Mangini Opens Up About Spygate

That's all fine and I'm not saying don't criticize Mangini.

However the way it's presented here implies that Belichick believes he has final say over his employees seeking employment outside of his organization.

Which to me, if correct, is a completely intolerable level of arrogance.

I think what pissed Belichick off was he poached some coaches after he told BB he wouldn't.

No one saying he didn't have the right. He did nothing to violate the rules. (written one's anyway).

But he still screwed the Pats in the process and we don't have to like it and say ok he's within the rules. And BB sure as hell doesn't have to stay his pal just like you wouldn't expect your boss to stay your if you gave that notice right when he needed you most. :shrug:

Oh and btw, who said Bill wasn't arrogant? But nothing in the rules says he has to be humble - so no offense, right?

Cheers

Well he's a football coach so arrogance is implied. I meant excessive even in context.

Again, if Mangini was a dick on the way out, that's legit criticism. If after I put in my two week notice I shit on the walls, slap all the female coworkers asses and take the last cup of coffee without making another pot, criticize away.

However the way it's presented here implies that Belichick believes he has final say over his employees seeking employment outside of his organization.

I don't think you can apply a typical business analogy to a coach-assistant coach mentorship thing. Mangini was a ball boy when he first started working for BB, according to the article, right?

It's not about what he was allowed to do; of course it was his decision as a grown man. It's about burning bridges, I think. Obviously I don't know what discussions EM and BB may have had at the time, if there was any discussion at all... but clearly there was a feeling of betrayal and disloyalty involved, even if those sentiments were imagined on BB's part.

I think what pissed Belichick off was he poached some coaches after he told BB he wouldn't.
It was more than that, he also was copying lots of files/documents before they blocked his access.

Well he's a football coach so arrogance is implied. I meant excessive even in context.

Again, if Mangini was a dick on the way out, that's legit criticism. If after I put in my two week notice I shit on the walls, slap all the female coworkers asses and take the last cup of coffee without making another pot, criticize away.

Even if you cleaned all the walls, finally at long last stopped bum slapping, and made the coffee everyday for your last two weeks, but your boss still desperately needs your expertise NOW? You wouldn't expect him to remain your pal.

What is the biggest revelation of this story is that Mangini is STILL butt hurt that his relationship with Bill and Kraft are in the toilet forever. That part kind of surprises me to be honest. Perhaps he is just graveling here to try to get back into the NFL. Seems odd to me anyways.

What line of business are you guys in?

If a rival corporation offers me a promotion the only thing I owe my current employer is a two week notice.

Always leave on good terms unless your previous employer was a complete asshat because you never know what can happen down the road. Mangini is a prime example of it.

I don't think anyone here is saying that. I do believe NFL coaching has a bit of a fraternity-like atmosphere. Mangini went against his head coach by going to a hated division rival. He had every right but he knew what he was doing and should have known what to expect from Belichick. On top of that Mangini began taking players including Matt Chatham which didn't earn him any brownie points. Mangini knew what he was doing and got what he deserved from Belichick...nothing.

What line of business are you guys in?

If a rival corporation offers me a promotion the only thing I owe my current employer is a two week notice.

If I take a job with a competitor and then give a 2 week notice, I would be immediately walked out the door, although it would result in a 2 week paid vacation.

This would have meant a lot more if he'd had the balls to say it in 2007.

He has said similar stuff in the past.

From 2012
“If there is a decision I could take back it’s easily that decision,” Mangini said. “Never in a million years would I have wanted it to go this way. It’s disappointing whenever it comes up.”
Mangini, who was an assistant on the Patriots’ three Super Bowl-winning teams, says he has never believed any of the Patriots’ titles were tainted, and he’s surprised that anyone would suggest they are.
“It’s regret, it’s disappointment, it’s all of those things,” Mangini said of the way he views Spygate now. “Because I know what it took to win those Super Bowls and I have so much respect for the people that were involved there. I’m disappointed that this is what it’s translated into.”
One reason for Mangini’s disappointment may be that he’s now viewed in coaching circles as an assistant whom a head coach would have trouble trusting. If Mangini wants to get back on an NFL staff, he’d need that head coach to believe he’d be more loyal than he was to Belichick. But Mangini said today that he wasn’t trying to hurt Belichick. All he really wanted was to beat the Patriots that day and keep them from getting any kind of an advantage.
“Never in a million years did I expect it to play out like this,” Mangini said. “This is one of those situations where I didn’t want them to do the things they were doing. I didn’t think it was any kind of significant advantage, but I wasn’t going to give them the convenience of doing it in our stadium, and I wanted to shut it down. But there was no intent to get the league involved. There was no intent to have the landslide that it has become.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...regrets-turning-in-the-patriots-over-spygate/

