Winovich traded to Cleveland

I don't know much about Wilson. Is it a straight up trade?

I figured with how little Wino was used last year he was gone.

I don't know much about Wilson. Is it a straight up trade?

I figured with how little Wino was used last year he was gone.
Just reading from a Brown fan that he was a bit meh for them, a bit of a diva but clearly a talented player. A straight off the line LB.

If that’s true, he seems a typical BB Acquistion. Player who hasn’t reached his potential, bit of motivation issues etc. comes to NE and turns his game around.

What a waste.

I haven't heard boo about Mack Wilson since he came into the NFL and I fully endorse this trade.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
NFL Comparison
C.J. Mosley
Overview
He is today's version of an NFL linebacker with adequate size, plus strength and toughness, speed pursue and an ability to handle coverage duties on any down. Wilson is like a classically trained musician who hits his notes on time, but the question is whether or not he can play as a free-form, improvisational talent when the opportunity arises. Either way, he's a solid, three-down starter in any defensive scheme.
Strengths
  • Typical Alabama linebacker who plays with some edge
  • Good with his hands to punch and play off blocks
  • Able to unlock hips and explode into blockers or deftly slip them
  • Anticipates run-lane choice and quick to respond to bounce-outs
  • Good pursuit burst with easy change of direction
  • Plays through blockers with his eyes
  • Can trigger downhill into leaky zone gaps
  • Able to cover tight ends and running backs
  • Fluid in drop coverage with ball skills like a receiver
  • Can make acrobatic catches with six interceptions over two years
  • Shows some feel as blitzer
  • Plus special teams talent
Weaknesses
  • Might be too mechanical in his approach at times
  • Limited number of instinctive shots into gaps
  • Needs to prove he can play with feel and make plays
  • Had just 7 tackles for loss over last two seasons
  • Still deciphering when to attack block and when to slip it
  • Will side-step block on second level and inadvertently widen run lane
  • Needs to get into climbing blockers earlier to constrict the run lane
  • Had issues getting off of blocks and leveraging gaps against Georgia
Sources Tell Us

"He's big, can run, can cover. He's got the talent, but I thought he was hot or cold this year. He didn't improve on last year to me." -- Director of college scouting for AFC team

As a sophomore he led Bama with 4 ints., 40 tackles, 2.5 for loss, and two pass breakups. He excelled in the national championship game, recording 12 tackles, two for loss, against Georgia. Wilson was voted second-team All-SEC by league coaches in 2018, compiling 71 tackles, five for loss, two interceptions, and five pass breakups during the season.
Some scouts got on him for being to mechanical. BB might actually like that..."Do your job, well".

It's a shame Wino never reached his potential, but this player looks like he fills a pretty big need. If BB is able to get him onboard and playing well it might be one of those shrewd trades BB loves to make.

Mack Wilson. This seems like a classic Bill rehab project.

66640e58-74eb-4d36-993e-5f3d9f9b7274-USATSI_13177364.jpg

q0txpwcudboeocfbfkx1

NEWS

Mack Wilson wanted to quit during trying 2020 season, then found motivation in new son​

• August 6, 2021
Mack Wilson wanted to quit during trying 2020 season, then found motivation in new son – BrownsZone with Scott Petrak
BEREA — Mack Wilson didn’t have an interception, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery or a sack last season in 13 regular-season games, including eight starts. His one tackle for loss matched the number of times he was a healthy scratch.

The linebacker missed the first two games after a knee hyperextended in training camp, never felt healthy and agonized over the missed opportunities to make plays. He revealed Friday he became so frustrated he contemplated retirement.“Yeah, that is how down I was,” Wilson said. “Mentally, we go through a lot as football players. When I got hurt, it was one of my worst moments in my life. Just coming back, I never felt like I was myself.
“I did not feel like I was producing on the field, I could not move like I wanted to. I was missing plays that I knew I should make. I was in a dark place. I was able to climb back because that is what true fighters do.”

Wilson’s life changed in the midst of the darkness. He found out he was going to be a father for the first time. That’s when his mindset changed.
“Finding out that I had a son on the way, it really motivated me to work extremely hard this offseason. That is what I did,” he said. The baby, Mack II, arrived Wednesday. Dad called it “the best day of my life” while proudly posting pictures on social media. He knows he’s responsible for more than himself and determined to succeed. Wilson, a fifth-round pick out of Alabama in 2019, is off to a solid start in training camp, including a highlight-reel interception of Baker Mayfield in the end zone Tuesday. “I felt like my old self,” said Wilson, who totaled 39 tackles and two passes defensed last year. “I told myself before we came back to practice that I’m going back to my college mindset, to where I just felt free and I just felt like every time I went on the field I was the baddest person out there. “Have fun and do whatever it takes to help us win.”

