I don't feel bad.

Why would I lie about it? I'm not going to pretend I was upset he wasn't playing because a Patriot team without Brady is easier to beat than a team with him. But I wasn't happy to see him injured. And I did genuinely feel bad for you guys (planteers) because I know that had to suck and I like most of you. And I feel bad for people I like when shitty things happen to them.

This sums it up for me, right here. I'm not going to condemn Tommy for his opinions on it, but this ^^^^ is the way I feel about Manning...

I'm not happy to see Manning hurt at all but I will be PISSED if the Pats don't capitalize on the fact that he is.

My feelings on this were stated in the other Manning thread. I am saddened that this could be the end.

That said....

The Colts' Vegas Superbowl Odds just droped like a toddler's testicles.

I'm hoping Manning comes back healthy this year.

I hate the never ending amount of commercials he does,
The never ending game of charedes at the LOS he does,
but the quy is one of the best qb's to ever play the game.

And It sickens me to think of ELIte as being the best Manning QB in the league this year :facepalm:

Get Well Soon Peyton :toast:

I would prefer to see the Pats beat the Colts at full strength with Peyton for the same reason that beating a video game on hard is much more satisfying than beating it on easy. Rising to a great challenge is what makes great players, great moments, and great memories. If the challenge is not up to par, the achievement becomes forgettable.

Boxing historians often lament how Tyson never had a great rival to really make his career stand out, to truly test himself and be the best (like Ali/Frazier).

For these same reasons, during the almost perfect season, I was decidedly in the camp where I wanted the Pats to try and be perfect rather than take the approach of resting the starters for the last couple games. Even though that didn't work out (and you could make the argument that allowing the perfect season thing to drop by the wayside and resting up players could have made enough of a difference), I still wouldn't have them do it any differently if given another chance. Winning a SB is the goal, but it's not the grandest achievement possible. Quick, without Googling it, who won the SB in 1983? Ok, how about '72?

The super bowl game is merely a construct which makes the game and the league logistically have a goal and structure, but it's the moments of sweat and glory that are the true rewards of the fan.

This sums it up for me, right here. I'm not going to condemn Tommy for his opinions on it, but this ^^^^ is the way I feel about Manning...
Seconded.

I hate the "OMGZ it sucks for the NFL" thought though.

Also I did take a teeny exception to being told I am not a real Pats fan if I honestly think it sucks when guys get hurt. Come on, Tommy D that was too far IMO.

Quick, without Googling it, who won the SB in 1983? Ok, how about '72?

Raiders.
Dolphins.

How many above .500 teams did the Dolphins have to play during their perfect season?

None.

What are they remembered for? Being Perfect.

What are they NOT remembered for? Earl Morrall had to play a good portion of the season. All the "battles" the Dolphins had with other teams. No one cares. Who did they play in the AFCCG? You don't know. Neither do I. Why is that? Who did they play in the Super Bowl?

Because people only care about who wins.

Seconded.

I hate the "OMGZ it sucks for the NFL" thought though.

Also I did take a teeny exception to being told I am not a real Pats fan if I honestly think it sucks when guys get hurt. Come on, Tommy D that was too far IMO.

Want me to lie? I'll bust out the Fake Classy if you want.

The reason players are paid as much as they are is because there's an excellent chance they're going to get hurt. This is why players hold out for more money. They only have so long until that one hit ends it all for them.

It sucks when Patriot players get hurt. Players of other teams? Meh. I would laugh my ass off if Tomlinson blew out his knee in the first quarter of the first game. I really, really would. I suppose that makes me a bad person. But then again, he's made, what, $60 million over his career, plus endorsements?

I doubt he's going to struggle after his football career. Gee, I'm so sorry about him being sad that he can't play. Oh wait, no I'm not. I'm glad he can't play. It makes the Jets that much easier for my team, the Patriots, to beat.

I would prefer to see the Pats beat the Colts at full strength with Peyton for the same reason that beating a video game on hard is much more satisfying than beating it on easy. Rising to a great challenge is what makes great players, great moments, and great memories. If the challenge is not up to par, the achievement becomes forgettable.

Do you really think Colts fans lament their Super Bowl title because they beat a Patriots team that kicked the schit out of them until the weakness from illness (not to mention indoor temperature controls) took their tool on a depleted defense in the second half? Do these same fans lament the fact they beat the Chicago Bears, one of the biggest joke of a Super Bowl participant in a long, long while? Or, did they go out and rename all their cows and pigs names like Peyton and Reggie and Bob?

