What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

The Outsider is...different.

Based on Stephen King's best-selling novel of the same name, "The Outsider" begins by following an investigation which at first seems like it will be simple and straightforward but things change as it leads into the gruesome murder of a young boy by a seasoned cop. When an insidious supernatural force edges its way into the case, it leads the investigators to question everything they believe in. The character of Holly Gibney from "Mr. Mercedes" is a major character in this series.

Been watching the old Grizzly Adams TV show recently. Superb. Even though it holds some false premises it clearly is a fine example of the rationality needed to deal with nature as a man.

True rugged individualism and a respect for reality is on full display.

Had the frontiersmen believed that reality was malleable none would have made it past 5 years old.

Existence exists. Reality is solid and immutable.

Can you imagine those that believe reality is whatever we think it is ever surviving in such circumstances.

On top of that, Dan Haggerty's performance as Adams is truly wonderful. Such a kind, benevolent man with the kindest eyes and the utmost respect for the natural world.

This benevolence is only possible to an honest man that respects reality.

https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r...ec584997580ff31e/160115-news-dan-haggerty.jpg

Wow, that takes me back to the 80s! I haven't seen it since. It's something I think of as being set in a quintessentially "American" setting - the wild outdoors and close to real nature.

We really enjoy "Bureau", which is about the French DGSE, their equivalent of CIA or MI6. The main character is an operative who gets deeper and deeper into his own shit. The stories are, of course, embellished but some of it feels authentic (like not knowing your colleagues' real identities and the actors being normal looking). It's on Sundance Now, via Prime.

The other one I love is Spiral - Engrenages. It follows Parisian homocide detectives who constantly straddle the line between wanting to do right and doing illegal stuff to get a conviction. Both series have that dark edge that I love and are both written with "inside help". I'm not a fan of bright and shiny. It's also on Sundance.

My current favourite is Godless. It is absolutely superb. It's a Western miniseries set in the 1880s. As a warning, it is very dark and shows a very unpleasant view of life back then. It's on Netflix.

As an aside, the Internet has revolutionised how we watch telly and I love it. 30 years ago, we had to wait for US series to eventually come out on UK telly. Thankfully, those days are way behind us.

Finally, is anyone watching Picard?

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

The Mandalorian is excellent. Straight space western and the finest thing out of the Star Wars galaxy yet. Better than the movies, imo. If this thing wasn't released weekly I would have binged it until dawn.

Another one I ran across that I really enjoyed was the Sci-Fi channel series "The Magicians" on Netflix. It isn't perfect and the time travel stuff can be really confusing to keep straight, but it's sort of a Harry Potter goes to College story and features a fine ensemble cast, a lot of hip, snappy dialogue and comical/absurd situations. It's got hot chicks, drugs and is basically a LOTR-style quest where a bunch of friends try to figure out a way to save the universe from evil. Not bad for fans of the genre.

Mrs Cat is a fan of Magicians. The Mandalorian has good reviews so will have to check it out.

We really enjoy "Bureau", which is about the French DGSE, their equivalent of CIA or MI6. The main character is an operative who gets deeper and deeper into his own shit. The stories are, of course, embellished but some of it feels authentic (like not knowing your colleagues' real identities and the actors being normal looking). It's on Sundance Now, via Prime.

The other one I love is Spiral - Engrenages. It follows Parisian homocide detectives who constantly straddle the line between wanting to do right and doing illegal stuff to get a conviction. Both series have that dark edge that I love and are both written with "inside help". I'm not a fan of bright and shiny. It's also on Sundance.

My current favourite is Godless. It is absolutely superb. It's a Western miniseries set in the 1880s. As a warning, it is very dark and shows a very unpleasant view of life back then. It's on Netflix.

As an aside, the Internet has revolutionised how we watch telly and I love it. 30 years ago, we had to wait for US series to eventually come out on UK telly. Thankfully, those days are way behind us.

Finally, is anyone watching Picard?

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Mrs Cat is a fan of Magicians. The Mandalorian has good reviews so will have to check it out.

Nice post. Your thought on detective stuff... Have you seen bosch on Amazon Prime. Dark, very real. No nonsense.Cheers

And say meow to Mrs. Cat.

