Looking at the Patriots - 2015

Tom Brady has had 504 yards of passing offense negated by penalties. That's the most in the NFL.
Coming in 2nd is Carson Palmer with 256 yds. Half as much.

Will it continue in the playoffs? #Integrity

Hip Hop Patriots Anthem
<iframe width="506" height="284" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6-OqsFa1z9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not into that kind of music but that was awesome.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Tom Brady has had 504 yards of passing offense negated by penalties. That's the most in the NFL.

If it does continue in the playoffs then the whole world will see the integrity issues. The NFL better be damn careful about trying to pull some kind of call that can hurt the Patriots and the whole world knows that was a bad call. I'm a true believer that evil will always lose in the end.

That and Gronk 6 OPI calls. If you believe the conspiracy theory of the NFL . Telling it's refs to cost Pats game .

Flattering article from SI about BB

Inside the mind of Bill Belichick

Often colder than a Nor'easter during his press conferences, Bill Belichick has mastered the art of withholding information. But with the tape rolling and clicker in hand, the Patriots coach turns into an excited teacher during a weekly TV segment called The Belestrator

bill-belichick-650-362.jpg
Matthew Healey/UPI /LANDOV

Who is this friendly man on the video screen wearing blue jeans and a striped dress shirt? His demeanor is amiable, he’s expansive with the host, and he’s getting very excited as he describes Tom Brady’s screen pass to running back James White against the Titans on Dec. 20—a play this man says is arguably New England’s most well-executed play of the season.
As the film shows White zipping past defenders for a touchdown, our man is really getting into it now, explaining how tackle Sebastian Vollmer pinned an opposing lineman at the line of scrimmage, and how center David Andrews and fellow offensive linemen Josh Kline and Shaq Mason held their blocks 10 yards down the field. He then looks further down field and highlights terrific blocks by wide receivers Danny Amendola and Brandon LaFell near the end zone.
“To get those blocks in the open field, to get it all timed out as well as it did on this play, and James White doing a great job of ruing and setting up the blocks, it was probably one of the best executed plays of the year,” says Bill Belichick.
Wait, this is Bill Belichick, the famous curmudgeonly Bill “We’re on to Cincinnati” Belichick who makes Greg Popovich seem like Will Rogers by comparison? Indeed it is. This is Belichick in his natural film-wonk habitat, and it’s something you can watch weekly as part of Patriots All Access, a one-hour show produced by Kraft Sports Productions that airs weekly on WBZ-TV in Boston. Many of the segments are repurposed on Patriots.com, including “The Belestrator” and “Belichick Breakdowns.” Each week, Belichick tapes these segments with the purpose of taking Patriots fans into his mind. The Belestrator highlights what to look for with an upcoming opponent, while the Belichick Breakdown examines top plays after a win.
“The hard-core crowd loves the segments,” says ESPN’s Mike Reiss, who has covered the team for nearly 20 years, including for The Boston Globe. “I generally post a blog entry on his Belichick Breakdown segment each week because it is terrific insight into the team and there is usually the same response at least once each week: ‘Do other coaches do the same type of thing because this is great?’ I make it a weekly appointment because it is insight on what Belichick views as the most significant challenges the team is facing that week. Sometimes it’s obvious (e.g. 11 plays of J.J. Watt leading into the Texans game), but other times not so much (e.g. Eagles special teams). So that Eagles game from Dec. 6 is a good example. What is the first play Belichick shows on the Belestrator? A punt return, noting that the Eagles were a top special unit in 2014 and they are formidable again in 2015. As it turned out, special-teams miscues defending the Eagles’ punt return and punt rush units were critical in a loss. So the main thing I discern from watching the segments, as it relates to Belichick and his film work, is that when he has that clicker in his hand and he’s watching/discussing tape, he’s in his element and usually right on point.”
Belichick films the segments every Wednesday morning at Gillette Stadium. The studio is located on the field level, about 100 yards from the football offices. Matt Smith, the executive producer of Patriots All Access, says there is no pre-show meeting for the segments, no sheet listing talking points, and no makeup for Belichick. The Patriots coach sends Smith (and the football video staff) an email on Wednesday mornings to let everyone know what plays he has selected to analyze for the show.
<figure class="ui-thumbnail inline-image">
belichick-zolak-650.jpg

