Brady #1 on incompletions from drops

dchester

Snoop Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose the stats are skewed since the Pats do pass the ball a lot more than average, but this still is disturbing.

Tom Brady has more incompletions on drops than any quarterback in NFL

The Patriots’ offense has certainly been hurt by injuries this season. It’s also a unit that hasn’t always helped itself.

The latest instance occurred — repeatedly, painfully and influentially — in the Patriots’ 35-28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles last Sunday.

Quarterback Tom Brady had 17 incompletions among his 56 pass attempts. According to profootballfocus.com, eight of those were drops.

Plenty of would-be pass catchers were in on the act. Keshawn Martin had three drops, although one came on a play that would have been negated by a penalty had he made the catch, while Danny Amendola and Scott Chandler had two drops each and Brandon LaFell one.

LaFell, Amendola and Martin dropped passes on consecutive plays as the Patriots tried to mount a game-tying touchdown drive in the final minute of the game. All three would have been good for first downs, two for large chunks of yardage.

Instead, the Patriots turned the ball over to the Eagles with 20 seconds to play, sealing their second consecutive defeat.

“I just took my eyes off the ball at the last minute looking up the field,” LaFell said of his drop after the loss. “That’s one of those plays I’ve got to come down with it.”

Sportingcharts.com has credited LaFell, who has a history of butterfingers dating to his days at LSU, with four drops this season. That’s tied for the 18th-most in the NFL, a ranking that’s particularly impressive, if you will, because it’s been achieved in just seven games.

LaFell has plenty of company as profootballfocus.com has credited the Patriots with a league-leading 41 drops. Sportingcharts.com has them with 26, giving Brady more incompletions on drops than any quarterback in the league.

. . .

http://www.telegram.com/article/20151208/SPORTS/151209325/101360/rss777

D.A. rarely drops any so I'll cut him some slack but LaFell needs to step it up. Chandler was having issues, but has played better (catching wise) of late too. I like Martin, I think he could be a nice fill in. Speaking of former Hou WRs, Louis Riddick was talking on ESPN about that guy the Pats just picked up from Houston. He thinks that kid (cannot think of his name) could develop into a nice slot player for the Pats.

The drops have been a killer. Much is a factor of all the new guys and LaFell having the dropsies his first few games back. But that has to get fixed.

I suppose the stats are skewed since the Pats do pass the ball a lot more than average, but this still is disturbing.

The Patriots’ offense has certainly been hurt by injuries this season. It’s also a unit that hasn’t always helped itself.

The latest instance occurred — repeatedly, painfully and influentially — in the Patriots’ 35-28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles last Sunday.

Quarterback Tom Brady had 17 incompletions among his 56 pass attempts. According to profootballfocus.com, eight of those were drops.

Plenty of would-be pass catchers were in on the act. Keshawn Martin had three drops, although one came on a play that would have been negated by a penalty had he made the catch, while Danny Amendola and Scott Chandler had two drops each and Brandon LaFell one.

LaFell, Amendola and Martin dropped passes on consecutive plays as the Patriots tried to mount a game-tying touchdown drive in the final minute of the game. All three would have been good for first downs, two for large chunks of yardage.

Instead, the Patriots turned the ball over to the Eagles with 20 seconds to play, sealing their second consecutive defeat.

“I just took my eyes off the ball at the last minute looking up the field,” LaFell said of his drop after the loss. “That’s one of those plays I’ve got to come down with it.”

Sportingcharts.com has credited LaFell, who has a history of butterfingers dating to his days at LSU, with four drops this season. That’s tied for the 18th-most in the NFL, a ranking that’s particularly impressive, if you will, because it’s been achieved in just seven games.

LaFell has plenty of company as profootballfocus.com has credited the Patriots with a league-leading 41 drops. Sportingcharts.com has them with 26, giving Brady more incompletions on drops than any quarterback in the league.

. . .

27 incompletions, not 17.

I'm not really interested in picking nits on stats, but 8 drops out of 17 is a hell of a lot worse than 8 out of 27 even though that is still awful.

I'm in the "it's everything" group.

It's the lack of time, it's the injuries, it's the rust, it's the secondary tier of talent, it's Brady pressing too much and sometimes just missing on throws.

That final drive was pretty bad. Amendola and Martin both dropped catchable, although decidedly not-great passes.

As Jerry Thornton said on EEI last night, just wait until someone writes it's because it's harder to catch fully inflated balls.

As Jerry Thornton said on EEI last night, just wait until someone writes it's because it's harder to catch fully inflated balls.

I said this before, I am genuinely shocked that this has not been raised by the various idiot pundits on ESPN.

I said this before, I am genuinely shocked that this has not been raised by the various idiot pundits on ESPN.

If they raised that point then they might be called upon to explain what happened the first nine weeks of the season or so.

I think whatever they decide to drop on Brady and the Pats in the near future it has to be a defensible position. I have a feeling that the heat in that particular kitchen got a little uncomfortable for them.

I would like to see our stats on drops going back from 2006 forward. This year seems like just too many new guys and then LaFell coming back from PUP and dropping a ton. Brady has had a pretty good deep ball this season as well which also fuels the DG fire.

If they raised that point then they might be called upon to explain what happened the first nine weeks of the season or so.

I think whatever they decide to drop on Brady and the Pats in the near future it has to be a defensible position. I have a feeling that the heat in that particular kitchen got a little uncomfortable for them.

Well you were obviously back to cheating those games.

:D

D.A. rarely drops any so I'll cut him some slack but LaFell needs to step it up. Chandler was having issues, but has played better (catching wise) of late too. I like Martin, I think he could be a nice fill in. Speaking of former Hou WRs, Louis Riddick was talking on ESPN about that guy the Pats just picked up from Houston. He thinks that kid (cannot think of his name) could develop into a nice slot player for the Pats.

It seemed like everybody was dropping balls towards the end of the game. It was a shame, as Brady had found his mojo again, but no one could catch the #$%@ing ball.

:banghead:

I would like to see our stats on drops going back from 2006 forward. This year seems like just too many new guys and then LaFell coming back from PUP and dropping a ton. Brady has had a pretty good deep ball this season as well which also fuels the DG fire.

We have had years where we were 1st or 2nd in drops before, so doubt anyone can point to the stupid inflation of the ball.

It's not injuries - even Jules and Gronk have been droppin em like it's hot this season, very frustrating to watch.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The genius commenters on PFT have already started squawking about how TB has thrown more ints, had more drops etc now that the weather is getting colder so that proves they can't play with fully inflated balls. Dear god, I hope they don't breed and vote.

. . .

It isn't hard to figure out the reasons why though...

Brady's weapons better figure out how to catch the ball better.

The oline should be doing their job...instead of mimicking turnstiles.

And Brady could also be doing his job better too.

/critique :coffee:

One of the worst stats to be #1 in on offense . It only got worse . When Lewis & Edelman got injured . Lefell 7 drops on his first game back didn't help.

I'm starting to really dismiss the "drop" stat. It's turned into the "tackle" stat. It seems as if a pass is within 5 feet of a receiver, it's considered a drop.

Have there been some drops this year? Sure, but I don't think it's any more than any other team. Brady seems to be getting an awfully wide berth when it comes to his accuracy.

Back