Are we headed for a QB controversy?

Zappe owes a lot of his stats to play action. And realistically, all else equal, Mac wouldn't put up those same numbers on the same set of play action passes.

Reason being, when the opposing QB is an untested 4th round rookie with questionable measurables from a small school that didn't run a pro-style offense, and he's helming a team with an outstanding running game...you sell out against the run when they show run!

All/s I know is...just imagine if Mac goes back to his latest normal play? I don't even need to say anything more... :coffee:

Zap/E playing as good as possible WILL bring out the best in Mac Jones...or else he gets prematurely Bledsoe/d.

Zappe owes a lot of his stats to play action. And realistically, all else equal, Mac wouldn't put up those same numbers on the same set of play action passes.

Reason being, when the opposing QB is an untested 4th round rookie with questionable measurables from a small school that didn't run a pro-style offense, and he's helming a team with an outstanding running game...you sell out against the run when they show run!
Let's hope MAC has the game of his NFL career tonight. The sportscasters are so full of crap saying Mac making mistakes because he's throwing further. Total clowns. Mac had no potent protection and NO RUN game so as you say, having a solid running game (along with better O line except WINN) helps alot! Mac's back was really hurting previous game and had to make effort like he was throwing 80yds versus 5 so not holding this years stats against MAC like some are. Glad we have both QB's. Love to beat Buffalo at least once. Was hoping Dolphins would lose yesterday. Love to be a threat in play offs.

TAMPA had game STOLEN by refs last year or Tom probably repeats. TOTALLY BOGUS Rams win from two BOGUS unsportsmanlike penalties costing Tampa and Tom 10 to 14points and that wins game and goes further.

BOTH should have more rings
2007 was the biggest robbery in the history of the NFL and 53 uncalled penalties by Colts not called and bad whistle Turner costing us 7pts early for charity Peyton SB being face of NFL.

A Samuel being called for Bogus penalty against Denver that never took place as replay clearly confirmed that gave Denver win.

Bill blew Eagles SB that without 4 fixed calls we still win. Tom is in trouble this year. Hope Tom wins at least one more SB!

Bill made Tom, and made the opportunity for SB to happen, but Tom was ICE and the greatest of all as you say and sealed the deal, so impressive! Awesome times.

Attachments

• patsSEYMORSB2007 Stranglehold.jpeg
    patsSEYMORSB2007 Stranglehold.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • patsSEYMOUR 2007SB CHOKE.jpeg
    patsSEYMOUR 2007SB CHOKE.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 6
Let's hope MAC has the game of his NFL career tonight. The sportscasters are so full of crap saying Mac making mistakes because he's throwing further. Total clowns. Mac had no potent protection and NO RUN game so as you say, having a solid running game (along with better O line except WINN) helps alot! Mac's back was really hurting previous game and had to make effort like he was throwing 80yds versus 5 so not holding this years stats against MAC like some are. Glad we have both QB's. Love to beat Buffalo at least once. Was hoping Dolphins would lose yesterday. Love to be a threat in play offs.

Back injury?

They didn't make it sound like a big deal but he was dealing with back spasms after the Dolphins game(possibly during?). I think it was just a blip on the injury report.
If we look back at the 3 games that Mac started, he was getting hit and hit hard repeatedly. In those games the OL was playing like 5 individuals instead of a unit.

If we look back at the 3 games that Mac started, he was getting hit and hit hard repeatedly. In those games the OL was playing like 5 individuals instead of a unit.
Oh for sure, he was getting killed. He was rushing throws even when he had time because of being hit so much, seeing ghosts out there.

Oops...

Zap/E time!

just thinking about how bb has handled this makes me believe that he thinks there is not much difference between the 2 qbs. if there were, i think he would have picked one. i def agree with the people who said zappe should have taken most of the reps and started last night. seeing if he could handle the whole primetime atmosphere, etc.

We got our ass kicked in all three phases of the game last night. A so called QB controversy is the least of our problems.
Zap came in and the record will show that he threw a TD pass and set up another TD. The TD pass was a terrible under throw to a wide open Myers, who made a great catch. The other was a throw into double coverage that Parker made a great catch.

