Letter to Kraft

(P - shoulder)

More Probable Than Not
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisweeks3d.com
Ok, I having been saying for a while that I would do this, so time to live up to that. Below is the letter I have written for Kraft. I haven't mailed it yet (I'm still at work), but will do so later. I encourage anyone else that wants to be heard to use my letter, either verbatim, or with your own details added in. Just copy/paste and print it out and sign your name at the bottom.
Please feel free to distribute this far and wide. Post it to other boards if you think it appropriate. LURKERS, you can get in on this too. In fact, it only makes a difference if lots of people are sending these in.

The address again is: Mr. Robert Kraft at One Patriot Place Foxboro, MA 02035

Dear Mr. Kraft,

The New England Patriots take their name from a group of courageous individuals who once stood for fairness, independence, morality, and personal pride at any cost, and without compromise. In fully capitulating to a corrupt league office and a bloodthirsty media, you have failed to live up to the standards set by the organization's namesake, and in so doing have allowed the reputations and legacies of your greatest leaders to be irreparably tarnished.

As sports fans, and especially fans of the New England Patriots, our value proposition is very simple. We give our money, whether it be via game tickets, merchandise purchases, tv packages, etc, and in return we are given a world class spectacle, and the privilege of projecting our own regional pride, emotional commitment, and personal desire for greatness and achievement onto the group of athletes who give their all on the field for us every week, and we live their yearly journey with them from the draft and opening of camp all the way to the big event in February. We receive no benefit whatsoever from "growing the game", or "protecting the shield", or "keeping the peace" in regards to the team's relationship to a capricious governance. In fact, many fans believe that the league is getting too big for its britches anyway, after the fashion of the now famous criticisms Mark Cuban made against the NFL. Many of the more cynical fans believe that, while you and your family do, in fact, care about the team and its fans, you have come to care more about the returns of your business relationship with the league, returns which benefit no one outside of One Patriot Place.
In regards to the value proposition of which I made mention, by capitulating to the league in the recent matter, you have undermined the world class spectacle by making it apparent that the actions of the players on the field are less important than the political games that take place in the league office, and in owners' offices around the country. You have also undermined our emotional commitment to the team by letting us know that ultimately the pride and reputations of our players are secondary to the business concerns of the league. You are also sending the message to our children that one should not, or cannot, stand firm in the face of adversity when one is morally in the right, and should instead capitulate to lies, treachery, jealousy, and vengefulness from those in power.

We know that you do ultimately care about this team, its players, and its fans, but we hope you understand what the product actually is that you are providing, and who consumes it. We have supported you for many years as the owner of this team, but we hope you do not take that support for granted. During your recent remarks, you said that you know the fans will be disappointed, but you hope we respect the choice you are making. This letter is to make it clear that we do not respect that choice. When you "measured nine times and cut once", it is us that you have cut.

Sincerely,

I repped you, but Bob Kraft clearly doesn't care about the players, coaches or fans.

I repped you, but Bob Kraft clearly doesn't care about the players, coaches or fans.

Well, you have to butter him up a little. If you send the equivalent of an envelope with a giant loogie in it, the message doesn't get through :shrug:

I encourage anyone else that feels like writing to include how they really feel.

That's such a phenomenal letter. It represents us all. I will take your advice and write a letter of my own. The New England Patriots are not just a pastime in my world; they are a part of me. Kraft's accedence today cut me to the core.

A sad day.

If I cared, I would do a much more pissed off letter myself. But, right now, I hardly care much anymore.

Another really great letter:

An Open Letter To Mr. Robert Kraft
MAY 19, 2015 BY BRUCE ALLEN 11 COMMENTS

Mr. Kraft –

I have great feelings of warmth, gratitude and respect for you as owner of the New England Patriots, and for all that you’ve done for professional football in our region. Purchasing the team, hiring Bill Belichick, building a new stadium, overseeing four Super Bowl Championship teams has been an exhilarating experience for someone whose first Patriots experience came with Ron Erhardt at the helm.

So what exactly have you accomplished? Tom Brady is, at the moment, still suspended for four games. The team has lost a 5-10 year starter in the 2016 first round draft pick, and another asset in the 4th round pick, you’re out a million dollars, your fans are furious and everyone else still thinks your team and QB are cheaters.

My feelings today however, are those of disappointment, disillusionment and anger. Patriots fans for the most part are a loyal bunch and have steadfastly defended the team through many incidents, most of which were precipitated by jealous and frustrated opponents. True Patriots fans hung loyal through Spygate, recognizing that the team was being punished for a violation that many are still not fully educated on. The act of videotaping signals from the wrong location. That 2007 season was the ultimate in emotional swings as the team answered challenge after challenge, even as they were being relentlessly hounded by an ignorant press, aided by a bumbling commissioner who overreacted and handled the affair as poorly as could ever be expected. The crescendo came when a local paper published a story claiming that the Patriots taped a walkthrough of the St. Louis Rams prior to New England’s first Super Bowl win.