Photo: Courtesy of the Patriots </figure>

The football video group then loads the footage on Belichick’s laptop and brings it to the studio, where it will be plugged into a telestrator so Smith’s crew can become familiar with the plays. For the Belestrator and Breakdown segments, Belichick uses the actual clicker he uses in team meetings because he’s comfortable with that device. The segments’ host, Scott Zolak, a former Patriots player who serves as the color analyst for the team’s radio game coverage, may briefly discuss a couple of the plays with Belichick before the taping begins, but Smith says the segments are mostly organic.
“There is no real rehearsal and I think one of the most important things we can do to facilitate Coach Belichick is to be ready prior to his arrival,” says Smith, who in 2004 left his local Boston TV producing job to join Kraft Sports Productions. He is now the executive producer of the Patriots’ in-house television department. “We are generally rolling tape less than two minutes from when he walks in door,” Smith says.
Patriots All Access is a PR-heavy magazine-style show that debuted in 1998, two years before Belichick left the Jets to join New England. Belichick initially did his chalk-talk segments on a whiteboard until Smith joined the show in 2004, when the coach began using a telestator. Smith says it was a viewer who wrote in to the show and suggested the name “The Belestator” for the X’s and O’s segment. In 2009, team president Jonathan Kraft suggested they expand the segment beyond the upcoming opponent and include successful plays from the week before. That component (“Belichick Breakdowns”) primarily runs online at Patriots.com and is filmed only after wins. Smith says management does not sign off on either segment before it airs. (The Patriots PR staff declined an interview request for Belichick but made Smith available for this story.)
No matter your feelings on the Patriots and Belichick, the segments are interesting viewing because they give insight into one of the NFL’s most successful coaches. As Reiss noted, prior to playing the Eagles on Dec. 6—a game New England lost, 35-28, because of special-teams errors—Belichick was highly focused on Philadelphia’s special teams during his Belestrator segment, as if telegraphing what might happen for the Patriots in a worst-case scenario. The first play he diagrammed was an 89-yard punt return by Eagles running back Darren Sproles against the Jets in September.
When it comes time to film the segments, there are six people on set: Belichick, Zolak, Smith, and three camera people. In the control room, director Dave Mondillo remains in constant contact with Smith throughout the segments, which take about 20 minutes each week. Smith describes him as “cordial, professional, focused and at ease” during the segments, and says that whenever there are occasional mispronunciations or mistakes by either the host or the coach, they simply start again.
“I don’t want to overproduce it,” Smith said. “This is Bill Belichick breaking down tape. In that instance as a producer, you have to get out of the way. This is what he does best, as one of the best coaches in the history of the game. You overproduce it with dozen of cameras and it would be a real disservice. When I come to him with any idea, he will say, ‘Do you think it’s better for the show?’ When I say it is, he is more than willing to go along with it. I can’t speak for him, but I think there is an understanding that when he comes down here he knows what is expected of him and if there is something else we need to do, he’ll say no problem. He takes direction very easily.”
Zolak, a former NFL quarterback who played for the New York Jets when Belichick was an assistant there, said he tries to pose his questions in football-centric ways that will interest the coach.
“That’s his wheelhouse,” says Zolak, who has hosted the Belichick segments for the past five years. “I don’t have to dumb questions down. I think these segments show he wants to relate to fans more. I know there is an opinion that the coaching staff here keeps things close to the vest and is close-minded—and some of that is true—but Bill will often surprise you on the show with his manner. I know he gets a kick out of showing something that worked in practice that also worked in the game, and the fans love that, too.”
Zolak believes Belichick would be a terrific television analyst should he ever want to go that route.
“I think he’d be damn good,” says Zolak. “It’s the mad scientist about him. He looks at things differently.”
<section class="outbrain-container"> </section>
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/12/...riots-football-mind-belestrator?xid=si_social

Flattering article from SI about BB

Inside the mind of Bill Belichick...

I look forward to his "Belistrator" spot every week.

When he occasionally gets into the history of the league or discusses the evolution of the game during his pressers, that can be some good stuff too.

Keshawn Martin signed to a 2-yr extension through '17.

I like this move a lot. Keshawn Martin offers more than Dobson who isn't likely to be back next year or LaFell who is dropping far too many passes. I want to see Martin given more time to settle into the offense. I think he'll be a solid player for us.

I like this move a lot. Keshawn Martin offers more than Dobson who isn't likely to be back next year or LaFell who is dropping far too many passes. I want to see Martin given more time to settle into the offense. I think he'll be a solid player for us.

I agree. Also good on returns.

Great signing at a very reasonable price. I think he could move to #3 next year and looks to be pretty versatile. Another full camp with Brady and he should be a solid contributor.

Back