Are the Pats the New Raiders?

I think it's great that people hate us cos that's the mother ****ing truth but they can all piss where perfect beautiful inside

For my part, this actually bothers me. I much preferred to have a team that was winning and was a model of how to build and run a team. Most of this stuff has been poorly reported, but in any case the reputation of the team has been damaged, and will be (rightly or wrongly) viewed as damaged historically. I resent the hell out of the press for that, but as stupid as the spygate "scandal" was, it colors the way the team is viewed by most NFL fans and the team made it's own bed there. And frankly I think the dancing and spiking on opposing logos is indefensible (though in Colvin's case I'm not sure he was spiking the logo or just spiking where he happened to be) and yes, classless. Oh, and drafting the headstomper (though I expect good things from him in coming years) didn't help matters either.

I had a much better time cheering for the team during the '01 - '05 stretch.

I figure if people are calling the Redsox the New Yankees, they may as well call the Patriots the new Raiders.

I hope they call the Celtics the new old Celtics too!!! You know, becasue of all those pesky championships ;)

Flagg Wanderer on 11-09-2007 at 07:01 AM said:
Most of this stuff has been poorly reported, but in any case the reputation of the team has been damaged, and will be (rightly or wrongly) viewed as damaged historically. . .

I had a much better time cheering for the team during the '01 -'05 stretch.

I'm not sure you're right about that "damaged historically" thing. People have VERY short memories and winning is a terrific deoderant, as somebody said. All this "spygate" "running up scorde" flap is temporary and is a big deal THIS season. Unless there is some further revelation about long-term, significant cheating (not the 1st qtr of the 1st game of the season - phooey), there can be no question of placing any asterisk. These guys are just griping and bitching now with their own personal agendas. Right now, Pats are villians. Ten or even five years from now, what will be remembered is their victories, their perfect season (knock on wood) and their championships going forward. All this "dirty Patsies" thing is not long term - only seems that way right now. JMO.

And by the way, if you have only been around since "the cheering seasons" began, I'm not surpised you feel disappointed by the current turmoil. This ain't so much. Would you rather go 1-15 as some of us have endured? ;)

oldbagfan on 11-09-2007 at 09:01 AM said:
I'm not sure you're right about that "damaged historically" thing. People have VERY short memories and winning is a terrific deoderant, as somebody said. All this "spygate" "running up scorde" flap is temporary and is a big deal THIS season. Unless there is some further revelation about long-term, significant cheating (not the 1st qtr of the 1st game of the season - phooey), there can be no question of placing any asterisk. These guys are just griping and bitching now with their own personal agendas. Right now, Pats are villians. Ten or even five years from now, what will be remembered is their victories, their perfect season (knock on wood) and their championships going forward. All this "dirty Patsies" thing is not long term - only seems that way right now. JMO.

And by the way, if you have only been around since "the cheering seasons" began, I'm not surpised you feel disappointed by the current turmoil. This ain't so much. Would you rather go 1-15 as some of us have endured? ;)

OBF, meet Flagg -- a long-time vet with plenty of skins on the wall who hasn't been active on the Planet lately, but is as knowledgable as they come.

Flagg-- meet OBF, a relative newbie here, but another longtime fan helping educate her poor husband-- a Raiders fan.

Now, that we've met.......

oldbagfan on 11-09-2007 at 09:01 AM said:

OBF, being one of those people that endured the horrendous teams of the past, that's why this pisses me off even more. It just seems as though people were happier when we were the scum (in the losing all the time sense) of the league. Now they just think we're the scum of the league because of the powerhouse that we are. The media takes every bit of trivia and blows it into such gigantic proportions, and the sheep follow their herders into the pen.

The fact that in the nine games we have played we have not only won but dominated in eight of them is meaningless to the masses. They can't see that the video cameras never gave us our wins. The fact that BB virtually doesn't speak to the media makes him sneaky, underhanded, and a cheat in their eyes, not a genius.

It just makes me pissed off and I'm sick to death of it. Diehard Sox fans like me made jokes about how it's all going downhill after the All-Star break for years to deal with never winning the big one, but now that we've won two titles, we're the scourge of the baseball world. Same thing with the Pats. I just think we need to be appreciated and admired, not looked upon as evil scum.

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I think the thing that ticks me off the most is that I believe that both the Broncos and the 49ers who were both guilty of fibbing on the salary cap didn't face nearly the same amount of moral judgment that this team seems to face. Maybe it's because of the "model franchise" myth, I don't know.

But, having the ability to sign better players because of not following salary cap rules to me is far worse than seeking a competitive advantage by doing something that arguably has been going on for years. You almost never hear about either of SF or Denver's past sins, so I continue to hope that this slowly dies as well. The problem is that no one but Pat's fans and the organization seems to want to put this away.