Wilson had started five straight games and seven of eight when the coaches decided to make him a healthy inactive in Week 15 against the Giants. He played the last two games and started the finale. The coaches have noted Wilson is in better shape physically and in a better place mentally. He said he lost 6 or 7 pounds, gained muscle and is maintain around 237. “I just worked hard. Just knowing that I have a son that’s going to be dependent on me, that’s what drove me,” he said. “I was in the gym every day, sometimes twice a day, and just my drive is different. My life changed after I found out. That’s how everything happened.”

The coaches challenged everyone to come back for camp in their best shape so they could worry only about playing. “Mack is more flexible and more bendable,” linebackers coach Jason Tarver said. “He is running really well. He is finishing to the ball well, which is our No. 1 thing for linebackers. He is in much better shape. Proud of the work he has done and excited to see where he is going.” Wilson made a point to connect with middle linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. during the offseason, and they worked out at T3 Performance in Avon. It was another step in his maturation process.
Wilson was forced into duty as a rookie, starting 14 games and collecting 82 tackles, four for loss, an interception, seven passes defensed, a forced fumble and a sack. After the Year 2 disappointment, the Browns beefed up the linebacker room, signing Walker in free agency and drafting Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in the second round and Tony Fields II in the fifth round. Owusu-Koramoah was picked to take Wilson’s spot on the weak side, but Wilson is doing his best to delay that.

“This game is competitive in general and I feel like that’s what the front office acknowledged and it did a great job with putting guys together that’s going to compete and bring the best out of each other,” he said. “And that’s what we’ve been doing so far.”
Conversations with his parents, godfather and girlfriend helped Wilson through the difficult times last year, but he said it would be wrong to classify it as depression. “It was just one of those tough moments, I’m pretty sure every football player gets to that point someday in their career,” he said. “It was just one of those deals where I had to really just think and overcome.”

Coach Kevin Stefanski said he didn’t know Wilson’s frustration had reached that level. “But I think it points out that everybody is dealing with things in the course of the season,” Stefanski said. “We go through adversity as a team, and sometimes you go through personal adversity. Really pleased with where Mack is right now physically and mentally.” Wilson started to come around right when last season was ending. He found out about the pregnancy before the divisional round of the playoffs, then played his best game of the year in the loss to the Chiefs, according to Tarver.
“He really flashed, and that was a taste for him to say I want to do this all the time,” Tarver said. “What’s great about some of the things that happened is, with Mack, with Jacob Phillips, they had never really been hurt before and that’s part of this business. Nobody’s 100 percent.
“You’ve got to learn how to play with that, and I think Mack dealt with a lot of things and so far he’s really made the right choices to put himself in the position to really become a pro and a productive pro.”

This draft is huge.

Winovich over ran or was pushed out of the play often. Part of that was the fact that he couldn't seen to keep control when trying to use his speed. Wilson has a little better speed but looks to be more under control. His size caused him to be really under utilized in Cleveland.

Lazar likes the Wilson signing and thinks it may mean a change from the 3-4 to the 4-3 or even the 5-2.

Lazar likes the Wilson signing and thinks it may mean a change from the 3-4 to the 4-3 or even the 5-2.

I more or less agree with that.

I know Belichick likes to bring back the old hits, but the 5-2 would be partying like it's 1959.

I know Belichick likes to bring back the old hits, but the 5-2 would be partying like it's 1959.
maybe he's thinking that if the 2 lbs are better athletes, the 5 can be the run stoppers/rushers. and give them better versatility in sub defenses that are forced to stay on the field in hurry up.

rock and roll dance GIF by hoppip

maybe he's thinking that if the 2 lbs are better athletes, the 5 can be the run stoppers/rushers. and give them better versatility in sub defenses that are forced to stay on the field in hurry up.

Yes, all 5 aren't DTs/DEs, they're just lined up there. BB has done this occasionally for a few years using more athletic Ss and LBs as flex players in spots. Nothing new.

Last edited:
Back