We got our ass kicked in all three phases of the game last night. A so called QB controversy is the least of our problems.
Zap came in and the record will show that he threw a TD pass and set up another TD. The TD pass was a terrible under throw to a wide open Myers, who made a great catch. The other was a throw into double coverage that Parker made a great catch.
Quite right. Zappe infused some energy into the team, but was off all night. The two TD drives featured one really nice read & pass (beating the blitz to hit Stevenson), but the rest was "meh," and the two biggest passes were actually crappy. Meyers was WIDE open and should have walked into the end zone in stride, not twisted around and crawl in. And on the Parker catch, of the DB tracked the ball at all he easily boxes Parker out and picks it. That was at least "turnover worthy."

Which isn't to say Mac was good - he wasn't. He didn't return to his crispness from last year. It looks like he's lost that sense of ownership of the offense that stood out so early last year.

Was thinking about this today, and had the Pats D been holding up and it was 0-0 or maybe 3-0, I think Mac stays in (at least longer) to try and work things out.
I'm fine with either starting against Jets and - TBH - unless there's an injury I'd leave whoever starts in the game in there. This is the NFL... if they take some lumps they will either learn and grow from it, or shrink and we'll know they aren't the future.

Quite right. Zappe infused some energy into the team, but was off all night. The two TD drives featured one really nice read & pass (beating the blitz to hit Stevenson), but the rest was "meh," and the two biggest passes were actually crappy. Meyers was WIDE open and should have walked into the end zone in stride, not twisted around and crawl in. And on the Parker catch, of the DB tracked the ball at all he easily boxes Parker out and picks it. That was at least "turnover worthy."

Which isn't to say Mac was good - he wasn't. He didn't return to his crispness from last year. It looks like he's lost that sense of ownership of the offense that stood out so early last year.
Mac lost his edge later on last season...not this season.

I've seen the suggestion (maybe not here, but across the various media outlets that be) that Zappe has limitations in his game and argue he’s therefore unplayable (or not worth playing). I guess what I’m struggling with is the implication that Jones doesn’t have limitations that are (currently) making him unplayable.

IMO both clearly have a lot to work on, but I’d much rather go with the guy who has demonstrated consistently good pocket awareness, poise, field vision, timing/rhythm, and tight-window-throw ability - but lacks stature and will need to adapt to batted passes - than the guy whose current limitation is his ability to consistently operate with poise in the pocket while simultaneously keeping his eyes downfield and seeing the defense.

When Jones gets a clean pocket and can throw in rhythm, he has the ability to be an elite pure passer of the football. Reminds me a lot of Peyton, actually, in many ways, when he’s at his best. A uniquely talented passer, really high level stuff. But being an elite passer of the football, alone, is not sufficient for being an elite quarterback. Zappe, to my eye, has been the better quarterback.

I'm sure Jones is a good person and a great leader. His teammates have genuine, true affection for him and that is not lost on me. He was voted as a team captain by his peers. I don't mean to tarnish him personally or attack his character. To my eye, Zappe just demonstrates better poise on the field than Jones. To put it a bit more simply, this is what I'd refer to as the "it" factor.

It also seems to me Zappe's primary issue at this point (getting the ball across the LOS on the shorter stuff) is easier to work with/around. Play-calls, route-combinations, blocking techniques, little movements in the pocket to create lanes, and just plain practice (like they'd use the rackets with Brady) can all help Zappe. He also seems to wear a low-sitting cleat that looks like something a skill position player might wear. Compare that to Brady/Jones/Garappolo and they tend to wear a higher-sitting cleat, where you can see they're almost standing on a platform and the ankle is sitting much higher. If Zappe can find a pair of cleats/inserts that give him functional height to elevate his release point, and are also comfortable and allow him good mobility, that would help (not solve, but help) his stature problem.

Remember back two or three days ago when we all kind of laughed off the QB controversy thing and figured whoever ended up starting that we'd be in pretty good shape either way?

Yeah.......I remember that. We were all so naive back then. It was adorable.

Back