The story proved false, but the damage done. To this day, when people think of the Patriots, one of the first things they reference is “taping practices.” Patriots fans have endured that for nearly eight years now. The “Cheater” label has never gone away, and as fans, we are left on the front lines having to battle ignorance, ridicule and trolling from opposing fans. Never once have the fans wavered in their support.

Then this deflated footballs incident happened.

Before the facts were even known, the media and opposing fans were even more zealous in their attacks on the integrity of the New England Patriots franchise. The NFL had leaks coming from within their offices taken as absolute truth, but were just recently exposed as total falsehoods. The national press swarmed to Foxboro to interrogate Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, who were left to try and explain something which they had no knowledge of. Bill Belichick took time away from his Super Bowl preparation to investigate on his own. The talk and hatred from the outside was fierce, and again Patriots fans endured the taunts of cheating and calls for suspensions and even to vacate their place in the Super Bowl. The story led the national news.

To your credit, upon landing in Arizona, you took the offensive. Fans were heartened. It seemed that finally, this wave of negativity and innuendo was enough to make you move against a commissioner who most of America can see is way in over his head in this job. Mr Goodell ordered an “independent investigation” into the matter, and 100 days later the conclusions of Mr Wells and his team are so sloppy, biased and incorrect, that you are again forced to speak out. Then the punishment from a once again overreaching NFL comes down, and you’re forced to speak out again. Your legal team offers up it’s own rebuttal to the Wells Report, and fans are again heartened.

Fans have been putting up with nonsense for years now. Both locally and nationally. We’re feeling that finally, something is going to be done about this. Sabres are rattled, court documents prepared. The fight is about to be joined.

But today, you capitulate to Roger Goodell, citing your love for being part of the NFL. For the “dream” of being one of 32 clubs in the National Football League. For putting the interest of the 32 over the interest of the one. You chose the Shield.

Mr. Kraft, I’m not sure you fully understand what a slap in the face that was to the fans. More than that. It was a gut-punch. You chose the “club” of ownership over the fans. The fans have defended the Patriots at every turn. They have taken on all comers, and with a dedication and determination that is astounding. This was going to be the case in which it was revealed that the emperor had no clothes. Roger Goodell and his corrupt cronies at the NFL were finally going to be exposed and some of the Patriots good name restored. Not all of it, of course, because to many people this franchise will always be “cheaters.” Fans live with that on a daily basis.

Instead, you gave in. The rhetoric is not going away, and in fact, all this has done has confirmed in the minds of many that the Patriots did in fact do something wrong.

The fight would’ve been difficult, it would’ve been long, it would’ve been expensive. It would have been ugly.

It also would’ve been worth it. Even in defeat, you would’ve shown that you were here for the fans who have given their unwavering support.

Instead, you’ve got your own fans angered at you, swearing in the heat of the moment never to watch another game. Nationally, people still believe the Patriots are cheaters.

So what exactly have you accomplished? Tom Brady is, at the moment, still suspended for four games. The team has lost a 5-10 year starter in the 2016 first round draft pick, and another asset in the 4th round pick, you’re out a million dollars, your fans are furious and everyone else still thinks your team and QB are cheaters.

But you’re still in the club.

I guess that’s what you wanted?

You asked fans today to trust your judgment on this matter. It’s difficult, but I’m trying.

Sincerely,
Bruce Allen

Is that other Patriots forum taking it the same as us? Or are the satisfied with Kraft's decision?

Ok, I having been saying for a while that I would do this, so time to live up to that. Below is the letter I have written for Kraft. I haven't mailed it yet (I'm still at work), but will do so later. I encourage anyone else that wants to be heard to use my letter, either verbatim, or with your own details added in. Just copy/paste and print it out and sign your name at the bottom.
Please feel free to distribute this far and wide. Post it to other boards if you think it appropriate. LURKERS, you can get in on this too. In fact, it only makes a difference if lots of people are sending these in.

The address again is: Mr. Robert Kraft at One Patriot Place Foxboro, MA 02035

+1

:clap:

Is that other Patriots forum taking it the same as us? Or are the satisfied with Kraft's decision?

Not sure which one you're referring to.

The letter that Lisa posted was written by Bruce Allen, admin of Boston Sports Media Watch. They have a forum in which they have daily discussions of sports and the media which covers them. I lurk on the site and can tell you that they have a strong contingent of dedicated Pats fans. They are furious, livid, ready for a fight. They're very much like us, but even snarkier, if that's possible.

