Congrats to HOFer, David Ortiz!

Wow. A DH got 99.9%. If ANY DH is going to get that, it's David Ortiz. Well-fucking-deserved, Papi.

The fact that Schilling nearly got the same number of votes as Clemens is gross. Schilling was at no time the best pitcher on his own staff. This would be like putting John Taylor in the hall of fame.

Wow. A DH got 99.9%. If ANY DH is going to get that, it's David Ortiz. Well-fucking-deserved, Papi.

The fact that Schilling nearly got the same number of votes as Clemens is gross. Schilling was at no time the best pitcher on his own staff. This would be like putting John Taylor in the hall of fame.
My bad, he got 77.9%.

One of the best clutch hitters in MLB history.
I'm hard pressed to think of one better. All the usual suspects struck out as often as they came through. Ortiz' 2004 ALCS run (and 07 and 13 for that matter), was as close to impossible as I've ever seen in baseball. 22/55 (.400) 13 walks, 5 HR, 19 RBI in the 2004 postseason, most of that in the ALCS. .515 OBP and .764 SLG gets you 1.279 OPS. That was just one postseason. 2007 was probably better. Even if you're removed from being a Red Sox fan, that alone gets you in the HoF discussion. In 3 WS appearances, he hit .455/.576./795/1.372. Bonkers.

Schilling is a top 3 postseason pitcher. Few were better. His WAR is just sickening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm thrilled for Ortiz, a transcendent talent and a leader. He won me 100 bucks one night at the park when I called a walk off homer, took a bet on it, and he delivered LOL.

Some may be aware that good ol Shank, at the Globe, has been dissing Ortiz for years and making no secret of it, and he didn't vote for Papi. He's getting roasted in the Globe sports comments section right now and it's glorious.

I was a huge fan of Papi's. The guy had such confidence and it spilled over to the rest of the team. He always seemed to come through. Clutch.
He and Pedro kept me interested in baseball when my interest was waning.
When he sold out his contents of his Weston house a yr and a half ago, the fam went and bought all kinds of things. I'm sitting now in his huge butter-soft red leather
recliner from his man cave. Gorgeous. I was lucky to buy it.

Fantastic news. He was so clutch when it mattered, That homer against the Tigers in the ALCS with the Tiger outfielder crashing into the Bullpen with the Cop cheering is a memory nobody will forget.

I saw this great pic of him in action in 2013 just before he connected....

9811D3CD-F05E-4B5F-8EFA-05642A1FB7A8.png

Last edited:
Fantastic news. He was so clutch when it mattered, That homer against the Tigers in the WS with the Tiger outfielder crashing into the Bullpen with the Cop cheering is a memory nobody will forget.

I saw this great pic of him in action in that World Series just before he connected for that grand slam.
That homer did not happen in the WS (World Series) - it was in the 2013 ALCS (American League Championship Series).

It was the bottom of the 8th over, I think, or whatever they call it in wicked wicket land. :beer:

That homer did not happen in the WS (World Series) - it was in the 2013 ALCS (American League Championship Series).

It was the bottom of the 8th over, I think, or whatever they call it in wicked wicket land. :beer:

Sorry, you're right of course.

One of the comments on the YouTube clip shows why it was so monumental what Ortiz did, because the Tigers had been dominant with their pitching.. The comments are from someone who was there.

I've been going to Sox games since I was too young to understand the game.

I've been to well over 100 games and this was easily the greatest game I've ever gone to. You have to remember the context of this to understand how amazing it was. Tigers pitching had been DOMINATING. In game 1 we had lost with Lester, our best starter on the mound and had gotten only 1 hit while striking out 17 times. Then in this game we didn't manage a hit until the 6th inning and Scherzer had struck out another 13. It was like they were toying with us. The idea of going to Detroit down 0-2 while looking so lifeless against these super-pitchers made game 2 feel like game 6.

The mood in Fenway before this inning started was very dark. So when Ortiz came up with the bases loaded there was certainly hope, but the realist in me felt like it was too much to ask Papi for a slam. It felt greedy. I think I literally just said "Well if he hits it out we are tied but that's wishful thinking. Just have a good at bat. Just get on and chip away." Then the first pitch came in and went out and was actually hit so hard and so low I didn't think it was going out at first. "Oh my god. Oh my god! Oh my god!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!" I had just enough time to say it and then scream it. Perfect and improbable. When hunters legs went up the place just exploded. If you think it's loud in the video, trust me, it doesn't do the noise justice.

It was the only time i have ever witnessed actual hysteria. As in literally what the word means. People went momentarily insane. I jumped up and down and hugged my dad and we both hi five strangers. I remember a woman who spoke no english and a man with one eye. After that winning the game was certain. There was no way they would lose and that win woke them up. best moment in a ball park of my life and I doubt it will ever be topped.

One of the best clutch hitters in MLB history.

I'm hard pressed to think of one better. All the usual suspects struck out as often as they came through. Ortiz' 2004 ALCS run (and 07 and 13 for that matter), was as close to impossible as I've ever seen in baseball. 22/55 (.400) 13 walks, 5 HR, 19 RBI in the 2004 postseason, most of that in the ALCS. .515 OBP and .764 SLG gets you 1.279 OPS. That was just one postseason. 2007 was probably better. Even if you're removed from being a Red Sox fan, that alone gets you in the HoF discussion. In 3 WS appearances, he hit .455/.576./795/1.372. Bonkers.

As many great career moments as Papi had, I think my favorite was his speech after the marathon bombing.

Me, you and Pedro are right there with him to live his moment.

View: https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1486118943530135554

Yeah, Tory Hunter was the OFer (he and Ortiz were great friends, both came up through the Twins organization)

Back