What was the last show you binged, and was it worth the time?

How many of you have Kodi on firestick? I don't know why it has taken me so long to get it. Any show anytime I want. Best thing ever. If you are a binge watcher you need it.

I do, though it is on a Fire TV box rather than the stick as I wanted a hard network connection (and the better hardware).

Lot of turmoil in the add-on community lately. One of the biggest distributors of popular add-ons has been just about shut down because of a lawsuit (in Canada). Need to be a little more nimble with configuration these days, and stay away from those addons that use bit torrent.

Kodi is usually my last choice though depending on what I am looking to watch. I pay for Netflix, Prime, DISH, and until very recently, Sling. I'll use these other services first, and I refuse to watch any CAM recording movie on Kodi. I honestly do not understand how people can do that. Not a big deal to wait for a few months for me.

Kodi was the reason I chose Fire over Roku, though I got a free Roku from Sling. I may try out the AirTV box in the future as it is also a Android box (and integrates Sling and OTA into a single interface).

I do, though it is on a Fire TV box rather than the stick as I wanted a hard network connection (and the better hardware).

Lot of turmoil in the add-on community lately. One of the biggest distributors of popular add-ons has been just about shut down because of a lawsuit (in Canada). Need to be a little more nimble with configuration these days, and stay away from those addons that use bit torrent.

Kodi is usually my last choice though depending on what I am looking to watch. I pay for Netflix, Prime, DISH, and until very recently, Sling. I'll use these other services first, and I refuse to watch any CAM recording movie on Kodi. I honestly do not understand how people can do that. Not a big deal to wait for a few months for me.

Kodi was the reason I chose Fire over Roku, though I got a free Roku from Sling. I may try out the AirTV box in the future as it is also a Android box (and integrates Sling and OTA into a single interface).

This was the medium I was looking into for content delivery-Kodi overFirebox/stick.

Is it your last choice strictly in trying to do it proper via the subscription services you own or some other preference? And why?

Are people ever busted/convicted via the Kodi delivery?

I just don't understand the specifics and thus continue to get assraped by Verizon.

Hey man, I dont know you but i have to say that that is stealing man. If I learned one thing when my ISP ratted me out to Netflix for downloading episodes of Daredevil via torrent sites, and then throttled my internet connection to a near standstill while I dealt with outsourced customer service representatives living in Bangladesh or Nepal or Sri Lanka or someplace, ultimately having to take their Copyright Infringement Re-Education class online and pass their I Promise I Wont Do It Again Test, it was that stealing TV shows is not a victimless crime. So be careful, man. There is no greater punishment than having to ask "Steve" to repeat himself 37 times while you try to explain that you actually have a paid in full Netflix account and have had one for going on three years, and so why would I be downloading Daredevil episodes when I could just watch them any time, any where with said account.

All that is to say that, yes, i have a Kodi Firestick (with Exodus add on). And yes it is indeed awesome.

Its no different than watching videos on youtube...

The Cam uploads are worthless...people in the background scratching their nuts, farting, talking in the mic, shaking the cam, people blocking the cam...:coffee:

This was the medium I was looking into for content delivery-Kodi overFirebox/stick.

Is it your last choice strictly in trying to do it proper via the subscription services you own or some other preference? And why?

Are people ever busted/convicted via the Kodi delivery?

I just don't understand the specifics and thus continue to get assraped by Verizon.

Few disclaimers for others who may read. (this will be long)

Kodi is media playing software. It is open source. It has no content. Many use it to stream their own library. It is 100% legal on its own.

There are "add-ons" available made by other parties that integrate into Kodi. Some are supported by the Kodi developers, some are not.

When people talk about using Kodi, it is in combination with these 3rd party add-ons (like Exodus). What these addons do is scrape the web for whatever you are looking to watch. The add-ons do not host any content either, they are more or less just convenient search engines.

The content is out there on the web in single media files. This is not bittorrent. It is not file sharing. If you went to a search engine, you could probably find these same media files and play them in your browser.

Some are of the opinion that this is illegal - that you are stealing copyrighted content without paying for it. Others are of the opinion that it is more gray. You generally are not downloading the content to keep - you are just streaming (watching) what is already out there for a single use.

There are also 3rd party addons that DO use torrent. It is inadvisable to use these without also using a VPN.

