Dirtiest Player in Patriots History

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
This topic came to mind as I watched Mankins play tonight. Say what you want about the guy, but he finishes plays with attitude. I saw him get a handful of 2 level blocks tonight, helping at the point of attack and then slipping out on a LB or DB.

When guys like him and Wilfork get the big bucks, the Pats are sending a message to the other folks in the locker room - "we are going to inflict physical punishment".

His desire to make the other team feel his presence, sometimes by crossing the line, on every play reminds me of Rodney Harrison in his heyday. Ever notice that these kind of players are always smiling? They love the art of violence.

Is Mankins the dirtiest player to ever play for the Pats? Is it Harrison? Merriweather certainly had potential. Seymour certainly had his detractors. How about one of the older guys like Fred Marion? What say you!?

Mankins is as close to be the "dirtiest" player ever to play for the Patriots. Harrison had that baggage come with him, so he doesn't count.

As far as "ever", well, for the most part, our team wasn't known as the "Patsies" for nothing.

Not many dirty players in the history of the team from what I recall. Meriweather comes to mind for some of those cheap hits. No excuse for that guy.

Rodney had the rep, but wasn't a head hunter. One time I saw him lying on the ground and he was shielded from the ref by Marvin Harrison, whom he had just tackled. Harrison gave him a couple of rabbit punches to the kidneys and Harrison screamed about it.

Seymour was a brawler and strong as an ox, but not dirty. He did have one favorite trick that was borderline where he had a knack for knocking the QB down and landing on him with his entire body weight. Legal, but brutal.

Bryan Cox at times.

Hannah would do just what Mankins did to anybody standing around a pile casually. He did that all the time, but I wouldn't call him dirty. Not to his face.

unpossible..................nobody who ever played/playing for the pats is/was dirty :fire:

Wilfork...........
Eye pokes and all FTW

NE has no one who approaches Suh, James Harrison or Cortland Finnegan, if they are the current measuring stick.

I don't know if you classify it as dirty, though the flattening of the guy late in the 4th on the TD recalled was cheap and yeah kinda dirty.

More stupid IMO.

You want to impress me? Do it between the whistles. Not after the play is dead and a guy is not bracing for it at all. That was weak, not tough.

Mankins definitely deserves consideration as the dirtiest player in Patriots histroy. This guy punched an opponent in the nuts after all.

Meriweather made more dirty plays in a shorter period of time though.

Bryan Cox at times.
He was the first guy that popped to mind. Although, I think I give the nod to Mike Vrabel at the end of the day. The guy would shove his fist in your ass and look up at the stands to find your family and smile at them.

He was a bad, bad man.

He was the first guy that popped to mind. Although, I think I give the nod to Mike Vrabel at the end of the day. The guy would shove his fist in your ass and look up at the stands to find your family and smile at them.

He was a bad, bad man.

I miss Mike. :sulk:

BUT his heir apparent played maybe his best game of the season last night! :thumb:

I can't think of anyone dirty in the sense of some of the other nationally recognized types out there.
Typecasting "dirty" players is a relatively recent phenomena anyway. Back before the game was "pussified" by PC weenies, I'd wager there was a great deal more play that was dirty by today's standard. YOu didn't dish out what you couldn't take in those days.

Got a LOL about Vrabel being mentioned.... as there are stories about him grabbing a guys nut bag in a pileup after a fumble.. and squeezing hard.

Rodney had the rep, but wasn't a head hunter. One time I saw him lying on the ground and he was shielded from the ref by Marvin Harrison, whom he had just tackled. Harrison gave him a couple of rabbit punches to the kidneys and Harrison screamed about it.
Let me be the dumb one and ask...which Harrison gave which Harrison a kidney punch?

Vrabel was nasty but he was a more taunting type nasty like 3PS said.

Let me be the dumb one and ask...which Harrison gave which Harrison a kidney punch?

You know whats funny, I envisioned Marvin down there punching Rodney in the kidneys. ROFL

This topic came to mind as I watched Mankins play tonight. Say what you want about the guy, but he finishes plays with attitude. I saw him get a handful of 2 level blocks tonight, helping at the point of attack and then slipping out on a LB or DB.

When guys like him and Wilfork get the big bucks, the Pats are sending a message to the other folks in the locker room - "we are going to inflict physical punishment".

His desire to make the other team feel his presence, sometimes by crossing the line, on every play reminds me of Rodney Harrison in his heyday. Ever notice that these kind of players are always smiling? They love the art of violence.

Is Mankins the dirtiest player to ever play for the Pats? Is it Harrison? Merriweather certainly had potential. Seymour certainly had his detractors. How about one of the older guys like Fred Marion? What say you!?
Fred Marion was the polar opposite of this type of player. He was a classy, skill/finesse type of guy, although he wasn't afraid to stick his nose in there to make a tackle. Ronnie Lippett was much more of a scratch and claw guy than Marion.

I certainly wouldn't call him a dirty player, but the guy who brought the most attitude, and would just as soon leave you as road kill, was Hannah. Great player, but with a real mean streak.

Dirty?.........Meriweather.

Just an add on regarding my previous comments about Vrabes. The entire article is a good read although I did cringe once or twice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/01/25/pile0131/index.html

IKE REESE, Eagles Linebacker

"When we played the Patriots last year [Eagles running back] Brian Westbrook fumbled a punt, and we were all down there scrambling for it. [Patriots linebacker] Mike Vrabel had my testicles in his hand, and he was squeezing them. Where the football ends up depends on who has the strongest will or the strongest hands. Guys reach inside the face mask to gouge your eyes. But the biggest thing is the grabbing of the testicles. It is crazy."

All I know is I would never in my life would like to be in a loose ball pile with Mike Vrabel in the vicinity.

Back