Chandler Jones traded to Cardinals

From what I could tell, Jones was really a one-trick pony. Not dominant enough to be worth the dollars he was going to demand. Really need to be in the 15-20 sacks a year range to pull that off. He isn't, at least not in the Pats' system.

Yes, this.

Jones would disappear for long stretches, it seems. Never seemed to really win a one-on-one at a critical juncture.

Nice player, but not an elite end rusher, IMO.

I'm fine with this trade. There's no way they were going to reach an agreement with him next season. Why not get something for him now instead of letting him walk next season? Not to mention getting a Guard/Center with some serious potential. It may never be realized but if anyone is going to get it out of him, it's Scar. I got a feeling Chris Long will be a Patriot by the end of the week.

For everybody freaking out over this move, consider this-

as a HC, Bill has won 6 conference championships and 4 Super Bowls. Over the last 15 years they've averaged slightly more than 12 wins per season and have been to 10 conference championship games. As the DC for Parcells in New York, he won 2 more Super Bowls. Do you SERIOUSLY doubt this guy at this point or think he doesn't know what he's doing?

c'mon...

Bombshell!!

But Scar's in on it so who am I to disagree? :dbanana:

Also:
Cooper gets $675k base salary and a $1,713,954 roster bonus if he's on the team the 2nd day of training camp for total of $2,338,954. This Jones trade saves us $4.9M on the cap and we get a terrific OLineman.

"Injury issues and generally been a dissapointment"

Scar is great, but he's not a magician.

Whatever BB decides I'm good with plus they needed another good O lineman to protect TB. Chandler got his ring, now he can try to get one with Arizona and that's a real possibility.

Randy Moss looked like his career was over in Oakland. Corey Dillon was labeled a trouble maker and a malcontent in Cincinnati. Remind me again how those worked out...

I'm fine with this trade. There's no way they were going to reach an agreement with him next season. Why not get something for him now instead of letting him walk next season? Not to mention getting a Guard/Center with some serious potential. It may never be realized but if anyone is going to get it out of him, it's Scar. I got a feeling Chris Long will be a Patriot by the end of the week.
I agree

The Patriots get the 30th pick in the second round from AZ so now will pick at No. 60 and 61 overall.

Coincidentally 60 + 61 = 592 pts
Pick 32 (1st pick of 2nd rnd this year) = 590 pts

http://theredzone.org/NFLDraft/NFLDraftValueChart.aspx

BB has some ammunition if he chooses to use it.

Wouldn't have the Pats picked #30 if they still had their 1st round pick? That would have been a 620 to 592 value. Overall, still good, if both picks make the team and contribute.

Randy Moss looked like his career was over in Oakland. Corey Dillon was labeled a trouble maker and a malcontent in Cincinnati. Remind me again how those worked out...

Those 2 were great at one point in their career. This guy hasn't shown much.

Apples and oranges.

I am, of course, hoping you are right and Scar and BB turn this guy into Logan Mankins. I just mentioned that calling him "terrific" at this point is a stretch.

Wouldn't have the Pats picked #30 if they still had their 1st round pick? That would have been a 620 to 592 value. Overall, still good, if both picks make the team and contribute.

The Patriots get the 30th pick in the second round from AZ so now will pick at No. 60 and 61 overall.

Coincidentally 60 + 61 = 592 pts
Pick 32 (1st pick of 2nd rnd this year) = 590 pts

http://theredzone.org/NFLDraft/NFLDraftValueChart.aspx

Actually, according to Pro Football Reference.com, the Patriots would have chosen 29th in the 1st round with an assigned value of 640.

There's this

The Patriots have a decision to make even more quickly. By May 3, they must exercise (or not) guard Jonathan Cooper’s 2017 option. Because Cooper was picked in the top 10 of the 2013 draft, his option salary for 2017 matches the transition tender for offensive linemen in 2016. The magic number is a whopping $11.902 million.

Per multiple sources, Cooper did not adjust his contract in connection with the trade. It means that the Patriots will have to decide based on limited information whether to pick up an option that, if exercised, will give Cooper an injury-only guaranteed of $11.902 million for 2017.

Either way, Cooper has a base salary of $675,000 for 2016. If the option isn’t exercised, it will be Cooper’s contract year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ly-quick-decision-to-make-on-jonathan-cooper/

Those 2 were great at one point in their career. This guy hasn't shown much.

Apples and oranges.

I am, of course, hoping you are right and Scar and BB turn this guy into Logan Mankins. I just mentioned that calling him "terrific" at this point is a stretch.

true, but you have to trust that they see something in him or they wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Cooper was the 7th overall pick of the 2013 pick so he was highly thought of. Injuries happen as Easley can attest but if he wasn't healthy now he couldn't be traded.