I have not heard of any end users getting in any kind of trouble with the law OR their ISP for just streaming files over http. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I have not read about any. If they go after anyone, it is the providers. People DO get flagged by their ISP for torrenting content.

To your question regarding my preference, it is mainly convenience and quality. For example, as I said a few pages ago, we are currently binging Dexter. I run all of my streaming off my Fire. Very easy to go into Netflix and pick up where I left off with a flawless HD episode of Dexter in Dolby Digital + 5.1.

I could watch it on Kodi instead, but then each episode may be hosted on a different site, and may vary in quality. Most should be HD, but nearly all will be in 2.0 audio. Subtitles are less reliable. Every next episode, it has to re-search the providers. Now, none of this is difficult, it is very easy to do, and takes less than 30 seconds, but in almost every case, if the content is available on Prime or Netflix or Hulu, the quality and speed will be better.

There are people that are making a lot of money buying Fire sticks, or Nvidia Shields, or cheap Chinese android boxes, absolutely loading them to the gills with Kodi and every addon they can find (and sometimes some things that are not so safe), and then selling these bloated boxes for a premium. If you have ANY ability to use a computer, it is not necessary to pay for this. After you buy your hardware of choice, all of this software is free and fairly easy to install. These boxes are typically overloaded and slow, and then when you need a manual update of any sort, you need to learn how to do it anyway or it stops working well.

One of the more popular websites for add-ons recently had some trouble. They are based in Canada, and their site was shut down. Many of the most popular add-ons stopped working. So with a little bit of knowledge and search skills, you can go out and find new addons and new repos to watch your content, but it takes a little work and time.

Those who bought the preloaded boxes without any knowledge of how they work I imagine are having a lot more trouble.

I have nothing against those who were doing this to make a buck though.

Happy to answer any more questions, and there are several others in this thread that know quite a bit too.

Few disclaimers for others who may read. (this will be long)

Kodi is media playing software. It is open source. It has no content. Many use it to stream their own library. It is 100% legal on its own.

There are "add-ons" available made by other parties that integrate into Kodi. Some are supported by the Kodi developers, some are not.

When people talk about using Kodi, it is in combination with these 3rd party add-ons (like Exodus). What these addons do is scrape the web for whatever you are looking to watch. The add-ons do not host any content either, they are more or less just convenient search engines.

The content is out there on the web in single media files. This is not bittorrent. It is not file sharing. If you went to a search engine, you could probably find these same media files and play them in your browser.

Some are of the opinion that this is illegal - that you are stealing copyrighted content without paying for it. Others are of the opinion that it is more gray. You generally are not downloading the content to keep - you are just streaming (watching) what is already out there for a single use.

There are also 3rd party addons that DO use torrent. It is inadvisable to use these without also using a VPN.

I have not heard of any end users getting in any kind of trouble with the law OR their ISP for just streaming files over http. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I have not read about any. If they go after anyone, it is the providers. People DO get flagged by their ISP for torrenting content.

To your question regarding my preference, it is mainly convenience and quality. For example, as I said a few pages ago, we are currently binging Dexter. I run all of my streaming off my Fire. Very easy to go into Netflix and pick up where I left off with a flawless HD episode of Dexter in Dolby Digital + 5.1.

I could watch it on Kodi instead, but then each episode may be hosted on a different site, and may vary in quality. Most should be HD, but nearly all will be in 2.0 audio. Subtitles are less reliable. Every next episode, it has to re-search the providers. Now, none of this is difficult, it is very easy to do, and takes less than 30 seconds, but in almost every case, if the content is available on Prime or Netflix or Hulu, the quality and speed will be better.

There are people that are making a lot of money buying Fire sticks, or Nvidia Shields, or cheap Chinese android boxes, absolutely loading them to the gills with Kodi and every addon they can find (and sometimes some things that are not so safe), and then selling these bloated boxes for a premium. If you have ANY ability to use a computer, it is not necessary to pay for this. After you buy your hardware of choice, all of this software is free and fairly easy to install. These boxes are typically overloaded and slow, and then when you need a manual update of any sort, you need to learn how to do it anyway or it stops working well.

