Where's the Riley Cooper F*CKED UP thread?

Once more we go through the hypocritical morality play. The guy has apologized but the critics still want a pound of flesh and hypocrisy.
I'm sure it was a heart felt apology too.

popcorn

The people who toss the N word around the most, are Blacks themselves. If the hypocritical leaders were serious, they would preach to their people to stop it as well.
It is what it is.

:coffee:

DC, you might be able to help with a perspective I lack on this.

Of someone drops an n-bomb on you, is it less offensive if that person is also black?

How about an Asian perspective...ROFL

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EcLdMcbkGPM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think use of epithets stinks and he shouldn't have said it. But I am curious to know what would have happened if he had called a white woman security gurad a c-word or b word? My problem is that some epithets are deemed worse than others when they are all things that don't need to be said. They are imbued with this mythical power by the PC police. It's just words. And much as I loathe Michael Vick, I give him a lot of credit for how he handled this. His brother should be sterilized though.

GalvinMilloy ‏@GalvinMilloy 20m
If the NFL went around fining players for their off the field sins & indiscretions, the whole league would be broke! Lol ..just my opinion.

I think use of epithets stinks and he shouldn't have said it. But I am curious to know what would have happened if he had called a white woman security gurad a c-word or b word? My problem is that some epithets are deemed worse than others when they are all things that don't need to be said. They are imbued with this mythical power by the PC police. It's just words. And much as I loathe Michael Vick, I give him a lot of credit for how he handled this. His brother should be sterilized though.

It's because that word is connected with hundreds of years of oppression and discrimination. No one can say "I'm white and I LOL when someone calls me a cracker" and be making an accurate comparison. Holler back when someone was calling your parents a cracker while turning a fire hose on them for having the moxy to do something crazy like use a drinking fountain.

C-word? Bitch? Again, not even remotely close to the same context as the N word. This isn't a "PC Police" thing.

I guess I see it as a personal experience thing. Is it a horrible word? Yes. Would I use it? No. But it's a WORD... not a hammer, a knife or a gun. And not a single person today who gets called that word was personally oppressed by slavery and few of them were oppressed via living pre civil rights legislation.

I'm still bullshyt over the "No Irish Need Apply" signs....

Now who do I see about that....??

Just not a smart thing to say, especially if you're a public figure (NFL player) like Cooper is. Not smart by any means, whatsoever.

DC, you might be able to help with a perspective I lack on this.

Of someone drops an n-bomb on you, is it less offensive if that person is also black?
Yes, absolutely, context is everything.

FWIW, it's not always offensive when a white personal says it either (however, I wouldn't advise it unless you really know the person well).

Edit: IMO, the media often makes a bigger deal out of most of these incidents than most black people do. The silliness the media made out of the Paula Dean scandal is a good example of that. I don't know any black people who thought what happened to her was right. However, you won't see me cutting this Cooper fool any slack at all, as the context was quite clear, and it was about hate. The only thing I think he's actually sorry about is that the video surfaced.

Yeah the only time I drop n-bombs is in my car if I'm rapping along with biggie lol.

Of course, that's really the only context I've ever really needed to use the word.

Personally, I think people give the word way more power than it deserves. But I also recognize that a 32 year old whit guy who grew up in the suburbs might not have the same perspective others do on the subject.

Yeah the only time I drop n-bombs is in my car if I'm rapping along with biggie lol.

Of course, that's really the only context I've ever really needed to use the word.

Personally, I think people give the word way more power than it deserves. But I also recognize that a 32 year old whit guy who grew up in the suburbs might not have the same perspective others do on the subject.

I will add that it was a much bigger deal to my father's generation than it is to me, and it's even less of an issue to my son's generation. The media doesn't seem to have figured that out yet (or maybe they have, but the ratings are more important to them).

I will add that it was a much bigger deal to my father's generation than it is to me, and it's even less of an issue to my son's generation. The media doesn't seem to have figured that out yet (or maybe they have, but the ratings are more important to them).

I think that's a positive thing, not because I want it to be acceptable to drop n-bombs, but because one word should not have that much power over a group of people.

Also, regarding your edit to the previous post, I agree 100%. He was clearly using the word in a hateful way, which to be us more important than him saying one of the 3 remaining magic words left in America.

It's because that word is connected with hundreds of years of oppression and discrimination. No one can say "I'm white and I LOL when someone calls me a cracker" and be making an accurate comparison. Holler back when someone was calling your parents a cracker while turning a fire hose on them for having the moxy to do something crazy like use a drinking fountain.

