Lies, Damn Lies, and Ryan Mallet

The Gr8est

"It's time to shut up, Fat Boy!"
Reaction score
I saw this linked on PatsFans earlier today and haven't seen it here. This is a gr8 article written by Dolphins fans/ bloggers. I believe they are the same guys that Box linked in a thread building up to the draft since they were pretty astute observers.

This is quite long but well worth the read, particular since our favorite team drafted this guy. Their final opinion was that they hoped that the Dolphins would take him, even at #15. He could turn out to be one of the best draft values ever.

I already would prefer him over the guy the Rats traded up to #5 for without hesitation.

Another thread pointed out that maybe BB felt a kinship with Mallet with their disdain for the media, their unwillingness to suffer fools gladly, and their obsession with football, and I think that comes across here. Someday the story on Mallet could be how such a gr8 QB slipped to the 3rd round based on erroneous information, just as TFB's story is being lasting to the 6th round to pick 199.

After reading this I know I would have been doubly upset if the Colts had drafted him to be Peyton Manning's heir apparent.

I think we've got a winner here.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

Yeah, it's funny. Mallett is a two time team captain, but he gets panned for his abrasive manner and "lack of leadership". He is a coaches' sun and chalkboard junkie who gets panned for his attitude.

Frankly he sounds a lot like Peyton Manning. Very driven, very competitive, doesn't suffer fools gladly, and somewhat abrasive.

Yeah, it's funny. Mallett is a two time team captain, but he gets panned for his abrasive manner and "lack of leadership". He is a coaches' sun and chalkboard junkie who gets panned for his attitude.

Frankly he sounds a lot like Peyton Manning. Very driven, very competitive, doesn't suffer fools gladly, and somewhat abrasive.

I had the same thought. His personality seems very much like the driven Peyton Manning, with a mix of BB thrown in.

At times I have to assume some people just don't remember their college days. That or mine were fairly exceptional. That's the most boring "college trouble" story I've ever heard.

If he pans out ala Aaron Rogers, this is the best thing ever!

... Their final opinion was that they hoped that the Dolphins would take him, even at #15.

I live in Fish territory and watched the Day 2 draft with several Fish fans present. Let me tell you, they also wanted Mallett bad. Their collective fury that the Fish passed and their sheer HORROR that the "goddamn @'#?$$@ Pats" got him was probably the single most awesome draft moment I can think of! ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

That was a great read. It definitely speaks on the ability that he has and the confidence that he will be successful in the NFL. Not to mention that it could trigger TFB's competitiveness to another level with a possible 'threat' at his very stable spot.

Wow, what an in depth and impressively written article. It's a shame the Pats scene couldn't find a scribe like this.

Yeah, it's funny. Mallett is a two time team captain, but he gets panned for his abrasive manner and "lack of leadership".
I buy about 3-4 draft mags every year along with the PFW draft guide which is now only mail order and it's funny to see all the contradictions in there. In all the reports on Mallett I read pre draft, one maintained that he wasn't ever a captain. I remember specifically being taken aback by that because I would be wary of drafting any QB who wasn't a captain if there was no logical reason behind it.

A very, very well done piece.

Almost exhaustive and, I felt, a completely fair and objective analysis.

In going through the prospects for this year's draft, I ran across dozens of different guys that might have been players the Pats would be interested in were it not for some significant off-field issues. Ryan Mallett might be one of the more unfairly castigated kids I've seen. Whatever he was alleged to have done pales in comparison to some of this stuff.

He got trashed at a kegger and probably smoked some pot along the way.

Right. How can he possibly read a defense with that kind of criminal background?

I would have been concerned had the Dolphins or Bills snapped him up. As it turned out both teams seem safely in the rearview mirror for a few more years behind guys that will have to be have their best season to get all the way up to mediocre. It's us and the Jets again.

Mallett's ability to get the ball downfield and his potential as an NFL QB are much greater than either Henne or Fitzgerald and would have cast a long shadow on the future of the division race.

Fortunately, they failed to recognize that.

Gr8t find!!

I encourage you all to watch these videos. The first is a short one that shows Mallett's beautiful touch on the deep balls with appropriate arc when needed. His 'catchability' rate for deep passes, acc. to the author is close to 80% which is truly great for deep balls. (17/21)

The 2nd is 14 mins and well worth every minute. It shows how Mallett has developed into an accomplished pocket passer by studying Brady and Manning for years. I really like his over delivery and his ability to put 'touch' on his passes.

The 3rd video is 12 mins and shows his ability to handle pressure while getting the pass off. He shows an impressive pocket presence and rarely throws the ball away. He doesn't panic easily. His slide step is impressive as he makes 1 defender after another whiff. He tries to give his receiver a throw that only the receiver can catch whether it's off shoulder, behind, over or at the feet. He's very poised, imo. At the 9 min mark the video switches to rollouts and bootlegs. There's a beautiful wheel route at the 9:43 mark showing Mallett's play action fake and footwork. He throws the ball off balance but has plenty of arm to put zing on the ball. There are plenty of throws showing great touch.

Now for the mistakes. The 4th video shows his bad decisions and why he made them. None are any worse than what we see in every NFL game. It's only 5 mins. Interestingly, he doesn't make any more mistakes under pressure than he does when not under pressure. I like QB's who can handle pressure and Mallett handles it well.

As Pneumonic said, I wish we had writers who did this kind of analysis.

Here's David Hydes' follow up article chastising the Dolphins for passing on Mallett...twice. The comments by the fans are epic. They are pissed.