I will rely on the greatest movie ever made to convey my feelings towards He Who Shall Not Be Named.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PogpUrjSxTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I disagree. He really does care about all three, but just not as much as he cares about money.

In all seriousness, I think he is probably pretty torn up about this.

So much so that in order to try and relax tonight he'll light up a cigar with a hundred, enjoy some 60 year-old scotch and then jump in the Love tub with his trophy Snuzzlebunny until he feels better.

Kraft wins. Goodell wins. The haters win.

We take it in the shitter, but I won't continue with this dialogue and rhetoric anymore. I know many of you will be disappointed, but I truly believe that it is in the best interests of this website and I hope you can all respect that.

I disagree. He really does care about all three, but just not as much as he cares about money.

In all seriousness, I think he is probably pretty torn up about this.

So much so that in order to try and relax tonight he'll light up a cigar with a hundred, enjoy some 60 year-old scotch and then jump in the Love tub with his trophy Snuzzlebunny until he feels better.

Kraft wins. Goodell wins. The haters win.

We take it in the shitter, but I won't continue with this dialogue and rhetoric anymore. I know many of you will be disappointed, but I truly believe that it is in the best interests of this website and I hope you can all respect that.

oROFL

Here's a letter from a life long Patriots fan that scares the hell out of me.

BY JAMIE CONWAY
I’m out. I’m done with the NFL.
I hate the owners—Robert Kraft included—who clearly don’t care about fans like me. I hate the media covering the NFL, even the media who are deferential to the Patriots or at least to due process. I hate the draft. I hate the playoffs. I hate the Super Bowl. Most of all I hate the NFL, DirecTV, ESPN, CBS, Fox, NBC, fantasy football and every platform that has made the NFL a religion. Mark Cuban predicted the NFL would implode over its own greed and arrogance and drive away fans, and in my case he was right. I’ve reached my saturation point. I’m tired of caring about this dumb set of 32 corporations.
My favorite team won the Super Bowl on one of the most exciting plays in NFL history, but that play that has barely been viewed as a success of the Patriots and largely seen as a failure of Pete Carroll, because the media love counterintuitive angles. And now the Patriots have been dismembered and destroyed by the media and the league for one of the most absurd accusations of all time. The only positive note for Pats owner Robert Kraft outside the Boston bubble has been praise for his capitulating to the league’s disciplinary process. Fans around the country take glee in his decision not to pursue an appeal rather than seeing it for what it was—a savvy business decision in an unwinnable scenario. Those same fans are trying to reinforce false narratives about both Spygate and Deflategate. It’s like arguing with climate change deniers—I can’t fight someone who refuses to listen.
• DEFLATEGATE: The MMQB’s complete coverage of the controversy.
I’m open-minded and considered the Wells report a disaster for the Patriots until I read past page 20. But the truth is, it doesn’t matter. In the grand scheme, none of it matters. No writer is winning a Pulitzer for covering America’s most popular sport, no network is winning Emmys. The NFL is just an ATM machine. I’ve invested in rooting for a corporation I have no monetary interest in.
I’m disenfranchised.
I have scheduled the canceling of DirecTV for the day before this NFL season, after having it my entire adult life and getting comped the football package a half dozen times. I am shuttering the fantasy football league that I’ve commissioned for a decade. I’m opting out of two Vegas leagues that I won thousands on last year. I’m tired of caring about something that’s meaningless. Very fun, but meaningless.
I’m out.
Now I no longer have to hate anything: the NFL or Roger Goodell or the money-grubbing owners or the media. I no longer have to hate the constant rules changes put in place to keep up with smart teams.
• THE APPEAL OF GREG HARDY: Andrew Brandt on the league/team divide over domestic violence.
I hope this is Roger Goodell’s legacy. He’s freed an obsessive fan from a trap. Like any addict, there will be bumps along the road and people trying to enable my return. (For instance, DirecTV’s last-ditch offer of an enticing array of free programming including the NFL package, or NFL.com doing an about face to praise the Pats dynasty.) Maybe if someone like Adam Silver helms the NFL at some point, I’ll return. But as of right now, I’m out.
(I hope?)
Jamie Conway is a lifelong Patriots fan from Marion, Mass.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/28/patriots-fan-deflategate-giving-up-on-football/

It's been a couple of weeks and I am still pretty pissed.

The "crime" was silly.

The "investigation" was biased and inconclusive.

The "punishment" was so far out of line as to be ludicrous.

The only thing that could make me happy now is a FIFA style take down of the NFL office with Goodell, Kensil and Vincent doing a perp walk down 5th Avenue.

Back