How about Brandon McGowan?!

Spinal Tap

dicktowel.com
Reaction score
This guy has been a wonderful addition to this defense, and I thought he might deserve his own thread. He's been terrific against the run and the pass, as well as a solid special teams contributer.

I haven't seen James Sanders in weeks, and Patrick Chung is going to have a hard time getting snaps as long as McGowan keeps playing out of his mind.

The tandem of Merriweather and McGowan has been fantastic through these first 6 games.

Thoughts?

He is phenomenal so far. He's all over the field, very quick, hits like a tank, and has a gift for getting to the ball. What a find!

I actually felt he was gonna get cut coming out of camp so colour me very impressed.

With his very physical style of play I just hope he stays healthy.

I LOVE this secondary. Fast, young, agressive hitters. Seems like these kids grew up watching guys like law and Milloy kick ass out there, want to do the same thing...only better.

And to think he came from the U. of Maine!

He's been awesome... WAAAAY beyond a plesant surprise.

I'd re-sign him to a multiyear contract right now. Good special teamer and at the VERY LEAST, a very solid back-up for the next 2 or 3 years.

Great free agent signing... especially if he stays healthy, continues to produce at this level and resigns with us for short money. :thumb:

Seems like Rodney has managed to channel himself into both McGowan and Meriweather. I was worried when we lost him for good, but these guys are living up to the standard he set and with each game they are more and more comfortable with the defensive system.

I like McGowan very much.

HOWEVER...

Sometimes a young safety can look awesome playing on instinct, then when he's asked to do more and be more disciplined/make more reads, he falls off. Sometimes WAY off.

See: Wilson, Eugene.

Did we sign McGowan to a multiyear contract? I hope we did so we don't lose him to free agency after the year is over.

HOWEVER...

Sometimes a young safety can look awesome playing on instinct, then when he's asked to do more and be more disciplined/make more reads, he falls off. Sometimes WAY off.

That's a good point. However, Geno had Rodney to rely on. I think losing Rodney is what killed him. He always looked lost when Rodney went down in 2005, IMO.
These two guys are fairly young'uns and playing well together.

This guy has been a wonderful addition to this defense, and I thought he might deserve his own thread. He's been terrific against the run and the pass, as well as a solid special teams contributer.

I haven't seen James Sanders in weeks, and Patrick Chung is going to have a hard time getting snaps as long as McGowan keeps playing out of his mind.

The tandem of Merriweather and McGowan has been fantastic through these first 6 games.

Thoughts?

I think I mentioned his name more than ANYONE elses watching yesterdays game because of how happily surprised I am at his play.:thumb:

He has been a pleasant surprise. I hope he continues like he is and becomes a TFB diamond in the rough type of player.

HOWEVER...

I'm now convinced Geno was the victim of an alien abduction, at which time he was submitted to an anal probe in which the space bastids ripped out his prostate and continued in and on down south and scooped his nuts right outta his sack!

Don't trust aliens!:coffee:

Back