One of the more popular websites for add-ons recently had some trouble. They are based in Canada, and their site was shut down. Many of the most popular add-ons stopped working. So with a little bit of knowledge and search skills, you can go out and find new addons and new repos to watch your content, but it takes a little work and time.

Those who bought the preloaded boxes without any knowledge of how they work I imagine are having a lot more trouble.

I have nothing against those who were doing this to make a buck though.

Happy to answer any more questions, and there are several others in this thread that know quite a bit too.

Thanks Clown.

The bold is really what gives me the reservations.

Everything is fine when it's just point the remote and click. When the shit goes tits up and I have a wife, 2 screaming adolescents with friends, and I can't figure it out I'm up Shite Creek.

Thanks Clown.

The bold is really what gives me the reservations.

Everything is fine when it's just point the remote and click. When the shit goes tits up and I have a wife, 2 screaming adolescents with friends, and I can't figure it out I'm up Shite Creek.

Yeah I would never rely on Kodi as the only source.

If you have no moral or ethical issues using it, I believe the best is to use several services like Netflix and use Kodi as a supplement. It also sucks balls for live TV. It can be found, but it is even more unreliable with worse quality.

When you do have it set up and working properly though, it IS just point the remote and click.

Season 4 is quite good. Season 5 is a solid-if-unspectacular follow-up.

The rest of the series is essentially the Dexter version of Godfather III. Do. Not. Watch.

The last season was very disappointing. I don't know if they got different writers, or whatever, but WTF?

I'm catching up on American Gods on Starz. Only 3 episodes in, but i't pretty twisted.

Part of me is just waiting for Ian McShane to say "Cocksucker".

They have Game of Thrones episodes on Youtube?

I've seen movie uploads...

IF Kodi and NaviX, etc. are illegal, so is YT.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Yeah I would never rely on Kodi as the only source.

If you have no moral or ethical issues using it, I believe the best is to use several services like Netflix and use Kodi as a supplement. It also sucks balls for live TV. It can be found, but it is even more unreliable with worse quality.

When you do have it set up and working properly though, it IS just point the remote and click.

Yeah, live streams are choppy and not reliable at all...

Mentioned here earlier that I'd just finished Bosch, S1. Finished S2 & S3 and I'm all caught up. Drags a bit here and there, but as a Connelly connoisseur I think it it captures the tone and the mood and Bosch's complex and ambiguous self very well. Enjoyed it much. B+/A-. There will be a S4 coming in the Spring. The final scene, S3, just Bosch staring down his boss, was great. Great anticipation for what's next.

Cheers

I'm a bit of a tv-show junkie, so love this thread. Lots of good shows mentioned. Couldn't see Narcos, so ill give that a shout.

I hope this doesnt make any of you think worse of me, but the show i am binging right now is Syfy's Wynona Earp. I kept seeing the first couple of minutes of episodes at the end of Dark Matter episodes (which was apparently cancelled :mad:) on my DVR and read some reviews. Reviews were mostly sort of positive.... one called it Buffy meets Supernatural. Its produced by the person who did Lost Girl, which was another of my guilty pleasures. So im 2/3 of the way through season 1 and i'd say its pretty good. Its not Game of Thrones, but it moves along quickly and doesnt take itself too seriously.

I hope this doesnt make any of you think worse of me, but the show i am binging right now is Syfy's Wynona Earp. I kept seeing the first couple of minutes of episodes at the end of Dark Matter episodes (which was apparently cancelled :mad:) on my DVR and read some reviews. Reviews were mostly sort of positive.... one called it Buffy meets Supernatural. Its produced by the person who did Lost Girl, which was another of my guilty pleasures. So im 2/3 of the way through season 1 and i'd say its pretty good. Its not Game of Thrones, but it moves along quickly and doesnt take itself too seriously.

I like or want to like science fiction shows. I try to give them all a look.

I tried the Wynona Earp. I didn't get past a handful of episodes. What ever it was, just didn't do it for me.

Dark Matter on the other hand was an OK show. The writers screwed it up. The first season was OK to good. Even some of the 2nd season was OK. The whole inter dimensional travel, 2 of the same characters, had it going down a stupid and silly path. They should have kept it a little more swashbuckling with the characters being a little more rouges rather than the saviors of the universe. The move to make them lily white was absurd.

Back