A Tragedy for the Thorntons

SOo sad this is just unreal. Much prayers for peace in dealing with this horrible event go out to you guys and your families.:(((

This article goes into a bit more detail. So senseless:

Grandson of North Attleboro family beaten to death in Arkansas

BY AMY DeMELIA SUN CHRONICLE STAFF

Friday, July 29, 2011 11:33 AM EDT

NORTH ATTLEBORO - A local family is reeling after learning their grandson was randomly targeted and beaten to death while on a vacation trip to Arkansas.

Kevin Thornton, 19, of Alaska, the grandson of Charles and Doris Legg of North Attleboro, died Wednesday in an Arkansas Hospital following the July 20 brutal attack by four teenagers.

"It is so senseless- it was unprovoked - he was just walking down the street," Doris Legg said.

According to the Malvern Daily Record in Arkansas, four juveniles - a 17-year-old, two 16-year-olds and a 14-year-old whose names were not released - drove by Thornton and another man walking near Glen Rose Baptist Church in Malvern around 7:30 p.m.

The four youths, who allegedly were drinking, turned their truck around, hopped out of the vehicle and attacked Thornton and his friend. Thornton's friend was able to escape, but Thornton was attacked by two of the teenagers. He was punched in the face, and his head hit a rock when he fell, knocking him unconscious. Three of the youths allegedly continued to beat and kick Thornton before dragging him into a ditch, then leaving.

A passerby noticed Thornton lying in the ditch, carried him to the nearby church and called paramedics, who found him speaking incoherently, unresponsive and with injuries to his face, back and side.

Thornton was flown to a hospital in Little Rock and placed in a medically induced coma until Wednesday, when he died from his injuries.

The four suspects were caught by police after reports from witnesses who saw them drive by the church earlier in the night. The church pastor knew them all by name.

Two of the juveniles also allegedly bragged about the beating to friends.

The four were arrested and initially charged with first degree battery, but the charges were upgraded to second-degree murder following Thornton's death. The Legg family is now mourning the senseless loss of a young man who showed so much promise.

"He was a good kid, who was just trying to find himself," Doris Legg said of her grandson. "He loved to fish and he just loved Alaska, where he was born in raised."

While Thornton grew up in Alaska, his mother Darlene grew up in a North Attleboro, Legg said.

Thornton had just finished his freshman year at the University of Alaska and had traveled to Arkansas to visit friends.

The Leggs are making funeral arrangements and said services will be held at St. Mark's Church in North Attleboro at a time and date to be determined.

So unnecessary.
And so sad.

My thoughts are with the entire Thornton family.

All my thoughts and prayers are with the Thornton family. A parent should never bury his child. This is totally pointless and I hope that the punks who did this get justice and that the Lord had a purpose in this seemingly pointless death.

This article goes into a bit more detail. So senseless:

I've been struggling to come to grips with this. Bill and Darlene moved to Alaska right after they got married. I've only seen Kevin about 3 times. He always impressed me as a nice, polite kid. I wish I could have gotten to know him better.

Darlene grew up in North Attleboro, and was a childhood friend of my wife. My cousin Bill grew up in the house directly across the street from me in South Weymouth.

When I was dating my wife, we introduced Bill and Darlene to each other. So I feel like I had a small but critical role in the existence of this wonderful family.

I have been overwhelmed with sadness for Bill, Darlene and their daughter Katie. With most forms of pain, at least you know that it will end and you will eventually fell better. But I can't imagine either of them ever waking up and getting through a day without feeling this pain in their hearts.

I'm also sad to be reminded how cruel and evil some of my (so called) fellow humans can be. The ones that did this were 17, 16, and 14(!!!) years old. How is this even possible?!?!

If there is anything positive to take from this tragedy, it would be the reminder that the vast majority of my fellow humans are Good People. At times like this, we come together share our grief, and support each other.

What a horrible story. Condolences to everyone involved.

I hope one day the Thorton clan can wake from this nightmare :(

:( Jack, Phil and Jerry are some of my favorite people. What a horrible, senseless tragedy. I hope they all manage to find some peace someday.

I've been struggling to come to grips with this. Bill and Darlene moved to Alaska right after they got married. I've only seen Kevin about 3 times. He always impressed me as a nice, polite kid. I wish I could have gotten to know him better.

Darlene grew up in North Attleboro, and was a childhood friend of my wife. My cousin Bill grew up in the house directly across the street from me in South Weymouth.

When I was dating my wife, we introduced Bill and Darlene to each other. So I feel like I had a small but critical role in the existence of this wonderful family.

I have been overwhelmed with sadness for Bill, Darlene and their daughter Katie. With most forms of pain, at least you know that it will end and you will eventually fell better. But I can't imagine either of them ever waking up and getting through a day without feeling this pain in their hearts.

I'm also sad to be reminded how cruel and evil some of my (so called) fellow humans can be. The ones that did this were 17, 16, and 14(!!!) years old. How is this even possible?!?!

If there is anything positive to take from this tragedy, it would be the reminder that the vast majority of my fellow humans are Good People. At times like this, we come together share our grief, and support each other.

There really is no way to come to grips with this. The senselessness just defies any kind of logic.

My brother-in-law's 21 year old daughter was killed by drunk driver on 495 a couple of years ago. It was devastating to my wife even though we really didn't know her too well. But when it's your blood that's suffering, you suffer with them.

The only thing I can say is that perhaps something good will somehow come out of this to help your family. My brother-in-law and his wife started a scholarship fund at the local high school for students going on to study art (Mya was an art student at UMass-Dartmouth). They maintain the fund and hold a yearly art contest to determine the scholarship recipient. It helps them keep her alive while helping others. Also, my wife and brother used to go months without talking to each other primarily due to busy schedules. Now she calls him once a week and they talk for awhile. That's been very positive for her.

Will they ever feel better? No they won't. But they'll likely find a positive way to get through each day just as my brother-in-law does.

Again, my deepest sympathies for you and the family.

My wife and I just got back from Mass and lit a candle in Kevin's memory and the family's comfort. All continue in our prayers.

My thoughts and prayers to the Thornton family. I don't really know what else to say. Ugh

wow. My condolences. I am so sorry your loss.

Oof. That's awful. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Posted via Mobile Device

What a senseless tragedy. Something like this is what makes you search your soul for answers, only to find nothing.

My sympathy to all of the Thorntons.

And may justice be served on those who did this.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's so awful that some punks have to resort to such outrageous violence to feel good about their pathetic lives. I hope these wastes of sperm are put down like mad dogs.

Back