My cup is generally half full so I may have been happy with this trade even if Scar wasn't on board but knowing Scar is on board and I'm ecstatic.

From Wiki
40 pancake blocks his redshirt freshman year; 55 his 2nd year. Wow.

2013 NFL Draft

Cooper was widely considered one of the top guard prospects in the 2013 NFL Draft, along with Chance Warmack. After the NFL Combine, Sports Illustrated projected him as the No. 10 overall selection.[8

<table class="wikitable" style="font-size:89%"><tbody><tr><th>Ht</th> <th>Wt</th> <th>Arm length</th> <th>Hand size</th> <th>40-yd dash</th> <th>10-yd split</th> <th>20-yd split</th> <th>20-ss</th> <th>3-cone</th> <th>Vert</th> <th>Broad</th> <th>BP</th> </tr> <tr> <td style="text-align:center">6 ft 2 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>8</sub> in</td> <td style="text-align:center">311 lb</td> <td style="text-align:center">33 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">10 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> in</td> <td style="text-align:center">5.07 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">
</td> <td style="text-align:center">
</td> <td style="text-align:center">4.84 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">7.78 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">27 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">9 ft 0 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">35 reps</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="20" style="text-align:center"><small>All values from NFL Combine<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[9]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[10]</sup></small></td> </tr> </tbody></table> Arizona Cardinals

Cooper was signed to a 4 year, $14.55 million contract on July 28, 2013.<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[11]</sup> On August 24, 2013 in the 3rd preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, Cooper broke his left fibula. On August 30, the Cardinals placed him on IR.
New England Patriots

On March 15, 2016, Cooper and a 2nd round draft pick were traded to the New England Patriots for defensive end Chandler Jones. <sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[12]</sup>.

Cooper was the 7th overall pick of the 2013 pick so he was highly thought of. Injuries happen as Easley can attest but he wasn't healthy now he couldn't be traded.

My cup is generally half full so I may have been happy with this trade even if Scar wasn't on board but knowing Scar is on board and I'm ecstatic.

From Wiki
40 pancake blocks his redshirt freshman year; 55 his 2nd year. Wow.

2013 NFL Draft

Cooper was widely considered one of the top guard prospects in the 2013 NFL Draft, along with Chance Warmack. After the NFL Combine, Sports Illustrated projected him as the No. 10 overall selection.[8https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Cooper#cite_note-8

<table class="wikitable" style="font-size:89%"><tbody><tr><th>Ht</th> <th>Wt</th> <th>Arm length</th> <th>Hand size</th> <th>40-yd dash</th> <th>10-yd split</th> <th>20-yd split</th> <th>20-ss</th> <th>3-cone</th> <th>Vert</th> <th>Broad</th> <th>BP</th> </tr> <tr> <td style="text-align:center">6 ft 2 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>8</sub> in</td> <td style="text-align:center">311 lb</td> <td style="text-align:center">33 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">10 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> in</td> <td style="text-align:center">5.07 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">
</td> <td style="text-align:center">
</td> <td style="text-align:center">4.84 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">7.78 s</td> <td style="text-align:center">27 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">9 ft 0 in</td> <td style="text-align:center">35 reps</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="20" style="text-align:center"><small>All values from NFL Combine<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[9]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[10]</sup></small></td> </tr> </tbody></table> Arizona Cardinals

Cooper was signed to a 4 year, $14.55 million contract on July 28, 2013.<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[11]</sup> On August 24, 2013 in the 3rd preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, Cooper broke his left fibula. On August 30, the Cardinals placed him on IR.
New England Patriots

On March 15, 2016, Cooper and a 2nd round draft pick were traded to the New England Patriots for defensive end Chandler Jones. <sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[12]</sup>.

I read all this. This kid seems to have enormous upside.

Love this trade for both sides. Arizona gets a very good pass rusher who's very inconsistent

NE gets a guard with great potential but has been a bust so far and a 2nd pick who will either turn into a great player or another SS who was projected to go undrafted lol

Seriously tho I feel it was a fairly even trade with a small edge going to NE becuz of the 2nd. cooper is just a nice complement who can turn into a stud

I LOVE this trade. No way is Jones worth $15 mil a year. To have gotten a second AND a first round talent guard is a major score IMO. Not to mention that cap savings. I think Sheard will fill in just fine and perhaps Long too? The draft is deep at DL too so I could see the Pats signing a couple of rushers ...

Back