JJ Watt Hints at Early Retirement

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
It is stories like these that has to have the NFL on high alert. Watt had talked quite a bit about how last season took a toll on his body as he played through various injuries. Now he is talking about retiring early similar to what Calvin Johnson did to save his body.

I really think these early retirements are going to become more the norm as guys look to get out while they are still young and save their bodies and mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/j-j-watt-may-not-have-many-more-seasons-left-in-him/

To add a cynical view of this, it's easy for Watt to walk away because he'll have banked big money with long term endorsements and many opportunities afterwards. The majority of players will need to keep playing as long as possible before facing an uncertain financial future with a lot of years still left to live.

To add a cynical view of this, it's easy for Watt to walk away because he'll have banked big money with long term endorsements and many opportunities afterwards. The majority of players will need to keep playing as long as possible before facing an uncertain financial future with a lot of years still left to live.

True but by the same token, Watt is a super star and the NFL markets its super stars better than any league. If the guys who have bank rolled a lot by their second contract continue to leave then the sport will be left to the likes of the Ryan Fitzpatrick's to carry the game more and more ...

True but by the same token, Watt is a super star and the NFL markets its super stars better than any league. If the guys who have bank rolled a lot by their second contract continue to leave then the sport will be left to the likes of the Ryan Fitzpatrick's to carry the game more and more ...

Or, you know, the Tom Brady's. Guys that have actually won something. Wear championship tees instead of glory jackets. And desire to play til 45.

Or, you know, the Tom Brady's. Guys that have actually won something. Wear championship tees instead of glory jackets. And desire to play til 45.

I understand your sentiment and agree that the lettermen jackets were one of the funniest things done by an NFL team.

That being said, I think the issue of injury and wanting to retire while one still has their health, probably doesn't apply to QB's the same way it does to other players.

Generally speaking, a QB gets hit a whole lot less than the other players on the field so their risk for having lasting effects from playing football is reduced.

I don't think there have been any 40 year old football players that weren't kickers or QB's, and both those positions see a lot less contact than the other positions.

That isn't to say QB's never get hit, or suffer serious injuries, just that the guys who play other positions get hit a whole lot more.

The gap that will be left in the NFL when Brady retires will be akin to Jordan in basketball. There will be others to rise up and take the mantle but none that will come close to matching his competitiveness, commitment to excellence and winning. We got a glimpse of the future with Cam refusing to jump on his own fumble in the super bowl.

The gap that will be left in the NFL when Brady retires will be akin to Jordan in basketball. There will be others to rise up and take the mantle but none that will come close to matching his competitiveness, commitment to excellence and winning. We got a glimpse of the future with Cam refusing to jump on his own fumble in the super bowl.

But, but, Brady can't be that important to the NFL if Goodell is trying to take him down!:sulk:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The sad part is that you actually believe it. Wow!

It's one thing when the post message is stupid.

When you're so bad you can fvck up the format to boot you should spend a week in the AA as penance.

Isn't he a Brown fan? I guess I can understand the bitterness and butthurt...being that your team had the GOAT in BB, and your dipshit owner decides to throw him under the bus...while leaving your town.

I guess a low rent district address in the Factory of Sadness will do that to a person.

I almost feel pity for him.

Almost.

Then I just laugh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The sad part is that you actually believe it. Wow!

That 4th ring and 3rd SB MVP that cemented Brady as the GOAT and the Pats as the greatest football dynasty really has you butt hurt, huh?

Isn't he a Brown fan? I guess I can understand the bitterness and butthurt...being that your team had the GOAT in BB, and your dipshit owner decides to throw him under the bus...while leaving your town.

Wait - what? This guy is a fan of the brownstains?

Can't even imagine having BB as your coach, laughing (with 3.4 x 10 raised to the 17th power HA's) as BB leaves town, crying as his "team" leaves town and then checking back into the NFL after a long absence only to find that BB has masterminded the single greatest dynasty in NFL history.

So sad.

I guess he hasn't had adequate coverage this off season so he needs to do something to get back in the limelight. a big ass F JJ WATT!!!!!!!!!!

No. He is a Colts fan. Here are some of his posts from Colts.com where he references his posting at Patriots Planet and how he reports back to the mother ship at what is being posted here. Dolts fans are by FAR the saddest of all.

Back