Carson Palmer to Raiders

ROFL ROFL

I have a can of Spaghettios....I wonder if I can trade that for season tickets in the Coliseum?

Make sure you get some face paint, and spiked shoulder padsROFL

The Raiders have traded 4 picks in the 2012 draft, and 3 in the 2013..

You've gotta be kidding me. Cincy absolutely raped Oakland on this one. Palmer isn't worth a single 3rd rounder, let alone potentially multiple firsts.

I know that team has its first winning season in a decade in their sights, but come on.

While Palmer may not be the second coming of Joe Montana (since Brady is, but I digress) I think Palmer will be an adequate QB to keep them winning games and remaining competitive for the AFCW... Makes sense on one level for Oakland to do this. Yes, it's their first chance at a winning season - and they are in the hunt for their division - so why throw the opportunity away?

Will Palmer help them win the division, and make a deep playoff run? Maybe. But without an experienced starting QB, they stand no chance. At all.

I think they gave up too much for him, but then, who else is out there? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young? Donovan McNabb shortly?

So, to sum up, this was probably the best option for them at this point in time, imho.

I'm truly flabbergasted.

Makes me wonder what Brady would fetch in a hypothetical scenario.. the next 15 1st round picks?

Two possible 1sts for a QB coming in from retirement in mid-October? ROFL

While Palmer may not be the second coming of Joe Montana (since Brady is, but I digress) I think Palmer will be an adequate QB to keep them winning games and remaining competitive for the AFCW... Makes sense on one level for Oakland to do this. Yes, it's their first chance at a winning season - and they are in the hunt for their division - so why throw the opportunity away?

Will Palmer help them win the division, and make a deep playoff run? Maybe. But without an experienced starting QB, they stand no chance. At all.

I think they gave up too much for him, but then, who else is out there? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young? Donovan McNabb shortly?

So, to sum up, this was probably the best option for them at this point in time, imho.

The best QB available? Sure. But you don't trade two firsts for a QB who is marginally better than guys on the street. I wouldn't trade Brian Hoyer for Carson Palmer straight up.

I disagree, this is the panic option.

Does that team have enough young talent to have traded away seven high picks in the next two drafts; including potentially their two 1sts? No.

If they happen to win the division this year, they will likely be one and done in the playoffs, and that might be their high point for another couple of years. Panic moves like this are why bad teams stay bad.

If they win the SuperBowl this year, fine it was worth it; but that is an extremely outside shot.

SSDD

The best QB available? Sure. But you don't trade two firsts for a QB who is marginally better than guys on the street. I wouldn't trade Brian Hoyer for Carson Palmer straight up.

I don't disagree with you. I just think the Raiders did the best they could under the circumstances. At least they didn't decide to tank the season like a few other teams apparently have. :coffee:

Kudos to Mike Brown for pulling of that trade. The Bengals are already getting nice production from their rookies A.J. Green and Andy Dalton and their defense is playing even better right now. If they are able to hit on those first round picks they could be able to challenge the Steelers and Ravens for the AFC North.

I disagree, this is the panic option.

Does that team have enough young talent to have traded away seven high picks in the next two drafts; including potentially their two 1sts? No.

If they happen to win the division this year, they will likely be one and done in the playoffs, and that might be their high point for another couple of years. Panic moves like this are why bad teams stay bad.

If they win the SuperBowl this year, fine it was worth it; but that is an extremely outside shot.

SSDD

Ok, so we disagree. Tell me what, or who, was the better option for them?

:coffee:

Ok, so we disagree. Tell me what, or who, was the better option for them?

:coffee:

Yeah but two firsts? What player in the league would the Patriots give up two first rounders for right now?

That's one way of looking at it (the Raiders did, for sure).

But now they don't pick in next year's draft until the 5th round.

So what you have is a QB that may win some games for you (though if he plays like last year's Carson Palmer, that's debatable). Will he get you to the playoffs? Maybe. Will he get you to the Superbowl? No. Basically the same endgame you would have ended up with playing Kyle Boller (minus the playoffs - but that doesn't matter if you don't win the Superbowl).

So basically, you're mortgaging your future in not only the 2012 draft, but 2013 as well for a guy with mediocre talent that will probably play for you for two or three years. I think they saw the shiny red 'AFCW winner Playoff Button' and couldn't resist pushing it. What they didn't see was that it simultaneously blew up their 2012-2013 team building exercises.

I dunno, man. Smells like a bad fish to me, but hey - it'll be fun to watch oLOL

So what you have is a QB that may win some games for you (though if he plays like last year's Carson Palmer, that's debatable). Will he get you to the playoffs? Maybe. Will he get you to the Superbowl? No. Basically the same endgame you would have ended up with playing Kyle Boller (minus the playoffs - but that doesn't matter if you don't win the Superbowl).

So basically, you're mortgaging your future in not only the 2012 draft, but 2013 as well for a guy with mediocre talent that will probably play for you for two or three years. I think they saw the shiny red 'AFCW winner Playoff Button' and couldn't resist pushing it. What they didn't see was that it simultaneously blew up their 2012-2013 team building exercises.

I dunno, man. Smells like a bad fish to me, but hey - it'll be fun to watch oLOL

Eh. They would probably screw up the draft pick anyway with a deep snapper in the first round followed up a Center with break away speed.

That's ok, I'm sure there are plenty of guys with speed in that round. :coffee:

Yup. LOL

The Raiders spent draft picks on three different quarterbacks this season. :D

I agree that a 1st and a conditional first is Brown raiding the Raiders. That side of the deal fails. But from the Raiders perspective it looks a little better. The offense the Raiders use is reportedly very similar to the Bengals' since Hue Jackson cut his teeth coaching the Bengals' O. I've read that even the offensive nomenclature is the same. Palmer should be able to get up to speed very quickly and he could be just what Oakland needs to compete for the division crown. This move won't win them a SB this year and, yes, their future is mortgaged to the hilt for 2 years, but at least they are headed in the right direction.

I agree that a 1st and a conditional first is Brown raiding the Raiders. That side of the deal fails. But from the Raiders perspective it looks a little better. The offense the Raiders use is reportedly very similar to the Bengals' since Hue Jackson cut his teeth coaching the Bengals' O. I've read that even the offensive nomenclature is the same. Palmer should be able to get up to speed very quickly and he could be just what Oakland needs to compete for the division crown. This move won't win them a SB this year and, yes, their future is mortgaged to the hilt for 2 years, but at least they are headed in the right direction.

Considering how poorly Palmer has played for a few years now, your closing line is very debatable.

Hell, even if Palmer does come in and play well, he probably only has 2-3 more years left and then Oakland needs to start all over again without the infusion of top end speed.

All in all, I'd say this move is going in the wrong direction.

Back