Channing Crowder: Grade-A A-Hole

TITAN126

I love the inter-highway
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5708701

I've always thought of Crowder as an a-hole, but I think this takes it to another level. Thoughts?

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder says the only way of preventing helmet-to-helmet hits is to eliminate the helmet.

Otherwise he's going to use his, regardless of punishment from league officials.

"If I get a chance to knock somebody out, I'm going to knock them out and take what they give me," Crowder said Wednesday. "They give me a helmet, I'm going to use it."

After several recent helmet-to-helmet hits, several of which resulted in concussions, the NFL ramped up the punishment Tuesday. Three players received big fines, and the league warned that starting with this week's games, violent conduct will be cause for suspension.

There's particular concern about helmet hits, but many players are unhappy about the crackdown. That includes Crowder, who said concussions are a normal part of the game.

He thinks he gets one every week and often keeps playing.

"If I'm knocked out, I don't know where I'm at, I can't say my name, now I can't play football," he said. "If I get hit in the head and black out for a second and now I get back up dizzy, OK, I'm ready to go."

Crowder missed the first four games this season because of an injury -- to his groin -- before rejoining the lineup last week. He said he has been getting concussions since high school, but in six NFL seasons he has missed only 13 games, none because of a concussion.

Crowder said the NFL is "making a big deal about nothing" and cited money as the motivation.

"They want to save the receivers and quarterbacks because they sell all the jerseys," Crowder said. "They don't give a damn at all about defensive players because we don't sell as many jerseys as them. ...

"If they want to change football to a graceful sport, change it all the way to a graceful sport. Don't try to save the quarterbacks and receivers because they make the money, which that's what they're doing," he said.

Matt Light, what do you think about these comments?

nfl_ap_light_crowder1_300.jpg

PUSH24_DOLPHINS_SPTS_JWR.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

channing-crowder-matt-light.jpg

6xdavis_patsfins25C_spts__1227753999_3232.jpg

2aff4538b3_light_1126.jpg

Bye bye, Channing. :wave:

I don't know that he truly means that. What I'm getting from a lot of these players is just flat out frustration at what they see as the NFL trying to pussify their game. A lot of these players are doing is just saying and doing things that they normally wouldn't to make a point. See numbnuts from Pittsburgh threatening to retire.

They actually talked a bit about this this morning on Sirius and how they don't have concussions in rugby and they don't wear helmets at all. No helmets mean they avoid hitting the head completely.

The announcers dismissed the idea - but the caller had a point. The results speak for themselves. Most injuries in rugby are shoulder injuries. They have some broken noses and teeth but hardly any concussions to speak of. You know it will never happen in the NFL - but it is an interesting point.

They actually talked a bit about this this morning on Sirius and how they don't have concussions in rugby and they don't wear helmets at all. No helmets mean they avoid hitting the head completely.

The announcers dismissed the idea - but the caller had a point. The results speak for themselves. Most injuries in rugby are shoulder injuries. They have some broken noses and teeth but hardly any concussions to speak of. You know it will never happen in the NFL - but it is an interesting point.

The more protection, the braver some of these guys get, they feel like they can't hurt, or be hurt.

Similar things have happened in hockey, the shoulder pads have become weapons, because the player throwing the hit doesn't feel it, the pads are lighter, and harder and inflict more damage than the old time ones.

Without question the helmet has become a weapon with all the padding inside that extra hard 50th generation plastic shell. I read somewhere recently the NFL is looking into research that will allow the plastic shell to be eliminated.

That is pretty interesting. On one hand, you wouldn't have to worry about anyone leading with the head to make a tackle. But on the other, I think the hits in the NFL are a lot more intense than anything in rugby.

<<
Look at Hanson in those two pictures.
>>

I was thinking the same think looking at the big smile on his face LOL

He's thinking "Nobody ever takes a swing at the punter, it's fun to enjoy other people's pain while nothing happens to you"

In Crowder's defense, a helmet doesn't really matter much in his case anyway.

Troy Aikman said last year that they should stop wearing helmets. At the time I thought maybe he was nuts but I am starting to see his point.

Joe Pa just proposed the no-helmet thing, too.

It's not all that different from the traffic light argument, really. Do traffic lights really make us safer? Before vs. after putting one in the data is usually clear that it was safer before it went in. When there are measures in place to keep you safe, the mistake people make is to trust them, so they're not careful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back