How does Mac Jones compare with other QB's?

Who has the lowest potential of these quarterbacks drafted since 2018?

• Josh Allen

• Justin Herbert

• Joe Burrow

• Lamar Jackson

• Kyler Murray

• Trevor Lawrence

• Mac Jones

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily Mac will be playing against their defenses and not the QBs.
Mac performed better in his rookie year than Allen & Lawrence did in their rookie years. It's not close.
Allen and LJackson have big cap hits coming soon. That should help.
Allen seems destined to be a great QB.
Burrows and Herbert are headed that way, too.

Mac has enough mentally to be there right there with them in a year or 2.
Imo, Mac will improve a lot.
Imo, he will win more than his share of games against their teams.
Hopefully, but he still has more to prove and it's not a forgone conclusion to me.

AFC Quarterbacks, Their Age & Yrs in League:

• Patrick Mahomes (26) 5
  • Deshaun Watson (26) 5
  • Josh Allen (25) 4
  • Lamar Jackson (25) 4
  • Joe Burrow (25) 2
  • Justin Herbert (23) 2
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23) 2
  • Mac Jones (23) 1
  • Zach Wilson (22) 1
  • Trevor Lawrence (22) 1

The AFC appears set for a while at QB.

Hopefully, but he still has more to prove and it's not a forgone conclusion to me.
And that is fine. He has a bit of growing and learning to do. He has shown to be intelligent, willing to learn and put in the effort.

I am excited to see him grow. That is my hope. In time we will see soon enough.

And that is fine. He has a bit of growing and learning to do. He has shown to be intelligent, willing to learn and put in the effort.

I am excited to see him grow. That is my hope. In time we will see soon enough.
I think this is a realistic view at this point. We have to hope that Bill develops him and the team in a way that's going to allow us to really compete with the likes of the Bills and Chiefs. My biggest fear is we end up one of those, "just good enough teams", good enough to win 9-11 games, get a wild card game or even win one, but end up being completely out match against a real contender. That's the kind limbo that would suck for the next 5 years.

A solid front 7 can make up for a lack of a true CB1 for the most part.

LB, we need guys who can seal the edge and actually stop the run. We got killed with our run defense. We will need (imo) a solid ILB to fill the void of Hightower. Bentley is ok, he isn't great though. We also need another big guy next to Barmore, having two big strong DT's will help us against the run. Not to mention if we can control LOS, guys like Allen would be less apt to take off running.
HT needs to retire. Yesterday.

I think this is a realistic view at this point. We have to hope that Bill develops him and the team in a way that's going to allow us to really compete with the likes of the Bills and Chiefs. My biggest fear is we end up one of those, "just good enough teams", good enough to win 9-11 games, get a wild card game or even win one, but end up being completely out match against a real contender. That's the kind limbo that would suck for the next 5 years.
Think about the life of a QB. You keep mentioning 2 in particular, both option QBs which at anytime can get seriously hurt....yet you seem to not take that into account for the longevity of either QB and insist that nothing will slow them down. The amount of wear and tear to their bodies can end their carreeer prematurely. Just some food for thought....in five years both have been in the league twice as long as Mac....and battered twice as much.

~Dee~

Think about the life of a QB. You keep mentioning 2 in particular, both option QBs which at anytime can get seriously hurt....yet you seem to not take that into account for the longevity of either QB and insist that nothing will slow them down. The amount of wear and tear to their bodies can end their carreeer prematurely. Just some food for thought....in five years both have been in the league twice as long as Mac....and battered twice as much.

~Dee~
No one can predict injuries but the overall point of the discussion is that the AFC appears to be loaded with talented young QB's with at least two proven to be elite talents. Some may not like comparing Mac to them so soon but the reality is that most of those guys are going to be who he and the Pats will be battling with for his career.

That is the trajectory if the offense is not beefed up significantly to contend with the other elite offenses of the AFC. The issue right now though is the defense needs to be completely rebuilt first so just have to be patient.

No one can predict injuries but the overall point of the discussion is that the AFC appears to be loaded with talented young QB's with at least two proven to be elite talents. Some may not like comparing Mac to them so soon but the reality is that most of those guys are going to be who he and the Pats will be battling with for his career.
Any quarterback will be battling with these quarterbacks it part of their job. I fail to see how your pointing out that Jones will be facing these QBs is like its mind blowing revelation to the rest of us. Im old enough to remember the Patriots pre Brady love them then and still love them after. Get over yourself we all know the ups and downs. I feel like your so intent on making these other QBs unbeatable, your not giving the Pats any chance cause god forbid they have success after Brady. Brady will always be the goat....Allen and Manhomes will never be Tom Brady either.

~Dee~

Any quarterback will be battling with these quarterbacks it part of their job. I fail to see how your pointing out that Jones will be facing these QBs is like its mind blowing revelation to the rest of us. Im old enough to remember the Patriots pre Brady love them then and still love them after. Get over yourself we all know the ups and downs. I feel like your so intent on making these other QBs unbeatable, your not giving the Pats any chance cause god forbid they have success after Brady. Brady will always be the goat....Allen and Manhomes will never be Tom Brady either.

