Anyone else worried that this is the end?

CleatMarks

Reaction score
I'm getting this nagging feeling that this was the end of the current dynasty. A game like this tends to take a lot out of players and I'm not sure if they recover from a loss like this for a while. We have key players on the downside and will probably retire and things like this can tend to tear a team apart.

I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the playoffs next year.

Yeah, a little. The team that loses the Super Bowl usually takes a downturn the next year. It's a trend that has a lot of historical evidence. Hopefully the Pats can somehow start over and put this behind them, but it will be tough.

Nah,
I think this was a learning experience. They looked too mellow and worried about losing the big game. Now that they have this out of the way, I think they will be better off because of it. I hope the team doesn't imploded with people pointing fingers. They should be proud and hungry to get back. Hell, Merriweather said to Harrison "Don't worry man we will get back here"

Nope.

Even today, I don't feel that way.

We aren't suddenly "done" because Eli pulled one out of his ass.

We actually have stuff to fix. I like looking at it that way.

Also as Bostonite, I feel like the misery of being a boston sports fan is almost refreshing.

I am assuming that Teddy & Troy are done, you guys have your entire core group returning essentially. Even if you lose Moss & Stallworth, Welker has shown me alot yesterday. Hell you won titles with less before. I am sure you will sign Haggins and draft appropriately. I doubt you guys will really miss a beat imo...

I am pretty positive BB and his staff will be at their office fixing the problems soon.

Also, I remember hearing, I think it was Jimmy Johnson, saying that a Florida college football team went undefeated and lost the nat'l championship, and the next year they again went undefeated and WON the nat'l championship. Does that sound right?

It hadn't occured to me...now that it has, WTF?. I just expect BB to reload with a whole new series of surprising finds and come back with both barrels blazing.

CleatMarks on 02-04-2008 at 10:21 AM said:
I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the playoffs next year.
So...which AFC East team do you expect to win the division next year, and which two teams do you expect to beat you in the WC race?

I don't think you have to worry about not being in the 2008 playoffs.

It's not the end, but they definitely need to re-tool.

GONE (or probably gone, or maybe should be gone, or might be gone for $$ reasons, or might be gone 'cause they want more playing time): Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau, Troy Brown, Asante Samuel, Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Kyle Brady, Rosevelt Colvin, Eugene Wilson, Randall Gay, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington.

DEPTH/YOUTH NEEDED: ILB, OLB, DB, OL, RB, WR (if Moss/Stallworth go).

QUESTIONMARKS: Ellis Hobbs, Brandon Meriweather, Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson.

That's a lot of stuff to work on.

Bright side: Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets all suck. So winning the division is still possible.

So long as BB and Pioli are in place, the system is in place. Players come and go, the team's success will ahve upturns and downturns, but they will be consistently good so long as BB and Pioli are around.

No worries.

They will win the division again next year, go to the playoffs again, and take another shot at winning the Super Bowl.

I think this is just another reminder to Brady and Co that winning the Lombardi is not easy, and never take it for granted, and you can lose any game at any time, if you allow yourself to be outplayed.

Full speed ahgead, and damn the torpedoes..let's retool and get ready to take our pain out on the NFL again next year!

JD I disagree about all those players listed under gone
Brown and WIlson are retired and released

Stallworth and Washington are gone if the deals are not reworked - look for Washingtons to get done - value because he can play both WR and SP

Bruschi, Harrison, Seau 2 of the 3 will return, not sure which 2 but if the Pats won it was posible all 3 retire, I think one will within the next month - my guess is Bruschi retires

Gay, COlvin and Gaffney are all based on what it will cost, I see Gaffney and Gay staying but Colvin refusing to rework his deal

which leaves Assante and Moss and the cost allows only one to return - Moss sounded like a man ready to return last night, Assante has not in some time

So Washington, Gaffney, Gay and Moss stay by my impression in addition to 2 of the other 3 staying (Bruschi, Harrison, Seau)

Well if the commish finds anything about spygate that the Pats didn't divulge, I would expect BB to be suspended for a bit.

I'm not sure actually!
I never expeted a lose by any account so I never even thought about it. But we may have a year or two of regression. Also, what if this spygate crap comes to the surface and we find out BB did in fact tape the Rams walk through. Then BB gets suspended or maybe even fired by the Pats. Now that woudl be the end of a great thing!

The Pats not winning this game could really have a damaging affect, but I do think it is strange to even think it considering we went 18-1.

Brady is still Brady and I have to believe he was more injured that we thought. How do you go from an MVP regular season, 68.7% comp accuracy, 50 TD's and an almost perfect QB rating in the first playoff game to stinking in back to back games with horrible accuracy? He had to be hurting more than let on, but we will never know.

We have a great coach (for now) and a great QB. I still have faith we will be OK!

I'm not really worried. I'd say I'm more coming to terms with the idea that the run is over, and if this great team couldn't win it all, then pretty much no team can.

There was a blueprint; Brady is on the back nine (still pretty good); and Pioli and Belichick are quite the duo. But all good things must come to an end. Is this the end? I really don't know.

Tell you one thing though....when (if) I attend every game next year again, I think I'll be more like the masses....I'm not going to scream whenever the other team has the ball. Let somebody else do the noisemaking! Heck, there were about 67,600 people who don't make noise anyway....I'll just join'em.

But you know, the Giants win the Pennant the Giants win the Pennant!!!

And 18-0 was nerveracking. Anyway, maybe it's time to really groom another qb. Or get another coach....no that would be going to far, now wouldn't it?

He, the Packers had their great times. As did the Dolphins, Steelers, Fourty-Niners, Cowboys, and the Patriots. Not being critical of the Patriots, just a tad realistic.

Although, they did come pretty close to winning that SB yesterday, didn't they? Although I didn't have a great feeling throughout that game.

What will be will be. The future's not ours to see, que sara sara.

Or something like that. Anyway, the draft, the offseason, the training camp, the preseason, the first 14 games or so.....whatever, wake me up in late December, and so I can see how things are progressing.

Back