Jamie Collins-type deal could ?absolutely? happen to Brady

Of course. But my point was there were serious mitigating circumstances as to why they did not finish out their careers on their respective teams. Montana was injured and Young stepped in and played well and then Montana demanded to be traded to the Chiefs and Favre played the retirement card/unretirement card too many times.

None of which would have happened if there wasn't a franchise QB waiting in the wings.

None of which would have happened if there wasn't a franchise QB waiting in the wings.

Yes but you are still missing the point. The Pats have taken QBs high, second round and third round the last several years with Jimmy being the heir apparent. But Brady has been performing so well that when Jimmy got his chance to show his stuff, Bill immediately said prior to game one that Brady would be his starter in game five. In other words, Brady is still the guy until he is not playing like the best QB in the league. That was not the case with either Montana or Favre. Montana was injured and declining and Favre was also in decline save for his one last cinderella run with Minny which of course ended with his pick in the post-season.

So in other words, Brady is playing better than any other potential franchise QB the Pats could have on their roster.

You could fill an all-time roster with guys the Patriots have sent packing, from Lawyer Milloy to Adam Vinatieri to Vince Wilfork and many more in between.

So Vinatieri and Wilfork signing free agent contracts elsewhere is "sending them packing"?

:huh:

I'm not disputing they haven't "sent people packing" before, but why pick those two when one could have mentioned Seymour, Mankins, Moss, Vrabel, etc.

Just makes it seem like you don't really know what the team has and hasn't done with their personnel.

Yeah, Farve didn't even play the majority of this career with his original team...

SSDD

The Falcons?

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

So Vinatieri and Wilfork signing free agent contracts elsewhere is "sending them packing"?

I'm not disputing they haven't "sent people packing" before, but why pick those two when one could have mentioned Seymour, Mankins, Moss, Vrabel, etc.

Just makes it seem like you don't really know what the team has and hasn't done with their personnel.

You must mean the author of the article... :coffee:

I agree with virtually all comments made up to this point. The greats in question would not have been traded unless someone with perceived greater value (long term) was available as an alternative. The trades in question would also likely not have happened were it not evident that there was at least a significant possibility that the alternative provided greater value in the short term, as the aforementioned mitigating factors presented themselves.

Conversely, Brady is not just the GOAT, he is unequivocally the best QB playing in the NFL RIGHT NOW, and he has the stats to prove it. Until he is not actively the best QB available to ANY team, much less demonstrably superior to the alternatives present to the Patriots, I don't see how this is something that Pats fans need to fear coming to pass. That Brady actively sees the need to fight every day for his job after all of his accomplishments just shows why he is as great as he is. He will NEVER rest on his laurels because he knows the only way he avoids such an ignoble end is to simply continue to be the best playing until he's 60, has grandkids, and Gisele finally talks him into retiring.

...what, you don't see it ending in quite that way? C'mon, a man can dream :shrug_n:

You're right, but to be completely fair, the Patriots never offered Vinatieri a contract.

They did for Wilfork, and he took the better one Houston offered.

I don't see BB trading or letting TB walk. I also don't see RK allowing that to happen.

I think Brady plays his career here and as someone else said I also think Brady has some sort of handshake deal with Kraft.

Brady will quit the game when he knows he can no longer play to his high level and he's realistic enough to know when that is. I don't think he's going to any other team. I just don't see it.

There were extenuating circumstances with Favre and Montana. Both were unhappy being pushed by backups and both became disgruntled and created tension. Rodgers and Young were both ready to move on if they weren't named the starters. Manning was injured and due something like a $27M payment so of course the smart thing to do was for Irsay to let him go.

I don't see BB trading or letting TB walk. I also don't see RK allowing that to happen.

I think Brady plays his career here and as someone else said I also think Brady has some sort of handshake deal with Kraft.

Brady will quit the game when he knows he can no longer play to his high level and he's realistic enough to know when that is. I don't think he's going to any other team. I just don't see it.

There were extenuating circumstances with Favre and Montana. Both were unhappy being pushed by backups and both became disgruntled and created tension. Rodgers and Young were both ready to move on if they weren't named the starters. Manning was injured and due something like a $27M payment so of course the smart thing to do was for Irsay to let him go.

I think the most likely scenario is that Brady and Bill discuss the situation when his plays starts leveling off due to age, which is going to happen at some point. And they'll have a threshold mapped out for when it has to end. Brady will not end up, say, playing in San Francisco for a year or two to prove anything. He'll know when it's time and will want to go out on mutual terms and all the right stuff will be said. Tom, in his heart of hearts, is a dutiful son who doesn't want to embarrass his parents so that the neighbors will talk.

He's proven what needed to be proven a hundred times over and doesn't need the money or his ego to be stroked anymore. He's not going to try to prove that he is immortal and end up wishing he'd walked away like so many before him have, but he is committed to discovering how far he can push his body and still produce at an elite level. Which is different than delusion.

I think the most likely scenario is that Brady and Bill discuss the situation when his plays starts leveling off due to age, which is going to happen at some point. And they'll have a threshold mapped out for when it has to end. Brady will not end up, say, playing in San Francisco for a year or two to prove anything. He'll know when it's time and will want to go out on mutual terms and all the right stuff will be said. Tom, in his heart of hearts, is a dutiful son who doesn't want to embarrass his parents so that the neighbors will talk.

He's proven what needed to be proven a hundred times over and doesn't need the money or his ego to be stroked anymore. He's not going to try to prove that he is immortal and end up wishing he'd walked away like so many before him have, but he is committed to discovering how far he can push his body and still produce at an elite level. Which is different than delusion.

Agree, even if there's a chance Bill is no longer coaching at the point Tom's play starts declining.

Not really true. There were injury concerns regarding Montana given his bad back/elbow and he demanded to be traded to the Chiefs. With Favre he strung them along threatening to retire season after season. Brady has been the ultimate pro taking pay cuts to help the team and improving his game and fitness as he has gotten older.
are you Middy's sister? your Brady defense league is strong!! :coffee:

If the Pats trade Brady, I'll be a Bills fan. Jesus.
ok enough of the BS, just admit it and move on sparky.

Yes, this... sort of like Tedy.

are you Middy's sister? your Brady defense league is strong!! :coffee:

ok enough of the BS, just admit it and move on sparky.

:shrug_n: It is a Brady thread. What I have stated is true. I was not so much defended him as there is nothing to defend in the post I was responding to just pointing out the differences between Montana and Favre's situations that led to them being replaced vs how Brady's career has progressed to date.

I think his point was that GB moved Favre out because they had Rodgers waiting in the wings, and SF moved Montana because they had Young. Brady doesn't have someone like that motivating NE to hurry him out the door.

I realized that after the fact.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Exactly my point. Thank you.

See above. My apologies.

I still believe TFB has a handshake deal to be coach, GM or something of that nature when HE decides to hang 'em up.

I still believe TFB has a handshake deal to be coach, GM or something of that nature when HE decides to hang 'em up.

Christ, man!!!! What are you thinking???!!! If Goodell and the Keystone Cops get a hold of this post, the Pats won't have a first round pick for the next eleventy billion years!!!!

I think Brady is basically one of the very few exceptions. The only way he gets traded is if he insists on playing well past the point where BB has told him it's time to move on.

I feel like BB will give him every opportunity to finish his career a Patriot, as long as he doesn't try to extend his career beyond what would be reasonable for the interest of the team.

Back