~Dee~
Why are you so angry telling people to, "get over themselves"? Are you not mature enough to let people discuss the landscape and obstacles the team now faces? I have sad news for you, in comparison to where the Chiefs and Bills are as well as their Quarterbacks, we are miles away from competing right now. If the 46-17 beating we took doesn't convince you of that then you can just replay last weeks Divisional round, if that doesn't open your eyes then nothing will. If you don't like what or how people are posting, don't follow the thread.

That is the trajectory if the offense is not beefed up significantly to contend with the other elite offenses of the AFC. The issue right now though is the defense needs to be completely rebuilt first so just have to be patient.
I don't agree that the defense needs to be entirely rebuilt, we have some excellent pieces. We need speed a LB, maybe another DT or DE. regardless of what happens with Jackson, Bill's always been able to piece together a decent secondary and scheme it to be good enough. Hell, this past season we had a legit top 10 secondary but it didn't feel that way because the run D was so bad we ended up being susceptible to the play action.

We may be miles apart, I am not sure about that to be honest, but he has only had one year in the league. I am willing to give him time, how much I do not know yet, to see where we go from here where he goes from here. He will surprise some while others no.

Why are you so angry telling people to, "get over themselves"? Are you not mature enough to let people discuss the landscape and obstacles the team now faces? I have sad news for you, in comparison to where the Chiefs and Bills are as well as their Quarterbacks, we are miles away from competing right now. If the 46-17 beating we took doesn't convince you of that then you can just replay last weeks Divisional round, if that doesn't open your eyes then nothing will. If you don't like what or how people are posting, don't follow the thread.
Im not angry lol good god man stop taking yourself so serious... I simply disagree with your opinion simple really I believe we can build a better defense and Im not worried about Macs development just as I wasnt worried about Brady his rookie year or his second or third and so on, its a team sport. I dont share you limited view....

Im sorry but the same goes for if you dont like my posts dont respond to me simple really.

• Patrick Mahomes (26) 5
  • Deshaun Watson (26) 5
  • Josh Allen (25) 4
  • Lamar Jackson (25) 4
  • Joe Burrow (25) 2
  • Justin Herbert (23) 2
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23) 2
  • Mac Jones (23) 1
  • Zach Wilson (22) 1
  • Trevor Lawrence (22) 1

Wilson and Tua should have been included in the poll but then it would steer the thread in a different direction methinks. :coffee:

Tua Tagovailoa is 'wasting my career,' unnamed Dolphins player says according to an article I read. He's stats might have skewed things. But maybe he should have been included like everyone else.

Wilson and Tua should have been included in the poll but then it would steer the thread in a different direction methinks.
I excluded Wilson because he looked so awful at times this season that I can't see favoring his potential over Jones at this point. Tua almost literally cannot throw a football.

I constructed the poll with those particular quarterbacks because I believe each has more potential than Jones at this point. I suspect those who agree with me are abstaining from a vote.

• Patrick Mahomes (26) 5
  • Deshaun Watson (26) 5
  • Josh Allen (25) 4
  • Lamar Jackson (25) 4
  • Joe Burrow (25) 2
  • Justin Herbert (23) 2
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23) 2
  • Mac Jones (23) 1
  • Zach Wilson (22) 1
  • Trevor Lawrence (22) 1

Which is why I think the Patriots have a very steep climb ahead of them. I don't think it's an overreaction to say Josh Allen looks like he has alarmingly elite talent at this point. Allen looks like he can be every bit as good as Mahomes. Watson is that type of quarterback as well but who knows where he'll end up at this point... in Miami would be a disaster for New England. Jackson also is a beast who is not being given his due here. Burrow looks great now with all of the talent around him (in particular Chase) and I put him in that class of quarterback who probably needs that type of stacked roster. Herbert's skill set is probably more impressive that Burrow's but to this point the Patriots have had his number.

We may be miles apart, I am not sure about that to be honest, but he has only had one year in the league. I am willing to give him time, how much I do not know yet, to see where we go from here where he goes from here. He will surprise some while others no.
To me it all depends on if Mac is as, "limited", as some are saying or not, and by limited I mean, not a big enough arm. Anyone that watched the Chiefs-Bills game has to be honest in acknowledging that we simply haven't seen Mac make some of the kinds of throws Mahomes and Allen do routinely. We already know Mac can't move like they can, if in fact his arm isn't capable of keeping up with them, it's not going to matter what kind of talent we bring in.

To me it all depends on if Mac is as, "limited", as some are saying or not, and by limited I mean, not a big enough arm. Anyone that watched the Chiefs-Bills game has to be honest in acknowledging that we simply haven't seen Mac make some of the kinds of throws Mahomes and Allen do routinely. We already know Mac can't move like they can, if in fact his arm isn't capable of keeping up with them, it's not going to matter what kind of talent we bring in.
Can he improve on that, some things yes, some I don't know. Do we need a big arm in today's league? Some think yes, some meh.
I am not going to compare him to others for at the moment this is our quarterback, it is who we have that the coaches need to work with. Can he adjust and come up with ways to make it in this league, I believe so. His former coach and his present coach are very similar in work ethics, planning and thought processing. I am willing to give Mac the chance to show us what he can do. For again, he is our QB, not Allen, Mahommes or all the other ones out there. They don't play for us, he does. We will see, for me anyway, what happens next year and the one after that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back