Looking at the Patriots - 2019

Elway said yesterday that "it's hard to argue that he's not the greatest."

Brady owns many regular season and playoff records, including a record six Super Bowl championships. The 42-year-old quarterback also is giving Father Time a heck of a fight, and despite being in his 20th pro season, he still is among the best players at his position. In fact, Pro Football Focus recently ranked him the top quarterback in the league through three weeks of the 2019 season.
With all that Brady has accomplished, is there even a debate that he's the greatest player in league history?
"I think it's very difficult to find somebody else that's had a better career," Hall of Fame quarterback and current Denver Broncos executive John Elway said Wednesday on WEEI's "The Greg Hill Show."
"I think when you look at the success he's had, the numbers he's put up, the wins that he's had, but also the world championships. Obviously there's a lot of great quarterbacks that have played in the NFL that don't have world championships, but I think that's one sign of a great quarterback. When you have as many (Super Bowl titles) as Tom has, it's hard to argue that he's not the greatest."

Elway played 16 years for the Denver Broncos but didn't win the Super Bowl until his final two seasons, and you could arge his four best statistical seasons were the last four of his career. Elway knows what it's like to play at a high level late in your career, and he's quite impressed with the way Brady is performing at age 42.
"I think the way that he takes care of his body, No. 1. Obviously he trains, and trains year round. The way he fuels his body I think allows him to continue to play like he's been playing," Elway said. "I think the mind that he has, the competitive nature that he has, and the will that he has to continue to be great also is a big factor. He's still playing tremendous football individually, as well as the team. They're another (team) that's going to be hard to contend with."
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...ard-argue-patriots-qb-tom-brady-isnt-goat?int

Re: Kessler's signing - I'm told that Brady's calf is limiting his snaps in practice quite a bit so Kessler was signed to help Stidham take up the slack. Stidham is taking 1st team reps when Brady steps out; Kessler is primarily doing scout team duty.
I said that when it happened, practice arm

BUT Bill is huge in letting anyone compete so never say never.

Steve Palazzolo@PFF_Steve
Defenses playing highest percentage of cover-1 in the NFL:
Lions 50%
Patriots 49%
Dolphins 45%
Texans 39%
Redskins 39%

Top four are all Belichick or his coaching tree

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

The radio is probably right.

Zo & Beetle. Who knows?

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

A Patriots player has best PFF grade at the CB position, but it's not Stephon Gilmore

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...rade-his-position-and-its-not-stephon-gilmore

Love this kid. What a bargain he's been.

Agree.

And we beat Phillie for another Lombardi if he was healthy.

Breakdown of drives against the Pats' D through 3 games:

22 punts
6 Ints (2 for TDs)
5 4th down stops
3 end of game
1 FG
0 TDs

The Patriots defense has outscored the opponent offense 14-3 through 3 games. Amazing.

Offensive variations by the Pats through 3 games. I expect the Pats to have a high % of variability against the Bills' very good defense similar to the Steelers' game. It creates confusion and mistakes.

EFayaLmWkAY2Inn

Zack Cox@ZackCoxNESN
Bill Belichick: "Analytics isn't really my thing. I try to evaluate what I see. ... It works for some people, and that's great."

Warren Sharp@SharpFootball
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.

The Patriots last 11 TD’s Matthew Slater, Brandon Bolden, Rex Burkhead, Julian Edelman, Phillip Dorsett, Sony Michel, James White, Jamie Collins, Stephon Gilmore, Tom Brady & Antonio Brown. 11 different players.

I’ve never seen that before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Patriots defensive ranks so far:<br>* Points per game: 6.8 (1st)<br>* Sacks: 18 (1st)<br>* INT: 10 (1st)<br>* 3 & outs forced: 21 (1st)<br>* Yards/game: 243.0 (1st)<br>* Yards/drive: 19.1 (1st)<br>* Rush yards/game: 61.3 (2nd)<br>* Pass yards/game: 181.8 (2nd)<br>* More TD scored (2) than allowed (1)</p>— Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1178659517992751106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 30, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Scott Barrett@ScottBarrettDFB
Missed Tackles Forced per Touch (2019) 1. Alvin Kamara (0.39) 2. Damien Williams (0.39) 3. Duke Johnson (0.35) 4. Josh Jacobs (0.34) 5. Le'Veon Bell (0.32) 6. Ronald Jones (0.26) 7. Chris Carson (0.26) 8. Austin Ekeler (0.25) ... Last / 44. Sony Michel (0.05)

Michel isn't totally to blame but his bottom ranking, well, that's a fact, Jack.

He isn't getting much room to wiggle and that is on the OL. Scar and Fears have more work to do in concert with McD, who can scheme better and use more deception. A couple of passes to Michel might go a long way towards making the Pats less predictable for defenses.

