaps, their opponents and many in their own fan base. The game film from the last few weeks tells a tale that may actually be a Trojan Horse. A smokescreen. A subterfuge. Bill is playing mind games again.

Many coaches are playing checkers. Just a few play chess, but BB plays Vulcan 3D chess. Doubt him and the Patriots at your peril.

OK, regarding the 5 passes in the first half, I recall reading (Reiss?) that for much of the 1st half the Pats were in the two TE formation (Gronk and Williams) and Miami was in the nickel.

With such a personnel grouping on both sides, running the ball was the better match up.

Of course they couldn't really run the ball worth a damn against a defense that wasn't very good against the run, but that's another topic.

Regarding that first drive in the second half, 68 of the 80 yards was on the White pass and run, so I'm not sure that one can say that the offense was doing what ever they wanted on that drive, they had one big play.

Regarding who played and who didn't, what were the various injuries and what were the chances of making it worse playing?

There are some injuries that there is not much risk of further injury,if you play before you're healthy,and others that there is some/more risk.

Does that explain who played and who didn't? :shrug_n:

I certainly think that the Oline play and receivers they have on the field definitely affected the play call in recent weeks.

Never mind the kneel down at the half, but how about the gadget plays.

I mean we did run the frickin wildcat against the Jets fer christs sake.

If we had more options on offense, would we be taking TFB+ out from under center?

My theory is kind of similar. Here goes:

Every team in the NFL wants to play the Patriots, wants to beat the best team in the league. They come out and they play to kill, play their hardest. So now the Patriots have lost to three teams in Philly, Jets, Phins that they should have beaten, especially the Phins and Philly given their pathetic showing this year. So now the rest of the league thinks they're vulnerable, that if THOSE teams beat the mighty Patriots, then they're beatable and "we have a shot".

So now maybe they don't take the Pats as seriously, maybe they don't play as hard, maybe they think they've figured out the weaknesses looking at the film of those games.

And then, BAM! The team comes out healthy, strong, plays to their strengths, has a complex game plan unlike the milky vanilla shit they've been playing, and Belichick twists his Snidely Whiplash mustache in their collective faces knowing that he outsmarted them all again.

OH! So you are saying Belichick is SO ARROGANT that he tanks games and then thinks he can turn them around ANYTIME HE WANTS?

:eek:

No, that's not what you are saying at all, but that's the kind of shit I've been hearing.

Regarding "complex game plans", it seems like everybody seems satisfied with the 2 TE set vs. nickel D equals must run explanation for what we saw Sunday and to an extent two weeks ago, because BB himself said that both teams stayed primarily in the nickel and we simply responded as was fitting and proper.

And that makes perfect sense. It's a totally rational explanation except for the fact that what it signifies, moving forward, that there is no reason for any opposing D to play with less than 5 DBs versus us since we can't run the ball vs. a six man front and the Patriots will simply choose to run every time you show nickel.

I call bullshit on that.

I agree that we couldn't run last week or the week before, but we can run. I'm saying Bill is happy to have folks thinking we are dead in the water and have no options, no ability to dictate coverage. He's got a plan to deal with the nickel and dime. We've thrown at nickel and dime and chewed it apart without really needing to run much so many times it's ridiculous and I do not believe for one second that we could not have mounted a more effective offense with the guys we've had in there if we really had to. We were laying in the weeds.

I was down after the last two games and by Monday morning I felt like I have seen this movie before. I changed my mindset and am looking forward to Belichick's Trojan Horse rolling in past Kansas City's (or whoever) walls and seeing what happens when the trap door springs open.

We are going to look like a totally different team in another 9 days. We'll be fine. I feel very confident of that.

Maybe time is catching up with Old BB and TB. Perhaps the Pats just aren't as good as they once were.

I have a lot of trouble believing that BB would sacrifice several games and the 1 seed for the ability to lay in the weeds a little bit for what would ostensibly be a minor advantage that would last for 1 game (because really, after they spring their trap on some unprepared, unsuspecting team, the jig is up, the ruse revealed, advantage spent and lost).

Playing vanilla because of injuries, sure. The O Line and replacement players genuinely suck, ok.

Sent by the voices inside my head

Koppen recently talked about how years ago Bill walked into an offensive meeting stated they will run the ball every play until they get two first downs in a row. It was to change to tone of the oline.

Could this have been a similar deal?

Back