Mangini Opens Up About Spygate

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
and says it was Tannenbaum who escalated things and regrets that it ruined his relationship with Belichick. I can believe that.

Former New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini was supposed to be a genius and the future of coaching. Mangini was the head coach of the Jets a decade ago and back-stabbed Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on his way out the door.
Brian Costello of the New York Post spoke with Mangini, who is currently out of football, to discuss Mangini’s time with the Jets, his departure from the Patriots, and the lessons he has learned from experience.
On SpyGate escalating beyond his control

Mangini knew that the Patriots were filming the Jets sidelines from his time with the Patriots and he wanted them to stop. He didn’t think it would reach the NFL offices.
“It wasn’t like I was thinking I really want to get these guys,” Mangini said. “My thought was I don’t want to put my team at a competitive disadvantage, no matter how small.”

Unfortunately, former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum escalated the issue to the NFL and that’s how the cookie crumbled. Mangini had hoped the Patriots would have been forced to stop and that would have been the end of it. Instead, he lost one of the best relationships he ever had.
“There was no great value in what they were doing,” Mangini said about the filming. “It wasn’t worth it. It wasn’t worth it to me personally. It wasn’t worth it to the relationship.”
On losing his relationship with Bill Belichick and the Kraft family

“Bill Belichick read at Eric and Julie Mangini’s wedding,” Costello writes. “Mangini’s son Luke’s middle name is William, named after Belichick. Mangini followed Belichick from Cleveland, where he was a ball boy, to the Jets to the Patriots. The two have not had a real conversation in 10 years.”

Belichick was already upset that Mangini took a job with a division rival and started to poach players and coaches for his new franchise. SpyGate was the last heartbeat in that relationship.
“I cared about him,” Mangini said. “I didn’t want to hurt him. I didn’t want to hurt the Patriots. They were a huge part of my life, too, and the Kraft family. The Krafts were always great to me.
It’s no surprise that offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is doing everything he can to leave the Patriots on good terms. We’ve seen defensive coordinator Matt Patricia and director of player personnel Nick Caserio interview with the Dolphins, but I feel like everyone would be supremely shocked if a Belichick protege went to a division rival.
I’m actually curious about Belichick’s relationship with Pepper Johnson. Johnson was a linebacker under Belichick with the Giants and served on the Patriots staff from 2000-2013. He left to become the defensive line coach of the Bills in 2014 and he’s been the defensive line coach of the Jets since 2015. I wonder if that relationship is frosty, or if Belichick gave him his blessing because Johnson wasn’t going to be a defensive coordinator in New England.
On drafting Vernon Gholston over Jerod Mayo

The Jets selected pass rusher Vernon Gholston with the 6th overall pick of the 2008 NFL Draft. He’s regarded as one of the biggest busts in NFL history and finished his career without a sack.
“I felt good about Gholston,” Mangini said. “The thing we didn’t do a good enough job on was how great the love of football is. That’s one of those intangibles that’s hard to measure definitively. I can promise you it wasn’t for lack of research. It wasn’t impulsive. We did a ton of work. But we were wrong. We were wrong.”
Apparently, according to Costello, the Jets were considering trading down to the 10th overall pick with the Saints so they could select a linebacker named Jerod Mayo. The Jets wanted Gholston more and didn’t make the move.
The Patriots wound up trading down to select Mayo at 10th overall, a player I consider one of the most important transitional players from the Bill Belichick era.
There were multiple reports that the Patriots were interested in selecting Gholston with the 7th overall pick, so perhaps this was Belichick pulling a fast one on Mangini. Or perhaps Mangini saved the Patriots from making a mistake. Thanks Mangini.
The latest news from the Belichick-Mangini relationship came when Belichick was advocating for former Patriots linebacker and Texans coach Mike Vrabel to take Mangini’s job as defensive coordinator of the 49ers.
I feel like we’re a long way from a reconciliation, which is kind of sad. It’s clear that Mangini knocked over the first domino that created irreparable damage to Belichick’s reputation, but it’s also obvious how important this relationship must have been for a twenty-year span of time.
Mangini is obviously remorseful, but who knows if Belichick is even paying attention to him anymore.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/9/28...troyed-relationship-with-belichick-jerod-mayo

F him.

