Anyone intimately familiar with Arizona and/or SW U.S.?

Annihilus

Zen Powered by Death Buddhists
Reaction score
No...not that kind of intimate, pervs. And not Arizona the stripper, either. We're talking about the State here.

Annihilus gets to start working from home this coming fall and is packing up his sh!t and moving to the Southwest U.S. with the little woman for some good warm livin'. We've always wanted to live down there, but now that it is becoming a reality, we need some help with picking a fine location. We've kind of narrowed it down to Arizona, but aren't married to the choice. Nevada, New Mexico are options.

Obviously, employment won't be a problem for Annihilus, though Ms. Anni will need to find a job. She does secretary/facility type stuff.

Anyone familiar with the area down there and have any thoughts/recommendations? Prescott looks cool (we're not really looking for 'big city' living), it's at a high enough elevation that it's not unbearably hot in the summers and the winters are very mild. Tucson was awesome about 20 years ago, but it's been a while since Annihilus was there.

Anyhow....if anyone has any ideas, just holler. If you feel the need to derail this thread with sex talk, please limit it to goth chicks and leather and save the really perverted talk for Claremonster's threads. ;)

BTW, It's skyeclad when you're nekkid. With an 'e'.

My folks lived in Prescott. I have the impression that it's more of a retirement community. I'm not really sure though.

My folks lived in Prescott. I have the impression that it's more of a retirement community. I'm not really sure though.

That's fine, we're not really big on socializing anyway, we're going more for the weather. The median age in Prescott is 48, so it's not like everyone's driving a rascal or hoverround.

Great scenery there, for sure.

Must be nice to just pick up and move to a warm climate. :thwak:

I'm sure PAZ can give you some pointers.

Must be nice to just pick up and move to a warm climate. :thwak:

I'm sure PAZ can give you some pointers.

Yes, it is nice....but Annihilus has actually been working on 'picking up and moving' for about 6 years. All the planets aligned and a couple of miracles happened (along with a goat sacrifice and a couple dozen voodoo dolls) and it's finally happening.

Can't wait!

I have flushed all my knowledge of that state -- gained on the weekend of the Freaking Abomination -- down the terlit. Sorry. Can't help you.

Lucky bastage. :sulk:

I'm not sure a Montana/Minn boy like yourself is suited for the really, fricken hot weather out in the SW. I mean, hell.... You know how hot you'll get in all that black leather goth crap. :p

As for advice.... Have you checked into Flagstaff, Mesa, or Scottsdale?

The couple times I've been to Scottsdale it's seemed pretty decent. :shrug:

I've been to Phoenix plenty of times to work at the Palo Verde Nuke plant west of the city.

They call it the Valley of the Sun for a reason. Not my cup of tea.

I've been to a bunch of the major cities in the southwest, and my favorite was Albuquerque.

Not at all what I expected when I first went there. The altitude (it's a mile high) and the presence of the Rio Grande make a huge difference. Cottonwood trees grow all over the place and not because someone planted them and irrigates them.

The presence of Sandia Labs, Kirtland AFB, and the University of New Mexico add an interesting cross section of people (which leads to an interesting cross section of cultural things to enjoy) and should provide opportunities for the Mrs to get a job, if not for them, at one of the other businesses in the area that support those facilities.

I've been to Phoenix plenty of times to work at the Palo Verde Nuke plant west of the city.

They call it the Valley of the Sun for a reason. Not my cup of tea.

I've been to a bunch of the major cities in the southwest, and my favorite was Albuquerque.

Not at all what I expected when I first went there. The altitude (it's a mile high) and the presence of the Rio Grande make a huge difference. Cottonwood trees grow all over the place and not because someone planted them and irrigates them.

The presence of Sandia Labs, Kirtland AFB, and the University of New Mexico add an interesting cross section of people (which leads to an interesting cross section of cultural things to enjoy) and should provide opportunities for the Mrs to get a job, if not for them, at one of the other businesses in the area that support those facilities.

Yeah, Phoenix is a little too warm for Annihilus's tastes too. Too crowded as well.

Albuquerque is intriguing....will have to look into that.

Prescott is a mile high too, so probably very similar weather to Albuquerque (and easier to spell). It apparently has one of the largest stands of pine tree forests in the nation too.

Yeah, Phoenix is a little too warm for Annihilus's tastes too. Too crowded as well.

Albuquerque is intriguing....will have to look into that.

Prescott is a mile high too, so probably very similar weather to Albuquerque (and easier to spell). It apparently has one of the largest stands of pine tree forests in the nation too.
you must move to Albuquerque --- you simply MUST

then you can be Annihilus from Albuquerque

and your membername can get abbreviated to AA -- like all the cool kids here do

right now it would just be A --- who the hell wants to be known as Annihilus from Minneapolis? -- AM :shake:

I moved to Tucson almost 21 years ago and LOVE living here for many reasons. There is enough going on so you get to see a good concert now and then but the traffic is still mild and cost of living is very bearable. The nights are fantastic in the summer so even though the daytime heat can be bad you get a reprieve at night which no longer happens in Phoenix due to the concrete, lawns and all of the artificial lakes. If you like to do anything outdoorsy Tucson is the place where you can make a living and still hike/bike hunt etc. Phoenix is an easy ride away for sporting events and other "cultural" stuff.

Since you will be telecommuting you have so many options on houses and right now is a MAJOR buyers market here.

Prescott is COLD and snowy in the winter though not as bad as some areas of the county. NOt familiar at all with other aspects of it.

Feel free to mail me, call me whatever help you need I am more than happy to help!! I LOVE living here and hope I never have to leave..this from a girl who grew up in the woods of Massachusetts.

Yeah, and the Northeast is begining to hurt for 'no winter'.

You gotta pick yer poision. ;)

Actually there are/have been acute water shortages in may places around the country from Seattle to Atlanta. Just because this is desert surprisingly doesn't make us that different from alot of other areas..

you must move to Albuquerque --- you simply MUST

then you can be Annihilus from Albuquerque

and your membername can get abbreviated to AA -- like all the cool kids here do

right now it would just be A --- who the hell wants to be known as Annihilus from Minneapolis? -- AM :shake:

Yeah well, it's better than being known as ATM (definition courtesy of SOKB) LOL

I moved to Tucson almost 21 years ago and LOVE living here for many reasons. There is enough going on so you get to see a good concert now and then but the traffic is still mild and cost of living is very bearable. The nights are fantastic in the summer so even though the daytime heat can be bad you get a reprieve at night which no longer happens in Phoenix due to the concrete, lawns and all of the artificial lakes. If you like to do anything outdoorsy Tucson is the place where you can make a living and still hike/bike hunt etc. Phoenix is an easy ride away for sporting events and other "cultural" stuff.

Since you will be telecommuting you have so many options on houses and right now is a MAJOR buyers market here.

Prescott is COLD and snowy in the winter though not as bad as some areas of the county. NOt familiar at all with other aspects of it.

Feel free to mail me, call me whatever help you need I am more than happy to help!! I LOVE living here and hope I never have to leave..this from a girl who grew up in the woods of Massachusetts.

Thanks.....Annihilus may just take you up on that as the time gets closer.

Tucson was actually first on the initial list of places to check out closely, but we're going to look at a bunch of options and see what suits both of us best.

Thanks.....Annihilus may just take you up on that as the time gets closer.

Tucson was actually first on the initial list of places to check out closely, but we're going to look at a bunch of options and see what suits both of us best.

Well best of luck with it!:)

Back