You Make the Call: HOF

2013 There is no Debate it's Tedy . Tedy was the heart and soul of the pats defense for years. I give the slight edge to Willie Mac in 2014.

You guys have got to be kidding me? Rodney is the only one who has a shot at Canton and should be the hands-down pick for 2013. Rodney is the first player in NFL history to record 30 sacks and 30 INTS - and the only other player to match this performance is Ray Lewis.

Sorry, but Tedy should wait until 2014. Then deal with Willie Mac and Ty Law. Obviously, Troy goes in in 2012.

You guys have got to be kidding me? Rodney is the only one who has a shot at Canton and should be the hands-down pick for 2013. Rodney is the first player in NFL history to record 30 sacks and 30 INTS - and the only other player to match this performance is Ray Lewis.

Sorry, but Tedy should wait until 2014. Then deal with Willie Mac and Ty Law. Obviously, Troy goes in in 2012.

Rodeny was with the Pats for few years. HE made a big name for himself in San diego. Where Tedy played his entire career in NE. This is for the Patriots HOF not the Pro Football HOF.

Ty has a better chance than Rodney...I think the HGH issue might be the deciding factor that keeps him out

Rodeny was with the Pats for few years. HE made a big name for himself in San diego. Where Tedy played his entire career in NE. This is for the Patriots HOF not the Pro Football HOF.

And that is the sole reason that gives me pause. But I still say Rodney - his impact here was profound, I think it was he that reinvigorated the defense and he single-handedly sealed the SB against the Eagles.

Rodney will make Canton, Tedy will not. He was a better player, simple as that.

After fans stop being pissed at him for leaving for Indy.

If he gets into the Pats HOF, Bob Kraft can kiss my pink Irish ass. So help me God I will go there just to BOO my fuggin head off. He's a fuggin traitor. He's the anti-christ. He's got no goddamn remorse either. Fuggggg him.

If he gets into the Pats HOF, Bob Kraft can kiss my pink Irish ass. So help me God I will go there just to BOO my fuggin head off. He's a fuggin traitor. He's the anti-christ. He's got no goddamn remorse either. Fuggggg him.

I still think one day he will. IT will not be for a long time. You can hate him all you want. Facts speak for themselves with out his great kick in the 2001 divisional playoff game . The pats would not even made it to the SB. HE also has 2 SB winning FG to his credit. That is Just My 2 cents.

Right, but the big issue with Rodney is that he spent 9 years in SD and 6 years in Foxboro. I don't disagree regarding the NFL HOF, but the Pats HOF would probably be more inclusive of just the years in NE. I think hands down that if Rodney had been with the Pats from 94-08 and did what he did over his career, it's a no-brainer. But, the thing that probably gives Bruschi the nod is the intangibles and "Patriot Way" that he brought to the table as a leader and lifetime Patriot.

I don't think the defense needed any invigorating at the point that Rodney came here. They were outstanding without him and outstanding with him. The point being not that we're talking about Canton but about the Patriots HOF.

Tedy Bruschi goes in first ballot. He's a fan favorite. He's the consummate Patriot. He was an outstanding player for this team. Rodney will get in, but Tedy goes first.

Can't agree with you More Lisa. Him and Troy Brown were what Patriots and footballs players should be.

Rodney will get in but not on the first shot. Don't forget, someone like Lawyer Malloy will need to be considered at some point as well. He deserves consideration. You're also going to start getting a backlog like "does Parcells get it over Rodney or does Rus Francis wiggle in there? Even though there are a lot of Super Bowl era players who deserve consideration, there are a bunch of past players who deserve consideration that haven't even come up yet.

I don't think the defense needed any invigorating at the point that Rodney came here. They were outstanding without him and outstanding with him. The point being not that we're talking about Canton but about the Patriots HOF.

Tedy Bruschi goes in first ballot. He's a fan favorite. He's the consummate Patriot. He was an outstanding player for this team. Rodney will get in, but Tedy goes first.

This might be the first time I've ever seen anyone call the 2002 defense "outstanding". They were quite pitiful, and badly in need of assistance. People like to point at the the arrival of Big Ted Washington as the catalyst for the 2003 resurgence, but the defense did just fine in the games he missed. In retrospect, it is quite clear that overhauling the secondary was BB's primary objective and Rodney was the key part of it.

I don't disagree that Tedy will probably get in first, but let's not undersell Hot Rod here.

Adam is very much a part of the NE SB lore, and should be a Patriot HOFer...but Canton...no.

This might be the first time I've ever seen anyone call the 2002 defense "outstanding". They were quite pitiful, and badly in need of assistance. People like to point at the the arrival of Big Ted Washington as the catalyst for the 2003 resurgence, but the defense did just fine in the games he missed. In retrospect, it is quite clear that overhauling the secondary was BB's primary objective and Rodney was the key part of it.

I don't disagree that Tedy will probably get in first, but let's not undersell Hot Rod here.

The 2002 Pats D was pretty awful for sure. The Pats went 9-7 that year and played as if they were going through the motions.

Some quick facts, to refresh memories around here.

In 2002 the run D was 2nd worst in the league. Only Seattle gave up more yards on the ground. Overall, the Pats had the 17th ranked defense. For frame of reference, Tampa Bay had the league's best D that year, the Dolphins were 4th best and, get this! the Colts had the 7th best defense that year.

[By contrast, the 2010 Pats D ranked 8th going by points scored, although I know that's hard to believe. But of the top 20 defenses last year only 1, the Titans who were ranked 15th, gave up more yards than the Pats. 5834/5883. Going by yards given up the Pats ranked 25th last year (23rd in 2002) which leaves lots of room for improvement in 2011. Being +28 in the turnover department helped our D immensely last year in the points scored category. I don't expect that again this year.]

For 2002:
Record: 9-7-0, Finished 1st in AFC East Division
NFL Season Summary
Scored 381 points (23.8/g), 10th of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 346 points (21.6/g), 17th.
Differential of 35 points (2.2/g), 14th.
Expected W-L: 8.9-7.1.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +5 (0.3/g), 10th.
Simple Rating System: Total 4.0, Offense: 2.1, Defense: 1.9, SoS: 1.8, versus averages of 0.0.
Coached by Bill Belichick (9-7-0)

For 2010:

Record: 14-2-0, Finished 1st in AFC East Division
NFL Season Summary
Scored 518 points (32.4/g), 1st of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 313 points (19.6/g), 8th.
Differential of 205 points (12.8/g), 1st.
Expected W-L: 12.3-3.7.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +28 (1.8/g), 1st.
Simple Rating System: Total 15.4, Offense: 12.6, Defense: 2.8, SoS: 2.6, versus averages of 0.0.
Coached by Bill Belichick (14-2-0)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/opp.htm

Exactly - who was the guy that BB went to immediately after the SB win and said "Boy, am I glad we got you." It was Rodney - he was the catalyst for the resurgent defense.

And I'll tell you something else too (And don't take this as a knock on Tedy, because that's not the point) - some of you know I was lucky enough to interact with several players at events I helped coordiate (Rodney among them, and I love the guy, so maybe I'm biased a bit too) - but anyway, I was privvy to somethings that the guys would never say in front of a camera and (the Maroney thing w/ the diapers - 100% true, I digress again) anyway, one thing that several guys told me - Rodney was the locker room leader of the defense, not Tedy. It was even said that there was a degree of resentment toward Tedy because he positioned himself as "the guy" in the media, but Rodney was much more well-respected by the players. It was kind of seen that Tedy was the guy for the fans, Rodney was the guy among the players.

FYI, again, not a knock on Tedy, but I think Rodney's overall contributions were more impactful.

Back