Donte Stallworth

TITAN126

I love the inter-highway
Reaction score
What do you think about the possibility of Stallworth returning to New England? I think he'd be a cheap option if the Pats want to add a downfield threat in the offseason. He turned 30 last November but probably still has a year or two left in the tank. Plus he knows our system.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/donte-stallworth-100-percent-open-to-returning-to-patriots.html

Wide receiver Donte Stallworth had one of the best seasons of his career with the Patriots, and the free agent would love to get another shot to play in New England.

Stallworth, who is coming off a one-year deal with the Ravens, really opened up about the possibility of catching passes from quarterback Tom Brady.

"Oh yeah, definitely, I had the best time in New England," Stallworth said from his home in Miami. "I made a lot of friends in that area, in the organization, on the team. It was a weird feeling coming back there when we played [in Week 6], although I was still injured with my broken foot, but I was able to speak with a lot of people within the organization that I had been in contact with, but finally being able to see them in person for the first time in years.

"I had a chance to speak to [Patriots owner Robert Kraft] and tell him thank you for allowing me to be his team. Obviously, Mr. Kraft is one of the best owners in all of sports. I still have a lot of friends there, still have a lot of friends on the team, still close with some of the coaches there. [Returning to New England] would definitely be an option. I want to be able to put myself in position to be able to show that I can still play football, and I would definitely 100 percent go to New England."

Stallworth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is in Alabama this week for the Senior Bowl, which is attended by front office members of every team in the NFL, and Stallworth is hoping Rosenhaus bumps into someone from the Patriots.

"Hopefully, if he's able to run across someone within the Patriots' organization and make a good conversation, that wouldn't be too bad of an idea," Stallworth said with a laugh.

Stallworth, the 13th overall pick in the 2002 draft, spent his first four seasons with Saints, catching 195 passes for 2,791 yards and 23 touchdowns.

After one season with the Eagles, Stallworth signed a tricky contract with the Patriots in 2007. On the surface, it could have kept Stallworth in New England for six seasons, but due to $11 million in reported bonuses that he would have received in his second season, the Patriots parted ways.

In New England, Stallworth played for the most prolific offense in NFL history, registering 46 receptions (the third most of his eight-season career) for 697 yards and three touchdowns. As much as he enjoyed his time with the Patriots, he understood that his contract was too much for the franchise to bear.

"Honestly, at that point in my career, I had been in the business for awhile," said Stallworth, who turned 30 in November. "Obviously, Randy [Moss] had literally a record-breaking season, and I knew that we had just signed Wes Welker to a pretty lucrative contract -- well deserved, obviously -- and Randy was on a one-year deal as well. I knew they would be bringing Randy back [in 2008]. I knew that my price tag was pretty hefty at the time, and we really didn't make any major negotiations as far as a reduction in salary. It was more of an option that they had to pick up. At that moment, I pretty much knew what was going to happen."

Stallworth played with the Browns in 2008 and was suspended by the NFL for the 2009 season after he pled guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth broke his foot in the 2010 preseason and didn't return until October. He was voted the Ed Block Courage Award winner by his teammates -- the same award that Welker earned this season in New England -- but he only had two receptions all year.

During his peak years, Stallworth was one of the game's elite downfield threats, and he's optimistic that he's got "a lot of years left." If the Patriots try to upgrade their third receiving position this offseason, Stallworth would certainly be a worthy option due to his familiarity with the offense and his past success with Brady.

Stallworth said he just wants the opportunity "to fight for some playing time," and on Wednesday night, he made it clear that he'd be excited to do that with the Patriots.

"You never know how things turn out," Stallworth said. "With me spending one year there and now having the possible opportunity to be able to go back there, I wouldn't mind it at all."

Love the idea. I liked his attitude with the Ravens, he wasn't put to use at all and didn't complain about it... I always saw him supporting the team on the sidelines, jumping up and down etc. He's eager to play, he could be nice in NE.

Love the idea. I liked his attitude with the Ravens, he wasn't put to use at all and didn't complain about it... I always saw him supporting the team on the sidelines, jumping up and down etc. He's eager to play, he could be nice in NE.

Just keep him off the expressway..................

Trade for Marc Mariani. Cheaper. Next Wes Welker. He was Jeff Fisher's sons college roomate in Missoula. This guy is another sleeper. he already is in the pro bowl, but, a Welker clone.

DO IT!!!!

Trade for Marc Mariani. Cheaper. Next Wes Welker. He was Jeff Fisher's sons college roomate in Missoula. This guy is another sleeper. he already is in the pro bowl, but, a Welker clone.

DO IT!!!!
Then we could have 3 Wes Welkers?

With Welker, Woodhead, Branch, Tate, BJGE, Faulk and Mariani, the Patriots could name their offensive scheme; Brady and The 7 Dwarfs.

I too like this move. I met Donte' in training camp during '07 and we talked for a few minutes - seemed like a really sweet, humble guy.

Terrible tragedy what happened with the DUI. I, of course, feel terribly for the victim and his family. But I can also sympathize with Donte' having to carry that terrible burden. One poor decision and one moment in time will haunt him for the rest of his life. I cannot imagine the guilt which must be a constant presence in his life. That's why I strongly disagree with judgements made on him as a person - we don't have the right.

It would be nice to see him be able to gain some degree of success and happiness. I think he'd be a good fit for this team too.

Would do this in a heartbeat if the price is right. I'm still not sold on Tate's ability as a WR, and he seemed to hit a major wall returning kicks after the first month of the season. Still not sure if that guy is just going to end up being the latest version of Bethel Johnson. (I WANT him to come around... just not sure if it'll happen.)

The Patriots do need someone who can stretch the field. The Jets almost completely ignored (meaning, didn't double, so their safeties could press closer) any WRs who ran routes longer than 15 yards in the playoff game. Other teams will catch on to that too.

I like Donte and it was a shame what happened to him before. Personally, I would have kept him over Gaffney. If the price was right and the opportunity presented itself, why not?

DO IT!!!!

OK, let's assume he is another WW.

Which would be better for the team? Another player of the exact same skill set, or another quality player with a different skill set?

If you have two WW's, how do you run plays with both of them on the field?

if you've got two small quick WR's, then a defense can come up with one scheme and use it against both players.

If you get a WR with different skills, then the defense needs a different scheme and probably different personnel to negate your offense.

No, I think that having different style options makes the offense harder to stop.

Which would be better for the team? Another player of the exact same skill set, or another quality player with a different skill set?

if you've got two small quick WR's, then a defense can come up with one scheme and use it against both players.

If you get a WR with different skills, then the defense needs a different scheme and probably different personnel to negate your offense.

No, I think that having different style options makes the offense harder to stop.

I actually think that Mariani is a faster bigger version of WW. So, he is a little different.

With the tight ends and these wr's, you could do a lot of different variations actually. Woodcock also. :coffee:

Get rid of Branch, and use the redshirt this year. :shrug:

Make Tate use the Juggs machine all off season.

I disagree.

Back when we were winning SB's Branch, Patten, and Brown all brought similar skill sets.:shrug:

A quick twitch, shifty WR who creates seperation in the short to mid-range is far more valuable than a guy who runs the go route. Hell, we can just use Hernandez for that.

I think I'll be happy to see Price supplant Tate as the #3. Let Tate get his focus back on kickoff, instead of just being marginal at both assignments.

There are plenty of mediocre players out there. Some that actually havent killed people!

2007_01_bingo_brown.jpg

Back