What's your favorite uncommonly used word?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Verklempt (choked with emotion) is a good one for Planet members that go back to the beginning.

One I like that I really need to try and use more is "pernicious" (having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way.)

Perspicacious is one of my favorites.

It describes "the spontaneous, uncontrolled release of sweat" that sometimes happens when a shy man is introduced to a pretty girl.

Maybe my favorite: Antepenultimate: don't know if I've used it here but I squeeze it in whenever possible

Ultimate = Last
penultimate = next to last
antepenultimate = next to next to last.

Cheers

Perspicacious is one of my favorites.

It describes "the spontaneous, uncontrolled release of sweat" that sometimes happens when a shy man is introduced to a pretty girl.

Is one who insists on perspiring perspinacious? :wink:

Cheers

In written work, I'm quite a fan of "de facto", "nevertheless" and "somewhat".

The only spoken one I can think of is "chuck". I use it as a term of endearment and it's a Northern English word (possibly specific to Manchester and Lancashire, where I'm from originally).

In the North, we pronounce our "u"s in a sound that's Germanic - think Daphne from Frasier (although the actress is actually a Southerner).

I would therefore say "ta, chuck" to Mrs Cat, meaning "thanks, hon".

egregious - outstandingly bad. shocking, appalling, terrible, awful, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous.

Synonyms: Roger Goodell, Donald Trump.

No, really. It's in the dictionary.

:coffee:

The terminology of spoken language has some very nice words:

The word "phonemes" is descriptive of the category, which include these:

vowels
consonants
plosives
sibilants (a.k.a. fricatives)

and my favorite

diphthongs

28145042.jpg