Bob Sanders Def Player of Year?

Doesn't take much to bring you guys down, huh? The guy just signed a multi-year extension and you are sad because of some possible day 5-6 years in the future without him?

>)

Did they change the name of this award to "Defensive Player of the Year other than when it comes to covering receivers"?

Just wondering. If so, Bob gets my vote!

Oswlek on 01-07-2008 at 04:40 PM said:
Doesn't take much to bring you guys down, huh? The guy just signed a multi-year extension and you are sad because of some possible day 5-6 years in the future without him?

>)
Well Jaric pretty much had the regular season on cruise control, but now the games that matter are starting so the stress begins.

And actually I believe we signed sanders almost as much to prevent having to play against him as we did to make sure he stays on our team.

They send him on a safety blitz and goodbye consecutive start streak for Manning.

SamBam39* on 01-07-2008 at 05:10 PM said:
I don't see him play that much. But his rep is good so I'm sure it is well deserved.
Trust me when I say, if he was a patriot, he would make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

And I would hate him. But that good kinda hate where it's because someone is really good and a PITA to play against.

Wtf....Bob Sanders is good but what has he done this year to merrit Defensive player of the year?

42nd in Tackles....42nd!

Not in the top 50 in sacks or interceptions....what did he do to win this?

PatsFan09* on 01-07-2008 at 05:12 PM said:
Jaric, how do you, playoffs, and alcohol do together? :)
I actually rarely drink anymore.

Not because of any sort of "drinking is bad" type thing, or that I made a concious decision to stop drinking.

I just geniunely prefer sobriety, although do enjoy the taste of quality brew.

Bradys Bunch on 01-07-2008 at 05:14 PM said:
Wtf....Bob Sanders is good but what has he done this year to merrit Defensive player of the year?

42nd in Tackles....42nd!

He impressed John Madden enough to be talked about more than the turducken. It always seemed to me that he was the third player in on a tackle, therefore the 1st off the pile credited with the tackle. Great player? definately.............Pro bowler? Probably.........Defensive MVP? Sickening!

I have no problem with the selection. Sanders is a helluva player. Definately sets the tone for the "D" and sometimes it seems like there's 2 or 3 of him out there. He's a speedy guy and not afraid to throw his body around the field.

I don't think he should be DPOY here's his stats compared to anothers safety:

15 games started 96 tkls 3.5 sacks 0 ff 2 Ints 6 pass defensed
11 games started 68 tkls 2 sacks 1 ff 1 int 7 pass defensed

I don't see a case for one when the other is part of the first team to go Undefeated team in a 16 game scheduled season including against the other guy's team where the othe guy didn't show up other than one play(Rodney had that 1 pick in this game and shut Clark down). Now don't get me wrong I don't think Rodney deserves the DPOY award for no other reason than the HGH but nether does Sanders

Because without Rodney we don't beat Baltimore(he makes at least 6 plays on the last three drives including 3 straight on the second to last drive that led to the game-winning TD), Colts(key Int & shuts down Clark), & the Pittsburgh game(2 plays on goal line stand with the game still in doubt. If he is the DPOY then show me where he singlehandly saved or won one game for Indy.

It's a historical fact that without Sanders Indy has no D. I figure that's why they gave him the award and I really have no problem with it.

He still sucks tho. :D

Haynesworth would have gotten my vote, no offense to sanders

grogsox* on 01-07-2008 at 03:03 PM said:
While I think he is good, is he really the best defensive player of the year? He is obviously the spark of the Colts, but I don't know if he would be my choice for this award.
I respect your opinion, grogsox, but I still have to ask if not him, then who? We can hate the Colts all day, but the fact of the matter is their defense is incredible this year and Bob Sanders is the main reason why. I don't believe there was a defensive player this year that meant more to his team than Sanders, except for maybe Haynesworth. Do you remember last year when they could stop absolutely no one's running game when he was hurt? Once he came back, I don't think Indy allowed one 100-yard rusher after that. He's always around the ball and line of scrimmage.

Bob Sanders deserved to be the Defensive Player of the Year and is the best safety in the NFL. I know some people believe its Polamalu and he's awesome too, but the title of best safety belongs to Sanders right now, in my humble opinion.

and of course Sanders has all that "Colt Class", that should have won it for him right there

2 things from this thread I agree with...

1) Haynesworth was savage this year... he might have had my vote

2) I agree with Spinal Tap... He's a safety you can throw on. Case closed. You can't run at him, but you can damn sure throw at him.

I still have no beef with his POY award.

Bradys Bunch on 01-07-2008 at 05:14 PM said:

42nd in Tackles....42nd!

look at the top 50 players in tackles this year and not one of them would even be considered a candidate for the award. 90 pct of tackles are made by linebackers anyhow.....which is why they win the award most of the time.

Haynesworth, Kerney and others that were mentioned aren't in the top 50. It's difference makers and players that make big plays are the ones that win the DPOY

OK so Sanders can stop the run I agree with that. He lays the lumber I can agree with that. But can you say he's better then Cromartie with 10 pics and 44 tackles? What about Kearney 62 tackles, 14.5 sacks, a pic, and 5 force fumbles? Stat wise those guys are better. If you say well he's the heart and soul of the defense then there are 31 other teams who would tell you otherwise. He's good, and he helps them stop the run with his aggressive charge to the line, but he is not the DPOY.

Back