Agents vs Browns

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/sources-agents-steering-players-away-from-browns/

Sources: Agents steering players away from Browns
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2009 7:28 PM ET

Though the Cleveland Browns were able to lure to town today a couple of players with connections to coach Eric Mangini (safety Ray Ventrone and guard Billy Yates), multiple sources have told us that some agents plan to steer their clients away from the Browns.

Right or wrong, there's a sense of discontent regarding the new regime in Cleveland, where coach Eric Mangini and G.M. George Kokinis are running the show, with Mangini serving essentially as the man in charge.

A variety of issues have contributed to the situation, and we're in the process of tracking down specific details regarding some of the potential problem areas.

In the offseason, feathers were ruffled when Mangini took first-year players on a ten-hour bus ride to Hartford, Connecticut to work a youth football camp. Also, the lingering contractual impasse regarding receiver Josh Cribbs could be creating trust issues, given Cribbs' strong belief that owner Randy Lerner promised to re-work Cribbs' below-market deal, and the fact that Mangini/Kokinis have denied the allegation.

The Cribbs conundrum reminds many of the disputes that arose when Mangini coached the Jets, including guard Pete Kendall, receiver Laveranues Coles, and tight end Chris Baker. All claimed that promises had been made regarding their contracts, and that the promises had been broken.

As one source explained it, the Browns likely will be required to overpay free agents in the offseason. If the money that Cleveland is offering matches the money on the table from another team, the thinking is that the players will be far more inclined to sign with the team not named the Browns.

UPDATE: In response to this item, an agent who was not one of the sources for the original item contacted us, agreed with it wholeheartedly, and said, "I would put one of my players on another team's practice squad before putting him on the Browns."

ROFL

Tne bottom line to all of this is that Randy Lerner is by far the worst owner in the NFL. Al Davis has nothing on him. Lerner either needs to sell the team or die. I don't care which one.

Tne bottom line to all of this is that Randy Lerner is by far the worst owner in the NFL. Al Davis has nothing on him. Lerner either needs to sell the team or die. I don't care which one.

You forgot one option. He can stay alive and keep the team, and then there's just another suck-ass shitty team in the AFC that we don't have to worry about.

:D

<<
Randy Lerner is by far the worst owner in the NFL.
>>

I don't know, the Fords are at least as bad as Lerner.

UPDATE: In response to this item, an agent who was not one of the sources for the original item contacted us, agreed with it wholeheartedly, and said, "I would put one of my players on another team's practice squad before putting him on the Browns."

This is better than a bowl of hot soup on a cold, rainy day.

That Eric Mangini got a second job after the crap job he did for the NYJ and after having ratted on the guy who gave him his start in football is nothing less than astoudning.

Then again, Grady Little got hired by the Dodgers after gift wrapping the 2003 ALCS for the MFYs, so nothing like this should really ever be surprising.

That Eric Mangini got a second job after the crap job he did for the NYJ and after having ratted on the guy who gave him his start in football is nothing less than astoudning.

Then again, Grady Little got hired by the Dodgers after gift wrapping the 2003 ALCS for the MFYs, so nothing like this should really ever be surprising.

Norv Turner keeps getting hired so Mangini's prolly good for another go round somewhere after he screws the pooch in Cleveland.

I love this - you see this all the time with business proteges. The one is outstanding, and tough but fair - everyone knows where they stand. The follower learned at his knee, views *himself* the same way, but in reality is not "tough but fair", but sleazy and ethically challenged. Everyone around him understands this.

yeah but that was done to entice McCourt so he thought he was buying the RedSox west

and Mangina should never be in charge of Pop Warner d team much less a NFL team

That Eric Mangini got a second job after the [/B]crap job he did for the NYJ and after having ratted on the guy who gave him his start in football is nothing less than astoudning.

Apparently you're not familiar with Randy Lerner. That's a good thing.

Now after Mangini fails with the Clowns he won't get a sniff at another HC gig in the NFL.

Where's the game going to be played?

What's the spread?

Who's starting at QB for the agents?

I can't pick a game like this until I know some more details.

Apparently you're not familiar with Randy Lerner. That's a good thing.
Typical child of a self-made man who earned everything he got while the kids had silver spoons in their mouths and were given everything. The kids have no common sense AT ALL. I know this for a fact because I worked for one of the father's companies. The Browns are just another little fun toy his daddy gave him to play with that he will break eventually and move on to another shiny new toy. I mean the guy is the only owner of an NFL team I know of who doesn't live in the city of the team or near it, but lives in another state altogether.

Back