Cam Newton BENCHED for dress code violation

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
Biggest story coming out of last night's game is Newton being benched to start the game for violating a team dress code. Apparently he was supposed to wear a tie on the flight to Seattle. Of course when the back up came in he threw a pick on the first play and Seattle scored 3. LOL.

Poor Ron Rivera. He is going to get it all day for benching the STAR. In fairness though, Newton said he had no issue with the benching and it was his fault and that Rivera treats all his players the same.

That's squarely on Newton. 52 wear a tie and the most prominent doesn't? That's not whoops. That's defiance.

The pick?

Off both hands. Anderson will get trashed but the fat guy shoulda hauled that one in.

That's squarely on Newton. 52 wear a tie and the most prominent doesn't? That's not whoops. That's defiance.

The pick?

Off both hands. Anderson will get trashed but the fat guy shoulda hauled that one in.

Newton said a tie would not go with his outfit. :banghead:

Yep, that's a leader all right...has to be benched for a dress code incident.
I guess there are no clothing stores where they were. :rolleyes:

Disappointed in Newton. I've gone to bat for him many times, defended him and agreed that he has been very unfairly treated by the officials and the non RTP calls.

But this kind of thing is a worry added to his behaviour post SB and his other petulant behaviour at times. He needs to grow up fast.

Rivera has always had his back so this benching does seem like a big deal. Perhaps he was sending a message to the team.

They played a clip of newton after the game saying he's worn similar outfits (tieless) before with no issues. Florio is speculating it could be that he's broken it enough times that other players are bitching /rivera himself felt he needed to address it.

Kaepernick benched because 1-5 for 4 yards, 5 sacks in 3 quarters :toast:

Newton said a tie would not go with his outfit. :banghead:

Yup. He said he was offered other ties (presumably by teammates), but they wouldn't go with what he was wearing.

For a dude that dresses as goofily as Newton often does, this is surprising...

This quote below about the GOAT, versus a guy who couldn't be bothered to wear a tie per team rules...

Mike ReissVerified account ‏@MikeReiss 14h14 hours ago
Malcolm Butler (re: Tom Brady): "A walking legend ... but he still comes to work like he hasn’t accomplished anything. I look up to that."

Rivera did him a favor. That 40-7 loss technically goes on Anderson's resume now

It's not about the tie...it's about being a leader.

I think both of you guys have points.

For football players, being team-oriented and professional is important. Wearing a tie and conforming to the team's internal code of conduct is a way of acknowledging those elements of team-building.

But that's only a small aspect of leadership. Always being prepared, being on-time, doing everything that all your other teammates do - these are things that get noticed, a lot, when they don't happen.

My guess is that Rivera saw that he needed to send a message to Newton, not because of the tie, but because some of the other leadership things expected of a face-of-the-franchise QB weren't happening.

The lack of a tie was just a convenient trigger - if it weren't that it would have been something else.

For football players, being team-oriented and professional is important. Wearing a tie and conforming to the team's internal code of conduct is a way of acknowledging those elements of team-building.

But that's only a small aspect of leadership. Always being prepared, being on-time, doing everything that all your other teammates do - these are things that get noticed, a lot, when they don't happen.

My guess is that Rivera saw that he needed to send a message to Newton, not because of the tie, but because some of the other leadership things expected of a face-of-the-franchise QB weren't happening.

The lack of a tie was just a convenient trigger - if it weren't that it would have been something else.

Either way, I don't think that by being benched for one series would have mattered last night. But, it did contribute to their blowout however.

Didn't toe the line, wasn't a good footsoldier, didn't put his best foot forward... #wallypipp

Didn't toe the line, wasn't a good footsoldier, didn't put his best foot forward... #wallypipp

Your first post rights in the next game thread have been suspended for overuse of foot puns. You can fully participate from your second post on. #weswekler

The thing is, Newton has been doing this all along, and Rivera didn't give a shit when his team was 15-1.

Doing a 180 and suddenly playing the hardass when your team sucks, is usually the beginning of the end for a coach. :coffee:

Back