Also
Eric Mangini regrets turning in Patriots for 'Spygate' - USA Today

But not in 2007 when his supposed beloved-mentor was taking it from all sides. I understand that he regrets what happened NOW (or in 2012), long after the events in question, but if he truly cared about Bill and truly believed the taping was meaningless then he should have been more vocal during Spygate.

in the beginning, when it counted, he was much more concerned with bringing down the Pats in order to make the Jests look better. Now he tries to minimize his involvement. He made the decision not to come out forcefully when spygate started to snowball. He is as responsible as anyone else in tainting the image of GOAT NFL head coach. I would not be inviting him to Thanksgiving dinner either.

I don't think anyone here is saying that. I do believe NFL coaching has a bit of a fraternity-like atmosphere. Mangini went against his head coach by going to a hated division rival. He had every right but he knew what he was doing and should have known what to expect from Belichick. On top of that Mangini began taking players including Matt Chatham which didn't earn him any brownie points. Mangini knew what he was doing and got what he deserved from Belichick...nothing.
So again, all that other stuff is a legit reasons to shit on him. I just see it pop up that Mangini went against BB's wishes by taking a job with the Jets so **** him and that's the part that I take issue with. Not even the Jets part because I get that. It's the underlying idea that BB is somehow entitled to have a say in Mangini taking one of 32 head coaching positions.

If I take a job with a competitor and then give a 2 week notice, I would be immediately walked out the door, although it would result in a 2 week paid vacation.
What industry are you working in?

And I completely disagree with the stipulation of some that Bill is that petty and vindictive that he holds guys back.

He has always favored people who learn the job from the ground up and then gradually get more responsibility so that they reach the highest level they can handle. Preferably here, but if there is no appropriate opening then Bill lets them go to wherever they can get what they deserve with his blessing.

I'm sure he'd prefer if they weren't our direct competitors, but if that's the only place that'll give his guys a promotion then I think he has never stood in anybody's way. Bledsoe to Buffalo was an example of this from a player standpoint. It was his only offer, so......

Brian Hoyer was the ideal backup QB here, but I believe we let him go because he deserved his shot to start somewhere. Same thing with Cassell and that might possibly happen with Jimmy, too. Belichick has too much respect for the game, his coaches and his players to keep them trapped in a situation where they don't have a chance to realize their potential.

There are plenty of examples of this. Mangini didn't get dead to him from taking the job with the Jets, he did it by being a conniving prick.

So again, all that other stuff is a legit reasons to shit on him. I just see it pop up that Mangini went against BB's wishes by taking a job with the Jets so **** him and that's the part that I take issue with. Not even the Jets part because I get that. It's the underlying idea that BB is somehow entitled to have a say in Mangini taking one of 32 head coaching positions.

What industry are you working in?
Any business with client info and a non-compete clause, do this for sure. Many if not most others simply because experience says that work falls off and the focus switches to the new job. In our HR consulting practice our advice is always to supervise an immediate b'bye.

Cheers

BB was wrong to misinterpret the rules, so if it wasn't Manjina, it would have been somebody else. Regardless, fvck that rat bastard and fvck the JEST.

Bill didn't misinterpret anything imo. He just gives no ****s. Hard to argue with him. I'd take a Belichick league any day over what we have now. Fantasy flag football with 4 good teams.

Gotta be honest, the whole "he didn't have BB's blessing!" criticism of Manigini seems a bit ridiculous. He's a grown ass man and doesn't need Belichick's permission to get a promotion.

Especially given all the legit reasons to critisize Mangini.

The relationship turned sour when Mangina left for the Jets...BB had a bad outing because of Parcells there. Jets were the enemy also. It wasn't because he left for another team...of all the teams to leave for...it was the Jets?!?!

I guess Mangina was the sacrificial lamb...but, he still shouldn't have done what he did (Spygate).

Hopefully Mangina learned a life lesson from all of the shit that he stirred up...

Back