Krapernick a Donko (or not)

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos have a trade in place for Colin Kaepernick.

The deal is expected to be for a mid-round pick. The Broncos and 49ers have agreed on compensation, but Kaepernick's contract remains a holdup. Denver wants Kaepernick to take a $5 million pay cut, and the sides reportedly aren't close on a restructure. Kaepernick should eventually end up in Denver, but it's likely going to take an incentives-based deal.

Report: 49ers, Broncos have Kaepernick trade parameters in place

Posted by Zac Jackson on April 2, 2016, 6:15 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg3mjm1yzmwmzq1njmzn2m1mdm1yzeyzjg0yze0zgez1-e1444917766321.jpeg
APThe 49ers and Broncos have the parameters in place for a Colin Kaepernick trade, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Saturday, but Kapernick needs to agree to a pay cut for a deal to be completed.
Schefter also reported that if a deal is finalized, the Broncos would then trade a mid-round pick to the 49ers.
The Broncos have been in the quarterback market since losing Brock Osweiler to the Texans on the first day of free agency, but due to salary cap issues they want Kaepernick to take a pay cut. There’s no guarantee that Kaepernick will accept a new deal at a lower number; his 2016 salary of $11.9 million became fully guaranteed on April 1.
Kaepernick and Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway met last Thursday for the second time, a meeting that presumably was about Kaepernick agreeing to a pay cut to facilitate the trade.

I don't care how much the league and the sport evolves offensively, it is CARVED INTO THE MOUNTAINSIDE that QB's can be fine runners, and Kaepernick is, but if you can't throw accurately and complete passes when you need to then you can't be a successful QB in the NFL.

Kaepernick is going to regret not going for the incentives deal, if that is really the way this thing went south.

He was the flavor of the month for a short time and then bombed out when D's adjusted to him. He's the latest in a long line of great athletes who couldn't master the difficult art of carving up NFL defenses with your arm and your brain.

.....and the Broncos are not only not close to having a chance to repeating as SB champs, they aren't close -- at this point -- to even being competitive.

I'm not shocked kapernick wasn't going to take a pay cut. His deal this year is fully guaranteed.

Exactly. $11.9M guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at and neither is $5M. Elway's offer of a $400K workout bonus is laughable compared to $5M.

Not only that, Florio says the trade compensation SF would get in return isn't set either. Naturally SF would want more than a mid-round pick if Kaep were to agree to a reduced salary.

Elway will have to get devilishly creative for the Broncos to skirt the cap problem. Is Kaepernick even worth it? He lost his job to Blaine Gabbert!

edit: But I hope Elway finds a way. :coffee:

Exactly. $11.9M guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at and neither is $5M. Elway's offer of a $400K workout bonus is laughable compared to $5M.

Not only that, Florio says the trade compensation SF would get in return isn't set either. Naturally SF would want more than a mid-round pick if Kaep were to agree to a reduced salary.

Elway will have to get devilishly creative for the Broncos to skirt the cap problem. Is Kaepernick even worth it? He lost his job to Blaine Gabbert!

edit: But I hope Elway finds a way. :coffee:

Well if anyone can work around the cap, its the bronco's.:coffee:

The Broncos and working around the salary cap go together like peanut butter and jelly.

He'd be nuts to give up the $12M guaranteed. Some chump will give him $5-6 M next year.

Back to football.. Denver could be the resurrection of Kaepernick. He doesn't need to put the team on his shoulders, he doesn't have to be a great passer, and Kubiak will love having a QB with some legs. It wasn't all that long ago he was being put in the same bracket as Newton/Wilson/Luck etc. as the new generation of QBs who would be the elites of the near future.

He wouldn't be the first flash in the pan QB but I do think he's got the raw materials to work with in terms of moulding a QB good enough to start in the NFL. Sounds like towards the end of the Harbaugh era and after everything went to the shitter in SF, a change of scenery might just be what the Dr ordered.

Back to football.. Denver could be the resurrection of Kaepernick. He doesn't need to put the team on his shoulders, he doesn't have to be a great passer, and Kubiak will love having a QB with some legs. It wasn't all that long ago he was being put in the same bracket as Newton/Wilson/Luck etc. as the new generation of QBs who would be the elites of the near future.

He wouldn't be the first flash in the pan QB but I do think he's got the raw materials to work with in terms of moulding a QB good enough to start in the NFL. Sounds like towards the end of the Harbaugh era and after everything went to the shitter in SF, a change of scenery might just be what the Dr ordered.

Kaep was also benched for Blain Gabbert. If Denver does sign him, I would expect Sanchez to beat him out. As awful as Dirty is, he is a much better pocket passer and overall QB than Kaep even though Kaep is more athletic.

You could be right that getting out of SF will be good for Kaep but I am of the mindset that he was more a product of Harbaugh than anything else. Same as your boy Luck who has been woefully overrated in the NFL. I also don't think a coach like Kubiak is going to get much out of him given he is running an antiquated offensive system that had Peyton* post the worst statistical season of his career. I actually think Kaep would be better off with Kelly in his system which is perfect for him but I do think he wants out badly and I don't blame him.

Regarding his cap hit and any possible restructuring.

I thought that a team had to comply with the cap at the moment any trade is enacted.

It is only after the trade that one can modify the contract.

Did I remember that wrong?

if it is true, then how much presently under the cap is Denver?

Do they have enough room to assume the existing contract?

If no, then who do they cut or restructure to free up the room?

I thought that a team had to comply with the cap at the moment any trade is enacted.

if history is any indicator, I'm sure they'll "restructure"...

If that's the case (I don't remember) then the restructuring is just done with San Fran before the trade, and is contingent on the trade happening.

Back