I don't feel bad.

TommyD420

Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.
Reaction score
Peyton Manning's season and in all likelihood his career is over.

Good.

Why do I say that? Because it makes the Patriots' job that much easier.

Why should I feel bad? Manning has made tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars for playing a game. He's got a wife and kids - none of whom would be wont for anything if he retired today.

If he retires today, he will still have a high quality of life. If he doesn't, that's his own stupidity.

I refuse to feel bad for a multi-millionaire who doesn't play on the team that I support.

I appreciate that there are Colts fans here, and I imagine you feel bad.

But I don't. And I'm not going to. Manning doesn't "make the league better". He makes the Colts better. If the Colts backslide with the Collins/Painter combo, that's just one less team the Patriots have to worry about.

Is this cheering an injury? Probably. Does this make me a bad person? Maybe. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I have all this "respect" for a guy that I've wished misfortune on for the better part of 20 years. I even rooted for FLORIDA against Manning. FLORIDA!

I know.

So, whatever. Other teams' bulletin boards can be filled with "Bernard Pollard Appreciation Threads" after Brady goes down; but when Manning's career is threatened - due to his or the team's, or both's incompetence or arrogance, btw - we are all supposed to sit around and kiss his ass and talk about how awesome he made the game.

Sorry. No sale.

The media's love affair with Peyton Manning started in Tennessee, and we have had to listen to it, almost daily, for 16 years. We get it. He's a good quarterback. That fact alone doesn't make Archie any more than a JAG QB (he was), and it doesn't make Eli smart (he's not). It doesn't make Manning the GOAT. He was awarded the SB MVP, despite both RBs deserving the award - but he's won, what, 12 Pro Bowl MVPs? Media hype is not the same thing as performance on the field.

And here's my takeaway on Manning's career.

He was a good QB, who ran a gimmicky offense, giving him more opportunities to succeed. But when the moments got bigger, Manning played smaller. That's not GOAT-level. He also holds zero major passing records. Close, but no cigar. He's one of the better QBs of the 2000s. That's the only credit he's getting from me.

So, I'm not going to let ESPN or NFL Network or Coltsfreaks.com or Jim Irsay or any Colts fan here tell me how to feel about Peyton Manning.

I'm glad he's hurt, and I hope his career is over. I'm not one for "fake-Tomlinson-classy". If you are, good for you - but this is a Patriots Fan Messageboard. We're not "better" than any other fans - and to be honest, the reaction here (and other places) has been so tame that it's embarrassing.

"We love you, Peyton! Miss you! Get Well Soon!"

**** that. I don't wish him in a wheelchair, or for his quality of life to be affected in any meaningful way. That's just basic human decency. But to pretend that "it's better when he's playing"? No way. It's better when he's not playing.

A) I don't have to hear about him.
B) I don't have to worry about him padding wins and stats in that crap division.
C) The Patriots' road to the Super Bowl just got THAT much easier.

The only drawback is that McCourty's INT numbers will probably go down. (tm MissoulaDirk)

So, glad he's hurt, hope he never plays again. If that makes me a bad person, it makes me a bad person - but it's NOTHING compared to the Bernard Pollard Appreciation Threads. Not even close.

I really hope he's back by week 13
TV RATINGS

All I can say is, well, I can't think of anything to say. I know if we didn't have TFB all these years, I would have been thrilled to have PFM. He was great and you kid yourself if you don't think so. I'm a Patriot fan through and through and I'll tell you TommyD420, your post is your own opinion, and not the opinion of the majority of football fans, including I dare say, the majority of Patriot fans. Class minus less.

If the report's are read are true, I'm hoping they put him on IR for the season to make sure he comes back.

That way Tommy ends up with a wicked case of blue balls.

Now that's funny!

But this isn't.

injuryexpert Will Carroll by DraftableXnOs

2-3 month recovery time is unbelievably aggressive for procedure. Most would just be out of collar at that point.

37 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»
FANCOVER_normal.jpg

injuryexpert Will Carroll by DraftableXnOs

Manning had a single level anterior fusion. If he was a fighter pilot, he wouldn't be allowed back in the plane.

We don't even know for saure if his SEASON is over, much less his CAREER!!!!

I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

If he ends up ever coming back - he's going to be wearing a high-quality neck brace. Should be even better than Grogan's.

I mean, can't you read between the lines? A week ago, Polian was swearing he was going to start Week 1. They took him off PUP for this. Now he's out "2-3 Months". They probably won't IR him because the Colts organization truly believes there is only one worthwhile guy on the roster.

If he comes back this season? THAT is when I'll pray for his family - because it would be beyond stupid to do so.

Smart move? Cash in your chips, go home, ride off into the sunset.
Dumb Move? Come back this year, get yourself hurt even worse on a seemingly innocuous play. Possibly end up in a wheelchair.

Then again, maybe he wants to end up in a wheelchair? Maybe he wants the attention that much? I'd hate to think that, but...

All I can say is, well, I can't think of anything to say. I know if we didn't have TFB all these years, I would have been thrilled to have PFM. He was great and you kid yourself if you don't think so. I'm a Patriot fan through and through and I'll tell you TommyD420, your post is your own opinion, and not the opinion of the majority of football fans, including I dare say, the majority of Patriot fans. Class minus less.

I was waiting for the "Display Fake Class on a Messageboard" Police to show up.