Bottom line is... THEY DONT ASK HOW, THEY ASK HOW MANY

For me, the likability of a player factors into this. I'd actually be sad if guys like Matt Ryan, or Drew Brees, or Andre Johnson go down with injury. Guys like Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, or Ben Rapistburger, not so much.

If I had to bet, I'd say Peyton would be fun to have a beer with. But, having said that, it could turn out that's he's a jerk who's tries to teabag every female equipment manager in sight, or someone with no compassion for alcoholics (liquored up kicker), or someone who throws his teammate under the bus every time things don't go his way. Who knows.

Guess I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this one. :coffee:

I respect Tommy's post, actually. It's genuine if anything.

My thoughts...I'm not sure. Certainly I'd like to show some fake class. Pretend like Manning being healthy is better for the league, which it is, but at the end of the day, this is one less competitor to worry about and one game on the Pats schedule that just got easier. That, I like. But, I also would prefer to beat the Colts with Manning. That is very gratifying. Ideally, I'd like to know beforehand that we can beat the Colts with Manning and choose that option, but before the game, secretly wish he's not playing.

I don't know. I don't want a man to be injured, don't want his life to be altered, but the fact that Indy is likely crippled to the extent that they're not a factor in inhibiting us getting back to the Bowl...I like that a lot.

When Brady first went on the IR, I mentioned it to a good friend of mine who is a sweet, sweet girl, very nice, etc.

She also happens to be a die-hard Chargers fan.

She laughed. Laughed out loud. Cheered in my face.

Then, being the sweet girl that she is, she then hugged me and said that she felt bad for me.

That's honestly how I think most, if not all, of the "classy" non-Patriot fans reacted, even those here. They said all the right things, etc...

but I honestly believe that Tommy's right; their reaction was probably very much like my good friend's.

no. I wouldn't. because fake class on a messageboard is stupid. It works for ladainian (and apparently grog), but not me.

Apparently you believe in fake class on a messageboard. It's sort of like fake hustle from a basketball player. It looks like you're doing the right things - when in reality, what you're doing is wasting everyone's time with meaningless actions.

Ftr - i hope mark sanchez stays healthy and plays another 20 years for the jets.

No.

Brady rehabbed a knee injury. Happens all the time in the nfl.

How do you rehab nerve damage, or a fused neck? You're comparing apples to elephants.
:bs::bs::bs:

Thanks for your contribution:

450x365-alg_jets_fireman_ed.jpg

For me it's not about class, fake or not. It's about seeing good football. I don't need the Patriots to win the Super Bowl each year to know when I've gotten my money's worth. It seems to me that for some, it's only about being able to shove it in someone else's face. I love football but I have other things in my life I'm proud of. I don't need the Patriots to hold the Lombardi every year to justify my existence.

I question why anyone would want to win a Super Bowl at the expense of another human being. I question whether someone is a fan of the sport or just a team who doesn't feel whole unless your team can shit on everyone else at that point. Sorry, but that's not what it's about for me. Manning plays great football. The league is less without him. Call it fake if you want but I know whether it's fake or not and I also know that there are others on this board just as "fake" as me.

For me it's not about class, fake or not. It's about seeing good football. I don't need the Patriots to win the Super Bowl each year to know when I've gotten my money's worth. It seems to me that for some, it's only about being able to shove it in someone else's face. I love football but I have other things in my life I'm proud of. I don't need the Patriots to hold the Lombardi every year to justify my existence.

I question why anyone would want to win a Super Bowl at the expense of another human being. I question whether someone is a fan of the sport or just a team who doesn't feel whole unless your team can shit on everyone else at that point. Sorry, but that's not what it's about for me. Manning plays great football. The league is less without him. Call it fake if you want but I know whether it's fake or not and I also know that there are others on this board just as "fake" as me.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I don't know if it's so much shitting on everyone else rather than uncertainty. I think that you and I would look at it the same way. Here's what I think we agree on:

1. We both want the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.
2. It is more likely that the Pats will (a) beat Indianapolis; and (b) have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl if Peyton Manning does not play.
3. We both would prefer that the Pats won the Super Bowl and beat the Colts while Peyton Manning was playing.

The reason for (3) is because like you said, the league is less without him and beating him feels good because he's a good player. But, I think that given the choice of losing to him or winning without him, I choose the latter.

I don't want the man to be hurt. Frankly, I don't want him to not play on a personal level because I know the work that goes into doing what he does and I don't want anyone to suffer that way. But I'm also a guy who can separate hating a player between the lines and respecting him off the field. If I met Peyton Manning in a bar, I wouldn't cuss him out or act like a dick. I'd probably sit down and have a beer with him and listen to what he has to say, because I respect him. Not sure other fans think that way.

Back