Bruschi's take on hunt for D-coordinator

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
ESPN analyst and former Patriot Tedy Bruschi thinks New England will choose an internal candidate to replace defensive coordinator Dean Pees, though he thinks the coach might not get the defensive coordinator title.

“With Al Groh and Romeo Crennel of the market, I’d be surprised if they hired somebody from the outside,” Bruschi said. “Two names to keep in mind: [Patriots defensive line coach] Pepper Johnson and [linebackers coach] Matt Patricia. Pepper Johnson has a lifetime of experience playing and coaching in the Bill Belichick schemes and Matt Patricia is one of the brightest young coaches in the NFL. Look for one of these two coaches to pull the [inaudible] of defensive coordinator.

“But remember, when Charlie Weis left for Notre Dame there was no technical ‘offensive coordinator.’ Josh McDaniels was calling the plays and doing all the work of an offensive coordinator but he was never named offensive coordinator. This is a possibility with Johnson and Patricia.”

More...

ESPN analyst and former Patriot Tedy Bruschi thinks New England will choose an internal candidate to replace defensive coordinator Dean Pees, though he thinks the coach might not get the defensive coordinator title.

“With Al Groh and Romeo Crennel of the market, I’d be surprised if they hired somebody from the outside,” Bruschi said. “Two names to keep in mind: [Patriots defensive line coach] Pepper Johnson and [linebackers coach] Matt Patricia. Pepper Johnson has a lifetime of experience playing and coaching in the Bill Belichick schemes and Matt Patricia is one of the brightest young coaches in the NFL. Look for one of these two coaches to pull the [inaudible] of defensive coordinator.

“But remember, when Charlie Weis left for Notre Dame there was no technical ‘offensive coordinator.’ Josh McDaniels was calling the plays and doing all the work of an offensive coordinator but he was never named offensive coordinator. This is a possibility with Johnson and Patricia.”

More...
2010 - the year we have no coordinators :doh:

I'd say it seems likely that we'll promote from within for the DC. But what about on the offensive side of the ball? Do we go another year with BoB?

And do we hire some good assistants (Vrabel?)

Is it me or am I the only one getting a little tired of hearing Bru expound on everything? I know he is an analyst, but come on.....

I'd say it seems likely that we'll promote from within for the DC. But what about on the offensive side of the ball? Do we go another year with BoB?

And do we hire some good assistants (Vrabel?)

How does one hire an assistant who's currently under contract to another team?

Oh yeah, as a player to boot.

Is it me or am I the only one getting a little tired of hearing Bru expound on everything? I know he is an analyst, but come on.....

Yup. And his info is usually stuff that is extremely obvious or previously reported elsewhere :(

I'm not sure what else he is supposed to talk about? He has to fill the page right?

You think he's gonna give you inside Patriots info?

That's funny.

What? You clearly missed the point. All I meant was that while Bruschi sometimes offers interesting/unique insights, there are other times when he basically just repeats news or stories that have already been reported. Whether it's his doing or not, it's like he's required to say something about every Pats news story, and many of his comments just rehash what we've already heard.

I'm not saying he should give insider information, but recently I've rarely turned to him for great insight.

What? You clearly missed the point. All I meant was that while Bruschi sometimes offers interesting/unique insights, there are other times when he basically just repeats news or stories that have already been reported. Whether it's his doing or not, it's like he's required to say something about every Pats news story, and many of his comments just rehash what we've already heard.

I'm not saying he should give insider information, but recently I've rarely turned to him for great insight.
He's in the media now, and he's expected to be one of the "faces" of ESPN's new "local" affiliate effort - what else should you expect? It's not as if he's a trained journalist assigned to dig up stories, he was hired to be a commentator - when the boss says comment you comment. :shrug:

He's in the media now, and he's expected to be one of the "faces" of ESPN's new "local" affiliate effort - what else should you expect? It's not as if he's a trained journalist assigned to dig up stories, he was hired to be a commentator - when the boss says comment you comment. :shrug:

Of course, but having separate threads for everything Bruschi "thinks" or "says" is a complete waste most of the time. Look at this thread, it gives absolutely nothing new but exists because Bruschi had something to say. Obviously he can say whatever he wants, but it seems like many of these threads are made because Bruschi is the commentator, regardless of how valuable his commentary is.

This isn't a bash on him, he does give some interesting insight at times.

Of course, but having separate threads for everything Bruschi "thinks" or "says" is a complete waste most of the time. Look at this thread, it gives absolutely nothing new but exists because Bruschi had something to say. Obviously he can say whatever he wants, but it seems like many of these threads are made because Bruschi is the commentator, regardless of how valuable his commentary is.

This isn't a bash on him, he does give some interesting insight at times.
It's Hooterbot, what do you expect?

Back