I'm going to have to put you on hold. You're going to want to talk to this guy:

24dfww7.jpg

Good.

Why should I feel bad? Manning has made tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars for playing a game. He's got a wife and kids - none of whom would be wont for anything if he retired today.

If he retires today, he will still have a high quality of life. If he doesn't, that's his own stupidity.

I refuse to feel bad for a multi-millionaire who doesn't play on the team that I support.

But I don't. And I'm not going to. Manning doesn't "make the league better". He makes the Colts better. If the Colts backslide with the Collins/Painter combo, that's just one less team the Patriots have to worry about.

Is this cheering an injury? Probably. Does this make me a bad person? Maybe. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I have all this "respect" for a guy that I've wished misfortune on for the better part of 20 years. I even rooted for FLORIDA against Manning. FLORIDA!

I know.

So, whatever. Other teams' bulletin boards can be filled with "Bernard Pollard Appreciation Threads" after Brady goes down; but when Manning's career is threatened - due to his or the team's, or both's incompetence or arrogance, btw - we are all supposed to sit around and kiss his ass and talk about how awesome he made the game.

Sorry. No sale.

The media's love affair with Peyton Manning started in Tennessee, and we have had to listen to it, almost daily, for 16 years. We get it. He's a good quarterback. That fact alone doesn't make Archie any more than a JAG QB (he was), and it doesn't make Eli smart (he's not). It doesn't make Manning the GOAT. He was awarded the SB MVP, despite both RBs deserving the award - but he's won, what, 12 Pro Bowl MVPs? Media hype is not the same thing as performance on the field.

He was a good QB, who ran a gimmicky offense, giving him more opportunities to succeed. But when the moments got bigger, Manning played smaller. That's not GOAT-level. He also holds zero major passing records. Close, but no cigar. He's one of the better QBs of the 2000s. That's the only credit he's getting from me.

So, I'm not going to let ESPN or NFL Network or Coltsfreaks.com or Jim Irsay or any Colts fan here tell me how to feel about Peyton Manning.

I'm glad he's hurt, and I hope his career is over. I'm not one for "fake-Tomlinson-classy". If you are, good for you - but this is a Patriots Fan Messageboard. We're not "better" than any other fans - and to be honest, the reaction here (and other places) has been so tame that it's embarrassing.

**** that. I don't wish him in a wheelchair, or for his quality of life to be affected in any meaningful way. That's just basic human decency. But to pretend that "it's better when he's playing"? No way. It's better when he's not playing.

B) I don't have to worry about him padding wins and stats in that crap division.

The only drawback is that McCourty's INT numbers will probably go down. (tm MissoulaDirk)

So, glad he's hurt, hope he never plays again. If that makes me a bad person, it makes me a bad person - but it's NOTHING compared to the Bernard Pollard Appreciation Threads. Not even close.

Ok. :coffee:

Good.

I know.

Sorry. No sale.

No, but you're not supposed to be a total douche bag about it. If it was Brady who was out and a Colt's fan said what you just did you'd be ranting & raving about the Colt's fan having no class.

If he ends up ever coming back - he's going to be wearing a high-quality neck brace. Should be even better than Grogan's.

I mean, can't you read between the lines? A week ago, Polian was swearing he was going to start Week 1. They took him off PUP for this. Now he's out "2-3 Months". They probably won't IR him because the Colts organization truly believes there is only one worthwhile guy on the roster.

If he comes back this season? THAT is when I'll pray for his family - because it would be beyond stupid to do so.

Smart move? Cash in your chips, go home, ride off into the sunset.
Dumb Move? Come back this year, get yourself hurt even worse on a seemingly innocuous play. Possibly end up in a wheelchair.

Then again, maybe he wants to end up in a wheelchair? Maybe he wants the attention that much? I'd hate to think that, but...

So his options are come back this year or retire?

It never occured to you that, like Brady, he could come back next year and be his old self again?

Brady wasn't "his old self" in 09 IMO. Not until 10.
I would guess that if/when PM comes back that his return would be unprecedented for any QB as far as that type of injury.

No, but you're not supposed to be a total douche bag about it. If it was Brady who was out and a Colt's fan said what you just did you'd be ranting & raving about the Colt's fan having no class.
No. I wouldn't. Because fake class on a messageboard is stupid. It works for LaDainian (and apparently grog), but not me.

Apparently you believe in Fake Class on a Messageboard. It's sort of like Fake Hustle from a basketball player. It looks like you're doing the right things - when in reality, what you're doing is wasting everyone's time with meaningless actions.

FTR - I hope Mark Sanchez stays healthy and plays another 20 years for the Jets.

So his options are come back this year or retire?

It never occured to you that, like Brady, he could come back next year and be his old self again?

No.

Brady rehabbed a knee injury. Happens all the time in the NFL.

How do you rehab nerve damage, or a fused neck? You're comparing apples to elephants.

No. I wouldn't. Because fake class on a messageboard is stupid. It works for LaDainian (and apparently grog), but not me.

Apparently you believe in Fake Class on a Messageboard. It's sort of like Fake Hustle from a basketball player. It looks like you're doing the right things - when in reality, what you're doing is wasting everyone's time with meaningless actions.

No. Some of us have actual class. And it's real. Just because it's typed, doesn't mean it's fake.

Back