Who else hates clickbait and vaguebooking?

Annihilus

Zen Powered by Death Buddhists
Reaction score
So this year I have made it a goal to not complain about things and see the good in people and help others. This post is going to be a pretty big departure from those philosophies.

In today's culture of instant information and 'look at me' behavior, who else is sick of this crap?

1. Clickbait (especially rampant on Facebook, but people do it here, too). Post links with what is supposed to be an enticing description with a bit of mystery that is supposed to elicit a reaction such as "Oh my, that looks so mysterious! I need to click on it immediately!"

On FB, it's usually something like: "See this little animal about to be run over by a tank? OMG YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!11!!. Then you click on the link and the little animal just moves out of the way.

For me, what it screams is: DON'T CLICK ON THIS. RUN FAR AWAY. If you post a thread like this, you're not getting my click unless you tell me what the f*** I'm clicking into. I don't care who you are.

2. Vaguebooking. OMG this is the worst ever. If you've never experienced this, it's when someone is either feeling sorry for themselves, or have something they think is awesome or otherwise controversial, but for some dumbass reason, they don't just come out and say it. They want you to ask them about it.

First of all, if you want us to know about it: then tell us. If you don't, then don't f'ing post it.. Fishing for attention is polluting FB, and it wasn't all that great to begin with.

Example: Friend #5432 posts: OMG Last night. Funniest thing EVAR!

Which brings up another pet peeve. Who the F*** has that many friends? Nobody, that's who. That's like 4 times the number of people I've talked to in my entire lifetime (I'm 47). But anyway, if it was the funniest thing ever, then just tell us what was so g**d*** funny instead of screaming LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! MY LIFE IS SO AWESOME AND MYSTERIOUS!

Yeah, I realize this is nothing new...but it's getting worse. People who know better are failing big time.

Oh, and another thing...and this is addressed to the companies (and I use this term loosely) that post top ten lists of anything from cutest cats to ugliest plastic surgery disasters and fills the screen with ads (a tangentially related F YOU to that practice), but even worse, the top ten list is split up into ten separate pages instead of putting all ten on one page. When I see this, I immediately close out. The only lists like that where I am getting past page one will have to have something to do with Scarlett Johansson or Milla Jovavich.

Blast away.

I REALLY REALLY hate passive aggressiveness so that OMG I AM SOOO SAD...then you have to beg to find out why and get nothing really pisses me off as well.

I hate the share/spam articles "She walked into the room and you won't believe what happened next!"

:shoot:

Oh... And failure to like and share an "Amen" will result in the immediate condemnation of your soul.

Riffing off your last one, Clare, I hate those "I WANT TO SEE WHO ACTUALLY READS MY POSTS OR WHO JUST SCROLLS. COMMENT ON MY STATUS THEN DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THIS, MAKE IT YOUR STATUS SO I CAN LEAVE YOU A NOTE ON YOUR WALL" things.

Write something in the comments and see what happens to this picture. It really works.

:spock:

I REALLY REALLY hate passive aggressiveness so that OMG I AM SOOO SAD...then you have to beg to find out why and get nothing really pisses me off as well.

They want you to feel sorry for them, but don't want you to know why you're feeling sorry for them.

What I feel is homicidal rage. Not literally.

Actually, I want to post that on FB (about the OMG sad but no reason people) and see who agrees. It would be funny if some of the big offenders of that agree. ROFL

Actually, I want to post that on FB (about the OMG sad but no reason people) and see who agrees. It would be funny if some of the big offenders of that agree. ROFL

I think we all have a few common friends who vaguebook on a regular basis :rolleyes:

Facebook is the debbil...click here to see why!!!11!

If I want complete strangers, who I probably will never meet, to know details of my life I will f**king tell them myself.

Facebook is the debbil...click here to see why!!!11!

If I want complete strangers, who I probably will never meet, to know details of my life I will f**king tell them myself.
Go on... :coffee:

I have posted vague status' at times, mostly because it was something I wanted to say and posting something made it better, but I didn't feel like I could go into details at the moment. For example, last year when we had our miscarriage, I posted on facebook to the lines of, "for those who know, thank you for the prayers" to the lines of that. We weren't ready to announce we lost it yet, but after I posted that, if someone messaged me asking (because as vague as it was, people knew what had happened).

I have posted vague status' at times, mostly because it was something I wanted to say and posting something made it better, but I didn't feel like I could go into details at the moment. For example, last year when we had our miscarriage, I posted on facebook to the lines of, "for those who know, thank you for the prayers" to the lines of that. We weren't ready to announce we lost it yet, but after I posted that, if someone messaged me asking (because as vague as it was, people knew what had happened).

Sorry for your loss but that looks like Classic vague. Whether you intended that or not.

Cheers, BostonTim

It was very vague, I was trying to copy the exact quote, but everyone who we told privately asked in a private message and we told them. That weekend sucked but that post helped a little to ease the suck (the post my wife did the next day helped me when we said what happeneD).

Great thread! One of the things I hate is the crazy assholes ranting and threatening people (vaguely), who probably won't get the message because they aren't your friends about some dramatic bullshit usually involving their family.

Also, the "type amen" clowns. Jesus didn't have time to cure some kid with leukemia because he was finding your selfish ass some money and a better job.

Fvck it, I'm on a roll. People that post that stupid "There are 5 Fridays this month. This hasn't happened since 1825 and wont happen again for 300 years." You fvcking morons! The calendar repeats itself regularly.

Fact checking. Seriously, do it before posting some ludicrous shit that makes you look like an idiot.

No, I don't want to play your silly games.

You know what? I'll say happy holidays if I God damn want to.

The super fast videos showing step by step how to do some recipe? Dumb. Show me the final picture. If it looks good, I've been in a kitchen enough times to figure it out.

If you want to post an inspirational thought, don't have a fvcking Minion with it. It loses any shred of credibility.

Babies. Seriously, who wants to see pictures of your cute baby?

N/M on the last one, I guess. :coffee:

Babies. Seriously, who wants to see pictures of your cute baby?

N/M on the last one, I guess. :coffee:

Are we friends on facebook? Might be a good thing if you aren't because I won't be overloading FB with baby pictures of my daughter but it won't be like I will be putting up very little.

why would an adult facebook. teenagers i understand but adults?

Back