New Rule

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
So Goodell has a new rule. Dean Blandino has final say on all replay reviews. A man who was never an official will sit in an office and make the calls. It is no longer up to an independent official with no skin in the game to make the call.

Oh, yeah, the officials will have tablets, and they'll have some input, but Blandino is the head arbiter and ruler-in-chief.

A good analogy of this is a commissioner who has no legal background making himself the sole decision-maker in a legal or labor dispute.

That doesn't sound familiar, does it?

They may have finally found a way to bring the Patriots down. Doubtful, but they'll keep trying.

So Goodell has a new rule. Dean Blandino has final say on all replay reviews. A man who was never an official will sit in an office and make the calls. It is no longer up to an independent official with no skin in the game to make the call.

Oh, yeah, the officials will have tablets, and they'll have some input, but Blandino is the head arbiter and ruler-in-chief.

A good analogy of this is a commissioner who has no legal background making himself the sole decision-maker in a legal or labor dispute.

That doesn't sound familiar, does it?

They may have finally found a way to bring the Patriots down. Doubtful, but they'll keep trying.

I don't see that it's any big deal as long as goodell promises:
1. not to tell Dean to F*** the Pats whenever possible, and
2. not to call Dean in the middle of a review and tell him to f*** the Pats this instant,

Oh and of course if Dean promises to not F*** the Patriots. :coffee:

Don't worry, it's all on the up and up. Integrity!

Cheers, BostonTim

I thought this was just proposed at this time.

The owner's haven't voted to approve it yet.

I'm not saying they won't, simply that the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Saw somewhere in PFT a speculative either/or scenario based on goodell 's public comments. He has counted the votes and has them, or has counted and it's close and he's trying to get vox populi behind him pre-vote. IN either case, F*** goodell. :shrug:

Cheers

Done deal, from what I've read.

You think the NFL is going to risk completely destroying it's on-field legitimacy to get back at the Patriots?

So what happens if multiple games have simultaneous reviews? Will the ref on the field get a message saying "Thank you for holding, your replay is important to us. The expected wait time is 5 minutes"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...andino-will-have-final-say-on-replay-reviews/

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2017, 8:42 AM EDT

For the first time ever, the NFL is moving to a rule that will give the league’s head of officiating — not the referee — final say on replay reviews.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Mike & Mike that under the 2017 rules, the replay review will go to head of officiating Dean Blandino, and although Blandino will consult with the referee on the field, it will be Blandino who makes the final decision. Although the NFL has already implemented the procedures that allow the referee to communicate with the league’s officiating office, in past years it was still the ref who had final say.

“We are going to centralize the replay back here in New York,” Goodell said. “Dean Blandino will have the final decision. We think that will move it much quicker.”

Goodell also said referees will be told to announce the replay decision immediately in the stadium, rather than waiting for the end of a commercial break, so that the ball can be spotted and the teams can be lined up and ready for the next play as soon as the commercial break ends.

“We want to get going. We want to be ready to play,” Goodell said.

The NFL has said that a major priority this season is speeding up games and cutting down on unnecessary delays. Streamlining replay is one way to do that.

I'm more and more astounded each day when I read things like this and remember the bone heads making these decisions are multi millionaires or billionaires.

Seems like a done deal to me. Can't wait to experience first hand how Blandino F*cks this up. I can't imagine how having 1 person with absolute authority to change the possible outcome of games can actually enhance the integrity of the game.

This absolutely seems to be an invitation for shenanigans to me.

============================

If Goodell thinks the length of games affected viewership last year, he's barking up the wrong tree. How about checking the quality of the teams being put on display?! And the crazy # of inane rules attempting to control the on field behavior of the players. Excessive celebration my ass.

Seems like a done deal to me. Can't wait to experience first hand how Blandino F*cks this up. I can't imagine how having 1 person with absolute authority to change the possible outcome of games can actually enhance the integrity of the game.

This absolutely seems to be an invitation for shenanigans to me.

============================

If Goodell thinks the length of games affected viewership last year, he's barking up the wrong tree. How about checking the quality of the teams being put on display?! And the crazy # of inane rules attempting to control the on field behavior of the players. Excessive celebration my ass.

I'm guessing if you are planning on being in Foxborough on opening night, you'll get your wish.

So what happens if multiple games have simultaneous reviews? Will the ref on the field get a message saying "Thank you for holding, your replay is important to us. The expected wait time is 5 minutes"

More awesome commercial opportunities for them... :coffee:

"Goodell also said referees will be told to announce the replay decision immediately in the stadium, rather than waiting for the end of a commercial break, so that the ball can be spotted and the teams can be lined up and ready for the next play as soon as the commercial break ends."

So we at home can't see or hear the official make the call on the field. Wow. This is sickening. Can't the comp committee or the owners overrule this? This is completely unilateral and biased in so many ways. He wants to speed up the ruling, so an official who now looks at every nuance from every angle, says he believes one thing, now Blandino can say I've seen enough, this is the call??? Someone who has never officiated?

Outrageous.

So what happens if multiple replays need to be decided on at the same time? Just leaving that all up to Deano? That'll speed things up.

It is official the NFL=WWE.

sports entertainment

Will Trump do a royal rumble in a cage at halftime...vs Goodell?

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

So what happens if multiple replays need to be decided on at the same time? Just leaving that all up to Deano? That'll speed things up.

More commercials...obviously. :coffee:

I'm more and more astounded each day when I read things like this and remember the bone heads making these decisions are multi millionaires or billionaires.

I should count, but I'm betting Lucky Sperm Club owners>old school (self made men)owners now

Here's the full list of proposals from PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-proposals-to-change-playing-rules-in-2017/

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2017, 2:19 PM EDT

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino announced the following proposed rules changes for the 2017 season, which the league’s owners will vote on at next week’s league meeting:

— Outlaw jumping over the line to block an extra point or field goal.

— Make permanent the rule moving touchbacks to the 25-yard line, which was passed on a temporary basis last year.

— Make permanent the automatic ejection rule for two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, which was passed on a temporary basis last year.

— Expand defenseless player protection to include receivers running routes, when they’re tracking the quarterback or looking back for the ball, even within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

— Give the league office final say over replay decisions, with input from the referee.

— Eliminate sideline replay monitoring, with a tablet being handed to the referee on the field to review replays in consultation with the league office.

— Standardize the starting of the clock when the runner goes out of bounds outside two minutes remaining in the first half and outside five minutes remaining in the second half.

— Allow the referee to make replay announcements during commercial breaks, rather than waiting for the TV broadcast.

— Institute a 40-second clock after extra points when going to a kickoff if there is not a commercial break.

— Standardize the halftime length to 13 minutes and 30 seconds, rather than allowing the referee to give teams additional time to get in and out of the locker rooms.

The tablet idea for replays is wonderful. Let's hope the wifi doesn't go down during game. And does each ref come with a 12 year old to show him how to use it?

Oh goody, another way for tablets to fail!
That's absolutely perfect NFL "logic: something is unreliable, and affects the quality of the game so LET's DOUBLE DOWN ON ITS USAGE BECUZ SPONSERZ!!1!!!!!"

Here's the full list of proposals from PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-proposals-to-change-playing-rules-in-2017/

The tablet idea for replays is wonderful. Let's hope the wifi doesn't go down during game. And does each ref come with a 12 year old to show him how to use it?

And of course jumping over the line to block an extra point or field goal is because of the Patriots, who do it pretty much successfully every time they attempt it. Wonder who came up with that one? The excuse they use, that someone could get injured by falling on their head under the jumper, is pretty freaking hilarious.

Back