Kraft torpedoed Bill for the Falcons job

Interesting and thoughtful point of view even if I don't 100% agree. age and the short window of time definitely have to be considered . the complete philosophical overhaul I am not positive is a given but maybe more of a supposition based on bb's past. I would be inclined to believe bill when he says he didn't want total control and he would work with certain executives. Bill may be a lot of things and have his flaws but he 100% loves the game and I don't think he would ever cheat the game by bullshitting the owner.
I am not saying that a philosophical overhaul is a given (or that Bill would force for one) but I understand the fear/anxiety surrounding the possibility of it. BB will be at his next job for about 10% of the time he was in New England. Just thinking about the fact I'd be replacing coaching regimes again in less than 5 years would have me running for the Pepto Bismol.

Last edited:
We knew Blank wanted Bill and the 1st interview went very well and left Blank impressed. That was reported by Atlanta reporters. I also agree fully with the other factors as a
legitimate consideration - age& short window. I agree with HS above that Bill already rejected the "full control" aspect of it.

The important point of the article that is critical for me is knowing that Kraft did what he could to kill Bill's chances to get the job, including attacking Bill's character.
That, in my mind, is a low blow and might even be an act that borders on being libelous for being deliberately misleading based on Kraft's opinion.

We knew Blank wanted Bill and the 1st interview went very well and left Blank impressed. That was reported by Atlanta reporters. I also agree fully with the other factors as a
legitimate consideration - age& short window. I agree with HS above that Bill already rejected the "full control" aspect of it.

The important point of the article that is critical for me is knowing that Kraft did what he could to kill Bill's chances to get the job, including attacking Bill's character.
That, in my mind, is a low blow and might even be an act that borders on being libelous for being deliberately misleading based on Kraft's opinion.

According to an unnamed source. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I must have been out sick the day BSPN got their credibility back around here.

According to an unnamed source. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I must have been out sick the day BSPN got their credibility back around here.
For me it's not necessarily about ESPN's comments. it's more about seeing how things have gone and watching how that dynasty documentary handled things and how kraft handles things with Mayo rather than just believing sources in the story. the ESPN piece is more reinforcing what I've seen and heard publicly.

I have been pretty "Team Bill" since this all went down. But honestly, this article cites many more points that I may have led to why Bill remained jobless than any alleged disparaging remarks Kraft may have made. For example:
Bill's Age
Short Window
Complete philosophical overall of team culture
Would he play nice with GM/personnel execs?

Realistically, any sitting GM has to look at Bill Belichick as a potential threat to their own existence. I'd be shocked if those GM's weren't immediately shooting down the notion of a BB hire from the moment it was ever proposed.

Kraft fired Bill. Of course any owner would consult with Kraft but I can't imagine anything that was said that could be perceived as a negative would have dissuaded a big softy like Blank. I truly believe it was his own generals that killed it.

Interesting and thoughtful point of view even if I don't 100% agree. age and the short window of time definitely have to be considered . the complete philosophical overhaul I am not positive is a given but maybe more of a supposition based on bb's past. I would be inclined to believe bill when he says he didn't want total control and he would work with certain executives. Bill may be a lot of things and have his flaws but he 100% loves the game and I don't think he would ever cheat the game by bullshitting the owner.

I am impressed with both of these posts. 3PS for the solid counter-point even though I disagree and even moreso for eliciting HS's response which I do agree with AND the fact that you drew out the partial use of the shift key on HS's keyboard. Wonders will never cease. :coffee:

I have been pretty "Team Bill" since this all went down. But honestly, this article cites many more points that I may have led to why Bill remained jobless than any alleged disparaging remarks Kraft may have made. For example:
Bill's Age
Short Window
Complete philosophical overall of team culture
Would he play nice with GM/personnel execs?
Don't forget the last 2 years that he put on tape culminating with a 4-13 record on his way out ....
Kraft fired Bill. Of course any owner would consult with Kraft but I can't imagine anything that was said that could be perceived as a negative would have dissuaded a big softy like Blank. I truly believe it was his own generals that killed it.
I agree.

Don't forget the last 2 years that he put on tape culminating with a 4-13 record on his way out ....

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Kraft had given the ok to trade Mac Jones, not just once but two consecutive years. And, of course, now he's gone for
pennies on the dollar. Now we all know what Bill knew then - he wasn't the guy for the long term. What could a Baker Mayfield have done for the team?

Last edited:
From what I have read, Kraft had $25,000,000 reasons to help BB get another HC job.
And we all know that Kraft is cheap.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Kraft had given the ok to trade Mac Jones, not just once but two consecutive years. And, of course, now he's gone for
pennies on the dollar. Now we all know what Bill knew then - he wasn't the guy for the long term. What could a Baker Mayfield have done for the team?
There is no way any owner would let Bill trade Mac after his rookie season when he almost won ROY. It was up to Bill to continue to develop him and he gave him Matt Patricia and a pathetic offense void of any real talent at the skill spots. That's on Bill and Bill alone.

There is no way any owner would let Bill trade Mac after his rookie season when he almost won ROY. It was up to Bill to continue to develop him and he gave him Matt Patricia and a pathetic offense void of any real talent at the skill spots. That's on Bill and Bill alone.

Especially a meddling owner. Btw, go watch his last 5 games in that first year. His shortcomings were readily apparent. Bill knew; Kraft should have listened.

Last edited:
I am impressed with both of these posts. 3PS for the solid counter-point even though I disagree and even moreso for eliciting HS's response which I do agree with AND the fact that you drew out the partial use of the shift key on HS's keyboard. Wonders will never cease. :coffee:
First of all, I hate posting from my phone.

Second of all... that's it.

From what I have read, Kraft had $25,000,000 reasons to help BB get another HC job.
And we all know that Kraft is cheap.
Kraft has billions and billions of $$$ and only one ego. Apparently being the good guy, or at least coming out on top in the matter of public opinion, is pretty important to him.

heard a take on the radio - and not endorsing or criticizing it, just passing it along - that Kraft and Blank are close friends and when Blank asked Kraft for his opinion on it Kraft just told him how he felt. Apparently (the hosts said, one a former player) that Atlanta has a more "family" atmosphere and that BB would for sure shake that crap out and make it a hard core Business of winning. Blank wasn't up for disrupting what he had built (which is mediocrity, but I'm just relaying what was said on the show)
Blank may think that his rookie head coach and Kirk Cousins can do what Demeco Ryans and CJ Stroud did in Houston.

Back