Cheers

Nice post. Your thought on detective stuff... Have you seen bosch on Amazon Prime. Dark, very real. No nonsense.Cheers

And say meow to Mrs. Cat.

Cheers

Ah, yes. Great reminder about Bosch. He's a great character and Titus Welliver feels very much like the Bosch from the books. He'd fit in very well with the Spiral guys, with his occasional disregard for legal niceties (hat tip to your former profession!).

Thanks for the greeting. I hope you're well and, like me, wondering what happens next for the Pats.

Am 3/4 the way through Pennyworth right now.

Not your Father's Alfred.

Twisted, very Twisted, in a good way.

I am presently watching Cheers on Netflix. I forgot how funny that show was.

Narcos Mexico Season 2.

Excellent series. All the Narcos.

Can’t get past how much the lead guy looks like Patrice Bergeron tho.

Am 3/4 the way through Pennyworth right now.

Not your Father's Alfred.

Twisted, very Twisted, in a good way.

Finished season 1 the other day.

Holy excrement batman.

giphy.gif

Highly recommended.

A few months ago, we binge-watched a British show called "Doc Martin", about a doctor with a sea-side practice in a small, beautiful village. We watched every episode, about 9 years worth! The characters and plots kept our interest up. Everybody's quirky, no one more than Dr. Martin Ellingham. He has absolutely zero social skills towards his patients, and it's all pretty funny. We got the shows free through Amazon and Acorn TV, that we did a free trial with.

I used to binge-watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I really enjoyed that show.

Oh, I forgot, I binge-watched most of the episodes of "Route '66" recently. An old early-60's show. It's a show that I knew existed when I was like 5 or 6, but didn't really watch. I wouldn't have really understood it then, of course. It was a drama. Now, I love to watch those old shows I knew the names of when I was really young, but didn't watch, or could really understand. Like The Real Mccoys, Have Gun-Will Travel, Maverick, Perry Mason, Ben Casey, The Millionaire....

I just looked up "The Millionaire", and it was on tv up to 1960. It must've had re-runs in the mid-60's, or I wouldn't have known about it.

Been watching the old Grizzly Adams TV show recently. Superb. Even though it holds some false premises it clearly is a fine example of the rationality needed to deal with nature as a man.

True rugged individualism and a respect for reality is on full display.

Had the frontiersmen believed that reality was malleable none would have made it past 5 years old.

Existence exists. Reality is solid and immutable.

Can you imagine those that believe reality is whatever we think it is ever surviving in such circumstances.

On top of that, Dan Haggerty's performance as Adams is truly wonderful. Such a kind, benevolent man with the kindest eyes and the utmost respect for the natural world.

This benevolence is only possible to an honest man that respects reality.

https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r...ec584997580ff31e/160115-news-dan-haggerty.jpg
That was a great show! It kind of reminds me of the movie 'Jeremiah Johnson', with Robert Redford in a great performance as a 'mountain man'...I've read about actor Dan Haggerty-I believe he was a real animal trainer, along with other animal-related occupations. You wrote a nice characterization of him. Wasn't the actor Denver Pyle in that show? Or am I thinking of the movie 'Jeremiah Johnson'? He was a fine actor, also.

That was a great show! It kind of reminds me of the movie 'Jeremiah Johnson', with Robert Redford in a great performance as a 'mountain man'...I've read about actor Dan Haggerty-I believe he was a real animal trainer, along with other animal-related occupations. You wrote a nice characterization of him. Wasn't the actor Denver Pyle in that show? Or am I thinking of the movie 'Jeremiah Johnson'? He was a fine actor, also.

Yep, Denver (Uncle Jesse) Pyle was in it as well. Great performances by him. :)

And yes, Dan Haggerty really had a beautiful way with animals.

You. Season one and two

Yes, very good. Granted I liked season one more.

Started The Outsider on HBO... Jason Bateman is good in the first two episodes before he (spoiler alert) left the show :p

But it made me want to watch Ozark on Netflix. Two seasons are out there with a third dropping later this month. Really good show and am now a fan of Laura Linney (I wasn't before). Her character really evolves and good plot twists in this one.

Forgot to mention before, but watched The Witcher.

Pretty good.

I have the books, but haven't read them yet.

Played the first two RP games (have the third, but haven't played it yet), so I was familiar with the basic story.

Worth watching.

Back