Scott Barrett is PFF's Senior Fantasy Analyst

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Patriots defensive ranks so far:<br>* Points per game: 6.8 (1st)<br>* Sacks: 18 (1st)<br>* INT: 10 (1st)<br>* 3 & outs forced: 21 (1st)<br>* Yards/game: 243.0 (1st)<br>* Yards/drive: 19.1 (1st)<br>* Rush yards/game: 61.3 (2nd)<br>* Pass yards/game: 181.8 (2nd)<br>* More TD scored (2) than allowed (1)</p>— Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1178659517992751106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 30, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

historically great defense this year. That PPG number also includes a TD on a special teams gaffe and a pick 6...neither of which are on the defense. Actual PPG # is 3.25.

NE decided to punt to BUF from the BUF 40 on 4th & 4 with 5:35 remaining in the 3rd while winning 13 to 10.

With a Surrender Index of 9.64, this punt ranks at the 96th percentile of cowardly punts of the 2019 season, and the 92nd percentile of all punts since 2009.

— Surrender Index (@surrender_index) September 29, 2019

This was in a link I think Chev posted. Despite the "cowardly" ranking, I think it was the smart play. It was 15 yards too far for the kicker (5 for an accurate kicker :coffee:) and the offense couldn't be counted on either. The smart play was to kick it and let the best defense in the league do their thing. It worked.

Fools gold or real deal? These are nice numbers, but I won't get too excited until I see how we do against a decent offense, which we won't be seeing for awhile.

Scott Barrett@ScottBarrettDFB
Missed Tackles Forced per Touch (2019) 1. Alvin Kamara (0.39) 2. Damien Williams (0.39) 3. Duke Johnson (0.35) 4. Josh Jacobs (0.34) 5. Le'Veon Bell (0.32) 6. Ronald Jones (0.26) 7. Chris Carson (0.26) 8. Austin Ekeler (0.25) ... Last / 44. Sony Michel (0.05)

Michel isn't totally to blame but his bottom ranking, well, that's a fact, Jack.

He isn't getting much room to wiggle and that is on the OL. Scar and Fears have more work to do in concert with McD, who can scheme better and use more deception. A couple of passes to Michel might go a long way towards making the Pats less predictable for defenses.

Scott Barrett is PFF's Senior Fantasy Analyst

Would be interesting to see number of time hit behind the line as a comparison.

Haven't watched enough teams to gather relative perspective, but I swear Sony's been met at or behind the line on like 70% of his carries this season. I remember the same thing happening to start last year. Once the OL stopped sucking it up, his production took off.

I'm still curious about why he isn't becoming more involved in the passing game. IIRC, he caught balls in college so should be capable. A lot of times it just seems like teams know it's a run when he's out there.

It’d help if Sony could stop running into the back of the Oline. He might be great in the second level, but even when the blocking was there last year he had trouble seeing the hole. I don’t care how agile/quick/fast you are in the open field, the first step is squeezing through your lineman. Can they trade him for a left tackle and plug in a running back who can get 3 and put Tom in 2nd and 6 or 7 situations? Wynn is not a left tackle. Versital lineman who can fill in at tackle for a game, maybe. Guard, hopefully.. Starting left tackle, no. Sorry fellas, but good left tackles are big. Good ones 99 percent of the time are really really big for a reason, and are actually available to play football games. I was blown away this summer at the confidence on this board regarding his development and availability/ lack of worry about Oline depth. What have we learned watching this team for years? The line matters. It’s not skill positions. It’s give Tom time and confidence, and get some dudes who can move the line for three or four yards on run plays.
Can someone tell me why the hell coaching staff wants to slam Sony into a brick wall for two downs to pick up a yard, and the expect Tom to convert that when the def knows what’s coming to the outside and Edelman is banged up? I was wondering when Reiss was calling for the run game to break out. (Im not trying to knock Reiss, and sure he heard from the staff that it would be a point of emphasis.) Probably a bad week to try to rejuvenate it.

I’m sure Sony will look great against the skins next week, but in the playoffs he’s gonna have to run against an actual defense outside of seeing the chiefs.

The great thing about missing on all these first round draft picks is that the team doesn’t have overpay to keep anyone around. And I’m not saying that last line sarcastically. I mean it. I think a big part of the pats success is trading down, not overpaying guys, and building a team of a bunch of B- players rather than a couple of A guys surrounded by a bunch of F and D guys. So at least they won’t have to over pay Sony in a few years. I guess we can see what Harry turns into once Tom retires.

Another thing and I’m sure peoples touched on this but, CAN THEY JUST THROW HIM THE BALL? I’ve read he’s supposed to be a decent receiver. I bet that would help the predictability

I’d love to see what Harris looks like. Who cares if he’s less dynamic, and maybe he’s not. Right now they need someone who can move the pile and get tough dirty yards. But definitely throw Sony a pass. Hell try to get him in some space and utilize his skill set. Sometimes I really wonder about McDaniels, and this goes back to those draw plays out of shotgun with Marony that got stuffed 90 percent of the time. Brady has made a lot of coordinators look good, and it’s not like he was scheming up great offenses when he left NE.

Back