Here is Hyde's opening; I laughed all the way through it.

Have you got the feeling over the last decade that the Dolphins are playing checkers while Bill Belichick is playing chess?

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2011/04/hyde_mallett_to_pats_is_a_punc.html

Some comments.

First off... thank you Dave Hyde, for being the voice of sanity this weekend.
People can’t figure out why the Patriots are where they are… and the Dolphins have been where they are since Don Shula retired.
Well it’s on display today… for those with brains (which obviously excludes our head coach and GM):
Clearly possessing the worst starting QB in the AFC East division… and with orders from the owner to open up the offense, make it like the days of Dan Marino…
Our front office selects a GUARD (the fourth draft pick spent on a guard in their 4 year tenure – not to mention the 60 million in contracts spent for free agent injury prone guards and centers who are no longer here) with the 15th overall pick.
Then next they trade a 3rd, 5th, and 7th round pick to get into the 2nd round for a Running Back rated by some draftnik’s as the 20th (or higher) rated running back in the draft… and whose one special quality is apparently he used to be a quarterback and is ALLLLLLL set to throw 3 or 4 passes a game for us…
Meanwhile the Patriots, possessing the best QB in the division (and many would say the entire league)… after assuring themselves of having two first round picks in the 15th straight draft by trading with New Orleans… drafting a tackle to protect Tom Brady… what most services have rated as the 4th best RB… another CB…. end up taking QB Ryan Mallet…
You honestly can’t make this sh&t up. lol
We can’t even “SUCK for LUCK”…. because the Fist Pumper and redheaded cheerleader will surely F that up by winning 6 or 7 games (albeit none in south Florida I’m sure).
Steve Ross…. I got nothing for you babe. Best thing I can come up with… is please please please hit Don Shula up for some DNA samples. Maybe 30 years from now when they can clone people… and my beloved Miami Dolphins can once again be run by someone with a brain and a freaking clue.
Until then… best of luck, and don’t count on any of my cash support til you sign the contract for the cloning.

Posted by: twyger | April 29, 2011 10:50 PM

Who in there right mind can support these picks and this JV Franchise? I don't have a major problem with Pouncey because He will be a good Guard but He's not a Center. Don't let Ireland fool you. Pouncey couldn't snap it to a QB in Shotgun even if that QB had a tennis racket to bat down the ball. My MAJOR problem with the Dolphins is that they act just like the DOLPHINS.. lol Daniel Thomas is NOT a good RB. I followed the Big 12 closely last year. He has TERRIBLE hands. Extremely fumble prone and that's a problem WHEN YOUR SLOW... The reason people are PISSED is because they traded UP to get this WILDCAT Douche... They have Ronnie Brown. Let us not forget the 5 RB's this 'Regime' has brought in over the last 3 years. ALL OF THEM FAILED.. Same size, same makeup = Daniel Thomas. The Dolphins could have gotten this guy in the 5th. Yet, they trade up for for a player NOBODY wanted ( Remember the Pat White - WILDCAT Project? 2nd Round pick? Hmmm...) And for those dishing on Hyde. Never criticize a person who is saying the TRUTH. That's what a good journalist does. The Dolphins DONT DESERVE support until they get it right. Respect is earned. NOT GRANTED.
Posted by: Ha Ha! | April 30, 2011 1:41 AM

ROFL

Very informative and motivating piece. I hope to see a lot of local media coverage of Mallett's development with NE.

Perhaps the days of Brady finishing NE blowout victories are over, only to have Mallett run up the score in his place.

Yeehaw!!!!

Gr8t find!!

I encourage you all to watch these videos. The first is a short one that shows Mallett's beautiful touch on the deep balls with appropriate arc when needed. His 'catchability' rate for deep passes, acc. to the author is close to 80% which is truly great for deep balls. (17/21)

The 2nd is 14 mins and well worth every minute. It shows how Mallett has developed into an accomplished pocket passer by studying Brady and Manning for years. I really like his over delivery and his ability to put 'touch' on his passes.

The 3rd video is 12 mins and shows his ability to handle pressure while getting the pass off. He shows an impressive pocket presence and rarely throws the ball away. He doesn't panic easily. His slide step is impressive as he makes 1 defender after another whiff. He tries to give his receiver a throw that only the receiver can catch whether it's off shoulder, behind, over or at the feet. He's very poised, imo. At the 9 min mark the video switches to rollouts and bootlegs. There's a beautiful wheel route at the 9:43 mark showing Mallett's play action fake and footwork. He throws the ball off balance but has plenty of arm to put zing on the ball. There are plenty of throws showing great touch.

Now for the mistakes. The 4th video shows his bad decisions and why he made them. None are any worse than what we see in every NFL game. It's only 5 mins. Interestingly, he doesn't make any more mistakes under pressure than he does when not under pressure. I like QB's who can handle pressure and Mallett handles it well.

As Pneumonic said, I wish we had writers who did this kind of analysis.

AWTE could, if he wasn't so busy with all that coaching the youth of America crap.

Kidding AWTE, as I'm sure you know!

Good read and it seems he is also a perfectionist. Can't wait to see he and Brady interacting with those personalities.

Quarterback controversy in 2013? If this kid becomes a stud (and not the second coming of Dan McGwire), it will very very, very interesting to see what happens when Brady's contract expires.

He says he wants to play ten more years. If Mallett proves to be the next great thing, we could have Bledsoe/Brady part deux in about three years.

Back