A comment to keep in mind that might help everybody put this in it's proper perspective:

You hate what you fear.

Bacdoc on 11-09-2007 at 09:39 AM said:
Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I think the thing that ticks me off the most is that I believe that both the Broncos and the 49ers who were both guilty of fibbing on the salary cap didn't face nearly the same amount of moral judgment that this team seems to face. Maybe it's because of the "model franchise" myth, I don't know.

But, having the ability to sign better players because of not following salary cap rules to me is far worse than seeking a competitive advantage by doing something that arguably has been going on for years. You almost never hear about either of SF or Denver's past sins, so I continue to hope that this slowly dies as well. The problem is that no one but Pat's fans and the organization seems to want to put this away.

This is so true. I doubt Elway would have won his second SB in Denver if they hadn't found a way around his salary?

First, why would anyone stop staring at your tits?

Second, the Pats are too unique to be the "new anyone."

Third, I think you should show us your tits.

That is all.

CleatMarks on 11-08-2007 at 08:51 PM said:
If you step back from this entire situation, BB has never said a word. He's accepted responsibility and has never said a negative word about another team or coach. Even the Mangini thing was over a handshake. It's amazing how twisted this has become and much people have allowed themselves to get whipped up by the media.

And the hilarious part is that that very behavior has been described as "nixonian" by certain media ass-clowns

Hawg73 on 11-09-2007 at 09:13 AM said:
OBF, meet Flagg -- a long-time vet with plenty of skins on the wall who hasn't been active on the Planet lately, but is as knowledgable as they come.

Flagg-- meet OBF, a relative newbie here, but another longtime fan helping educate her poor husband-- a Raiders fan.

Now, that we've met.......

Hey thanks Hawg for the intro.

Flagg - glad to meetcha. Still not sure I agree about the long-term effects of the current stink. But isn't a difference of opinion what the bookmakers count on to earn their dough :D

GO PATS :pat:

PatsFanLisa on 11-09-2007 at 09:13 AM said:
I just think we need to be appreciated and admired, not looked upon as evil scum.

I sure understand your exasperation, frustration and anger. I think most of us Pats fans go through spells of feeling this way (depending upon how tired we are?). But as for me, I could care less whether the Patriots are appreciated and admired by the press, the fans of rival teams or the Chinese. All I care about is that WE WIN!!!

And we are winning. Winning BIG! All the rest of it is just noise. ;)

oldbagfan on 11-09-2007 at 11:42 AM said:
I sure understand your exasperation, frustration and anger. I think most of us Pats fans go through spells of feeling this way (depending upon how tired we are?). But as for me, I could care less whether the Patriots are appreciated and admired by the press, the fans of rival teams or the Chinese. All I care about is that WE WIN!!!

What she said!! :thumb:

PFL, please don't let the masses "opinion" spoil what is surely to be a memorable season that most of us may never witness again. OF COURSE the haters want to keep piling on about spygate or handshake-gate or whatever-gate because that's ALL they have. Why should we truly care what they say?

IMHO not all of the media outlets (Sirius NFL Radio and NFL Network, for example) are hating on the Pats 24-7 like some of the more sensationalist-driven media outlets are. But those 2 in particular probably don't have the far-reaching audience ESPN does, so the bone-headed drum-beaters tend to drown out the ones who actually make real sense. And that's too bad, really.

I hope you find a way to just let it go in one ear and out the other, and you'll be a lot happier for it. :)

oldbagfan on 11-09-2007 at 11:42 AM said:
But as for me, I could care less whether the Patriots are appreciated and admired by the press, the fans of rival teams or the Chinese. All I care about is that WE WIN!!!

That's the funny thing about "the media". At the same time that the Patriots are being piled on as "bad guys", more of their remaining games are being moved in order to reach a larger audience.

Of course, there is no mention of any Patriots player getting arrested or having off the field legal issues. Marvin Lewis gets no attack for running a football program that resembles the "North Dallas 40". Neither does Jack Del Rio whose Jaguars spend more time in court than Judge Judy does.

The bottom line is most people on this earth are stupid and people believe what they are told. Anyone who thinks the Pats represent a bad element in the NFL is just ignorant. I"m not surprised.

bishbash on 11-09-2007 at 12:42 PM said:
That's the funny thing about "the media". At the same time that the Patriots are being piled on as "bad guys", more of their remaining games are being moved in order to reach a larger audience.

You are 100% right about this big advantage to all the current hoo ha going on in the national media - more air time!

SHOW US GODZILLA! the crowd roars

so they do! :D

Back