“There was no great value in what they were doing,” Mangini said about the filming. “It wasn’t worth it. It wasn’t worth it to me personally. It wasn’t worth it to the relationship.”

So why did Mangini do it? Even if it was Tannenbaum that escalated it, Mangini still started it by kicking the hornet's nest. He and Tomase can go rot somewhere together.

F him.

So why did Mangini do it? Even if it was Tannenbaum that escalated it, Mangini still started it by kicking the hornet's nest. He and Tomase can go rot somewhere together.
Because he thought the taping put his team at a disadvantage. Not a big one. We know that the taping didn't give the Patriots a big advantage because Belichick told Kraft himself that the taping didn't make much of of a difference. But these guys (have to) pay attention to effery detail... I can see why Mangini wanted the Patriots to stop.

Mangini must look back and wonder of things could have been different.

It wasn't just going to a division rival, it was the Jets and we weren't that far removed from the border wars. If he'd have made his move to another location, with BBs blessing instead of stuffing himself into the clown car that was and still is the NYJs maybe his career would have had a different arc.

It's a pity, but **** him and Tannenbaum too.

Mangini was young and stupid. I agree with the sentiments, but you knew someday this type of piece would come out

Me personally, I have no ill will about this anymore just knowing how stupid it is.

People will always think Spygate goes back to 2001, and the Patriots will always be cheating cheaters. The facts will never prevail. Glad Mangini at least is talking about it

In the end, it cost Mangini a lot of good relationships with the Patriots organization and perhaps throughout the NFL too

I have always blamed the league and Goodell for spygate. Everyone knew it was a no nothing violation and that many teams were doing it. To have made it the national circus it became and take a #1 forever cemented us as cheaters. I really have no ill will against Mangini but the going to the Jets and poaching our players forever put on him on Bill's blacklist understandably.

BB was wrong to misinterpret the rules, so if it wasn't Manjina, it would have been somebody else. Regardless, fvck that rat bastard and fvck the JEST.

BB was wrong to misinterpret the rules, so if it wasn't Manjina, it would have been somebody else. Regardless, fvck that rat bastard and fvck the JEST.

I agree that Belichick was wrong, but I think he knew what he was doing and chose to ignore the rule because he felt it was stupid-- which it probably was.

He could have taken the same film from a different location and it would have been fine. He could have used a still camera and taken multiple shutter shots from the same location and gotten the same information with a little more work, but because it was a VIDEO camera it was technically a violation and the damage was done.

For a matter of convenience and innate, bull-headed stubbornness there was and is still a very steep price to be paid for what was essentially nothing.

That's on Bill. By far the biggest mistake of his coaching career.

Oh, and Eric Mangini can change his kid's middle name if he doesn't like it. He bit the hand that fed him and got what he deserved.

Mangini was young and stupid. I agree with the sentiments, but you knew someday this type of piece would come out

Me personally, I have no ill will about this anymore just knowing how stupid it is.

People will always think Spygate goes back to 2001, and the Patriots will always be cheating cheaters. The facts will never prevail. Glad Mangini at least is talking about it

In the end, it cost Mangini a lot of good relationships with the Patriots organization and perhaps throughout the NFL too

my dogs do things in the yard that are smarter than people. Thinking is hard, and when you root for some bottom-feeder team that regularly gets ass-raped by the Pats it's much easier to go down this path.

Fukk Mangenius.

Spygate was Belichick's arrogance and sticking his middle finger up to the NFL because he felt the rule was stupid. Past coaches like Jimmy Johnson did it and I'm sure he felt it was the football equivalent of jaywalking. He should have stopped after they told him to, but regardless, Mangini was wrong to call him out on it. Sure, someone else would have, but Mangini owed everything to Belichick and should have let it go (or warned him that if he did it in their next meeting that year he would report it). Mangini deserves what he got (but I agree Belichick was wrong in doing it).