C-word? Bitch? Again, not even remotely close to the same context as the N word. This isn't a "PC Police" thing.

Sorry MichDave. I know you often get a pass here because you have a great online personality. Heck, you crack ME up. I look forward to your posts and given you were accepted to and graduated from Michigan I KNOW you are intelligent. That said, the above is BS and reflects more on your A2 influenced experience then reality. I am friends with and work with many black people. As mentioned above, my boss is black (might be the smartest person I know). If anyone is letting the past define anything they do themselves TODAY they are only making excuses. What you allow to happen to you TODAY is 10000 times more important than what happened to a person you never knew 25 or 150 years ago. If someone called my out of wedlock mother a cracker or a whore (the latter happened to her repeatedly) it had ZERO impact on who I DECIDED to become on my own.

Everybody needs to put on their big boy (or girl) pants, take responsibility for themselves and put up or shut up. We all control our destiny enough to
determine our level of success. Calling me a name and me being offended by it to the point that my future is in jeopardy is........stupid.

I am sure that I will get a ton of shit for this post but I am so tired of whining and excuse making.

Sorry MichDave. I know you often get a pass here because you have a great online personality. Heck, you crack ME up. I look forward to your posts and given you were accepted to and graduated from Michigan I KNOW you are intelligent. That said, the above is BS and reflects more on your A2 influenced experience then reality. I am friends with and work with many black people. As mentioned above, my boss is black (might be the smartest person I know). If anyone is letting the past define anything they do themselves TODAY they are only making excuses. What you allow to happen to you TODAY is 10000 times more important than what happened to a person you never knew 25 or 150 years ago. If someone called my out of wedlock mother a cracker or a whore (the latter happened to her repeatedly) it had ZERO impact on who I DECIDED to become on my own.

Everybody needs to put on their big boy (or girl) pants, take responsibility for themselves and put up or shut up. We all control our destiny enough to
determine our level of success. Calling me a name and me being offended by it to the point that my future is in jeopardy is........stupid.

I am sure that I will get a ton of shit for this post but I am so tired of whining and excuse making.

1. I'll forgive you once for lumping me in with the A2 hippies. The second time, we brawl.

2. I'm not saying anything about this situation specifically, aside from why that one word is substantially different than other "bad" words in society. I agree wholeheartedly about overcoming past obstacles--that's not what this is about though. The point I was making is that a white person using that word is mimicking behavior from the not-too-distant past that was used specifically to oppress, harass, and discriminate against blacks. It's different than other words. It doesn't mean the person against whom the language is used has to take it seriously. In fact, if you look at the backlash, most black commentators are all like "meh, whatevs" while it's whites perpetuating the attention.

Nothing has to do with words holding people back, rather how the use of the word by the speaker reflects on them as an individual, which is the issue.

(not here but other places)

I can't believe some comments on other boards where people say "who hasn't used it". I can tell you that I haven't except on occasion like when I had to explain to my son why I thought it was such a bad word and the history behind it. When I was growing up, that word would have been followed by a beating by my parents. It was a shameful part of our history and regardless of who uses it, you only lessen yourself by using it. It's a word that shouldn't be forgotten by any generation because it was used as part of a systematic oppression of human beings to control and enslave them.

(not here but other places)

I can't believe some comments on other boards where people say "who hasn't used it". I can tell you that I haven't except on occasion like when I had to explain to my son why I thought it was such a bad word and the history behind it. When I was growing up, that word would have been followed by a beating by my parents. It was a shameful part of our history and regardless of who uses it, you only lessen yourself by using it. It's a word that shouldn't be forgotten by any generation because it was used as part of a systematic oppression of human beings to control and enslave them.

I agree.

The question for me is: Why is it okay for blacks to use it amongst themselves, create rap music using the word repeatedly, and have it as part of their everyday language?

Indeed, it is offensive because of the historical aspects and denigration of a race. I hear and see on Twitter and FB my teenage stepdaughters' friends (mostly black or mixed race) constantly talking to each other using that word. If it has become or is becoming mainstream language without a racial connotation with a younger generation, then it also must become less offensive when another race says it. Otherwise, the term is now racial in a reverse context.

I hate the word, the sound of the word, the offensive history of the word. I also hate a word referring to women beginning with C, have actually only said it out loud maybe twice in my life, and that, too, is becoming a mainstream word with the younger generation.

Back