What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

fca5af94857f96e82ec3c8c52ce91b2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Cape is yet another show in the Flagg Favorites That Got Cancelled After a Bizarrely Short Run category, is free to binge on the NBC app. Just 1 season. Not amazing, but better than most of the crap on TV by a good margin.

One show that I almost always enjoy streaming is "Alone" (Netflix). I'm just finishing up Season 8 and have followed most seasons.

A dozen people get separately dropped way out in the wilderness with just a few tools or personal items and they must acquire their own food and shelter. The last one
remaining after the others have tapped out wins a half million bucks, but, money, as you will see, isn't everything. Almost all the people who attempt it are wilderness experts, guides
or instructors. This isn't "Survivor" or any other bullshit reality show.

Season 8 is set at a lake in British Columbia beginning in early fall and will last until well into brutal winter conditions. As if that isn't enough this area
is chock full of grizzly bears that sometimes threaten the lives of the participants. Even without the bears this is an insane challenge, but with them it's completely nuts.

So, from the comfort of your couch you watch people experience extreme levels of isolation, starvation, deprivation, depression, terror, elation and transcendent joy.

The contestants film themselves every day and often get very reflective and deep over the course of their struggles and the longer they are out there the more raw it gets. The knowledge, skill and inventive genius some of these folk display can be amazing. You'll never see somebody happier to catch a big fish than one who hasn't eaten any meat in weeks, nor one more devastated when that fish spits the hook when they almost have it in their hands.

Their existence gradually dwindles down to a slim thread where one decision can doom them or get them over the hump. It's personal responsibility and self-reliance to an extreme that most modern humans will never approach and I consider it surprising that nobody has died in the process. So far.

It's a hardcore, serious reality show with very little in the way of glitz or artifice to make it more watchable. I'm hooked.

I love "Alone". It is perhaps the best of the entire Survival genre. Or Les Stroud.

I tried watching that Snowflakes one on Netflix and couldn't make it all the way through the first episode. For me, it was way too overproduced with far too much emphasis on making it more dramatic than it needed to be.

I am now watching Stranger Things from the beginning. Had previously only seen seasons 1 and 2.

Terminal List with Chris Pratt from the book written by friend and brother in philosophy Jack Carr, former Navy Seal sniper.

Released on July 1st.

Just got off a podcast with Jack. Good man.

Don't know if this will do any justice to the the book but if Chris Pratt wanted this part I'm hopeful.

View: https://youtu.be/0Bj9l0OS5Og

Finished watching "Alone" Season 8, I think I've watched all the seasons now.
I'm now onto season 2 of "Secrets of skin walker ranch "

Any “Umbrella Academy” fans out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you like that you should try Doom Patrol if you haven't already, another bizarre offbeat super hero dramedy. It's a little more goofy and sometimes more corny than UA but much deeper character development and they are actually likeable. I like UA but if all of the main characters die it wouldn't phase me in the least.

One show that I almost always enjoy streaming is "Alone" (Netflix). I'm just finishing up Season 8 and have followed most seasons.

A dozen people get separately dropped way out in the wilderness with just a few tools or personal items and they must acquire their own food and shelter. The last one
remaining after the others have tapped out wins a half million bucks, but, money, as you will see, isn't everything. Almost all the people who attempt it are wilderness experts, guides
or instructors. This isn't "Survivor" or any other bullshit reality show.

Season 8 is set at a lake in British Columbia beginning in early fall and will last until well into brutal winter conditions. As if that isn't enough this area
is chock full of grizzly bears that sometimes threaten the lives of the participants. Even without the bears this is an insane challenge, but with them it's completely nuts.

So, from the comfort of your couch you watch people experience extreme levels of isolation, starvation, deprivation, depression, terror, elation and transcendent joy.

The contestants film themselves every day and often get very reflective and deep over the course of their struggles and the longer they are out there the more raw it gets. The knowledge, skill and inventive genius some of these folk display can be amazing. You'll never see somebody happier to catch a big fish than one who hasn't eaten any meat in weeks, nor one more devastated when that fish spits the hook when they almost have it in their hands.

Their existence gradually dwindles down to a slim thread where one decision can doom them or get them over the hump. It's personal responsibility and self-reliance to an extreme that most modern humans will never approach and I consider it surprising that nobody has died in the process. So far.

It's a hardcore, serious reality show with very little in the way of glitz or artifice to make it more watchable. I'm hooked.

It's also on The History Channel.

My wife watches it there.

Just started "Churchill's Secret Agents: The New Recruits" on Netflix.

It recreates the recruiting and training program for Special Operations Executive (SOE) during WWII. They claim to use the same training and tests as what was originally done.

SOE was a spy and sabotage organization that infiltrated people into mainland Europe to make life "difficult" for the Germans.

Pretty good so far.

Interesting some of the training and testing they did on these people. Clearly designed to have people be creative in their thought process and how they address any give test/challenge.

For example, one test has each team being told to retrieve a radio from a floating platform in a pond. They are given rope, wood, barrels, etc. and the obvious thing is to build a raft to go get it.

However, for one of the teams, a member walked around the pond and found a fully assembled raft that they used to go get the radio.

Ok finished this and can strongly recommend it.

Gives you a good idea of just what bad asses those SOE agents were.

For most of the training exercises, they describe a real historical event that an SOE agent experienced that relates to the exercise.

Back