Mangini must look back and wonder of things could have been different.

It wasn't just going to a division rival, it was the Jets and we weren't that far removed from the border wars. If he'd have made his move to another location, with BBs blessing instead of stuffing himself into the clown car that was and still is the NYJs maybe his career would have had a different arc.

It's a pity, but **** him and Tannenbaum too.

Gotta be honest, the whole "he didn't have BB's blessing!" criticism of Manigini seems a bit ridiculous. He's a grown ass man and doesn't need Belichick's permission to get a promotion.

Especially given all the legit reasons to critisize Mangini.

I agree that Belichick was wrong, but I think he knew what he was doing and chose to ignore the rule because he felt it was stupid-- which it probably was.

He could have taken the same film from a different location and it would have been fine. He could have used a still camera and taken multiple shutter shots from the same location and gotten the same information with a little more work, but because it was a VIDEO camera it was technically a violation and the damage was done.

For a matter of convenience and innate, bull-headed stubbornness there was and is still a very steep price to be paid for what was essentially nothing.

That's on Bill. By far the biggest mistake of his coaching career.

Oh, and Eric Mangini can change his kid's middle name if he doesn't like it. He bit the hand that fed him and got what he deserved.

IIRC it wasn't a rule yet. A memo was sent out to all 32 teams asking them to stop. BB probably felt that he didn't need to adhere to some memo (rightly so IMO) but he violated the "spirit of the memo."

Whatever. I don't think this franchise suffered too much. Just like this idiotic Deflategate mess.

Gotta be honest, the whole "he didn't have BB's blessing!" criticism of Manigini seems a bit ridiculous. He's a grown ass man and doesn't need Belichick's permission to get a promotion.

Agreed, he didn't need it. However to me, the real point is, if you piss off your friends, they won't be your friends any more.

He's a grown ass man, and he made his choices. Now he has to deal with the repercussions.

I have always had a suspicion about this whole fiasco that BB was trying to do Fredo a favor.

Hear me out.

I've always felt the only way it made sense to tape these signals was if the tapes were being traded among teams. I'll tape this team for you, you tape that team for me. I think BB had an agreement with Billick (the Ravens were playing the Jets the following week) to tape the signals. BB did it so openly so Magina would know what was happening and have a chance to change up his signals by the next week.

This also explains why the tapes had to be destroyed without being seen, in the vast majority of the games in the library neither of the 2 teams on the field was the NEPs. Goodell was stupid and new and allowed the thing to spin into a media firestorm and had to "punish" the Pats so as not to look stupid. He couldn't suspend BB because BB threatened to go public with the whole thing.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Especially given all the legit reasons to critisize Mangini.

Change "blessing" to "normal professional courtesy" if you like.

What line of business are you guys in?

If a rival corporation offers me a promotion the only thing I owe my current employer is a two week notice.

Agreed, he didn't need it. However to me, the real point is, if you piss off your friends, they won't be your friends any more.

He's a grown ass man, and he made his choices. Now he has to deal with the repercussions.

That's all fine and I'm not saying don't criticize Mangini.

However the way it's presented here implies that Belichick believes he has final say over his employees seeking employment outside of his organization.

Which to me, if correct, is a completely intolerable level of arrogance.

No one saying he didn't have the right. He did nothing to violate the rules. (written one's anyway).

But he still screwed the Pats in the process and we don't have to like it and say ok he's within the rules. And BB sure as hell doesn't have to stay his pal just like you wouldn't expect your boss to stay your if you gave that notice right when he needed you most. :shrug:

Oh and btw, who said Bill wasn't arrogant? But nothing in the rules says he has to be humble - so no offense, right?

Cheers

However the way it's presented here implies that Belichick believes he has final say over his employees seeking employment outside of his organization.

Which to me, if correct, is a completely intolerable level of arrogance.

I think he believes that if they cross him, they're dead to him. If I leave a company to go to a rival, I would have no expectation of still being buddies with Sr Mgmt at the prior company.

Back