NFL: Al-Jazeera-implicated players must speak or face suspension

All four players are going to speak with Goodell. Neal folded too. According to Florio people "in the know" say the league has said thru back channels (gee, where have I heard that before?] that the meetings are perfunctory and they will be cleared. You don't say? Still, I hope Harrison goes ballistic.

Al Jazeera meetings are set

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2016, 9:17 PM EDT

The most-anticipated interviews of the year not involving Ryan Lochte are finally happening.

Via Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, the NFL has agreed to meet with the four players accused of PED use in a controversial Al Jazeera documentary that emerged last December. Per the report, Packers linebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers will be interviewed on Wednesday, August 24 in Green Bay, free-agent defensive lineman Mike Neal will be interviewed on Thursday, August 25 in Chicago, and Steelers linebacker James Harrison will be interviewed on Tuesday, August 30 in Pittsburgh.

The four players abruptly agreed to submit to the interviews last week, after the NFL applied an August 25 deadline for submitting or facing an indefinite suspension. The circumstances have prompted speculation from those in the know that the league made it known through back channels that the investigation is perfunctory and that the players will be exonerated fairly promptly after being interviewed.

Whether that happens remains to be seen. As explained earlier today, this specific type of potential violation falls within the narrow range of lingering final say for the Commissioner. So if the league decides that they violated the PED policy, Goodell or his designee will resolve it.

I'm afraid this is just a smoke screen to let the public know that the NFL has done its due diligence and found nothing.

No punishment. No reprimand. No nothing.

I'm afraid this is just a smoke screen to let the public know that the NFL has done its due diligence and found nothing.

This is exactly what I expect.

The NFL will interview them, say they did a full investigation, and clear them. All so they can say "Look! Goodell is a fair and just commissioner! He only punishes players when it is warranted."

This is exactly what I expect.

The NFL will interview them, say they did a full investigation, and clear them. All so they can say "Look! Goodell is a fair and just commissioner! He only punishes black players when it is warranted."

He's trying to appease the racist cries, methinks.

Goodell has to justify letting PManninHGH off the hook. Letting these guys off does that.

That too.
And if he dismissed those allegations after PM likely had records scrubbed and intimidated witnesses there would likely be MUCH grumbling, and 100% justified.

Goodell has to justify letting PManninHGH off the hook. Letting these guys off does that.

Except Goodell NEVER does the smart thing, ever. His ego is too big. He will find a way to punish them just for their insolence regarding being interviewed.

Except Goodell NEVER does the smart thing, ever. His ego is too big. He will find a way to punish them just for their insolence regarding being interviewed.

Or he'll punish them because their teams are good

Of course.

Why do you think they all succumbed?

1. Portrays TBs penalty as just.

2. Validates PMs exoneration.

3. Eliminates any further blowback from other fanbases.

I'm hearing that these 4 have already been told that they will be exonerated.

If that's true, then the Feds better step in, they did it in the 80's to Vince McMahon and his WWF

In reality, Goodell already got his man. And by emphasizing due process now, he can further sell that Brady's suspension was correct.

We look at these cases with no evidence and think, 'Well shit there's more evidence here than in Deflategate yet Brady was suspended for FOUR games!' But Goodell can spin it to display that the NFL doesn't unfairly punish players without credible evidence, thereby suggesting that Brady's case did have credible evidence (ie. Wells Report). This tactic will still work on many fans who still have no idea what was actually in the Wells Report.

It's not just a smoke screen, it's a staged event set up for a very specific purpose. After it's done and he totally exonerates everyone, he gets to say: "see Tom, it's your own fault. All you had to do was cooperate. We WOULD have been fair had you just... .

And the crowd will once more tear into TFB (The crowd not qualified to sniff the jock of the folks not qualified to sniff TFBs jock, or some such thing).

F*** him.

Cheers, BostonTim

Week 5 on is gonna be simply glorious.

I'd LOVE to see him launch Freedom Rockets after every TD.

Post game presser?

Make Marshawn Lynch seem like Obama.

Memo from the league?

Fine me. I've banked $200 mil and my wife makes $40 per. I'll play the fvcking year for free bitch. You made this personal. I'll show you personal.

Just win baby.

Week 5 on is gonna be simply glorious.

I'd LOVE to see him launch Freedom Rockets after every TD.

Post game presser?

Make Marshawn Lynch seem like Obama.

Memo from the league?

Fine me. I've banked $200 mil and my wife makes $40 per. I'll play the fvcking year for free bitch. You made this personal. I'll show you personal.

Just win baby.

TFB will be the first guy suspended for post game press conference shenanigans.

The NFL has found nothing new on the 3 players interviewed and all will be exonerated as we expected.

The NFL's interviews with the players named in the Al-Jazeera report on performance-enhancing drugs have begun, and so far they have gone as the players expected.
A source close to the situation said Packers linebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, whose interviews were Wednesday in Green Bay, and Steelers linebacker James Harrison, whose interview was Thursday in Pittsburgh, remain annoyed that they had to submit to the interviews but were not confronted with any new evidence or allegations during their interviews.
Free-agent defensive end Mike Neal is the other player the league plans to interview in connection with its investigation into last winter's Al-Jazeera report. The league interviewed retired quarterback Peyton Manning, who also was named in the report, earlier this offseason and issued a statement last month clearing his name.
The expectation of Matthews, Peppers, Harrison and Neal -- as articulated by Harrison on Wednesday -- is that the NFL's investigation will conclude that the players did nothing wrong and that the league will issue the same statement for them that it did on Manning's behalf. Major League Baseball players Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman, who also were named in the report, were publicly cleared by MLB last week after it concluded its investigation.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17390509/no-new-evidence-nfl-ped-interviews

The NFL has found nothing new on the 3 players interviewed and all will be exonerated as we expected.

The NFL's interviews with the players named in the Al-Jazeera report on performance-enhancing drugs have begun, and so far they have gone as the players expected.
A source close to the situation said Packers linebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, whose interviews were Wednesday in Green Bay, and Steelers linebacker James Harrison, whose interview was Thursday in Pittsburgh, remain annoyed that they had to submit to the interviews but were not confronted with any new evidence or allegations during their interviews.
Free-agent defensive end Mike Neal is the other player the league plans to interview in connection with its investigation into last winter's Al-Jazeera report. The league interviewed retired quarterback Peyton Manning, who also was named in the report, earlier this offseason and issued a statement last month clearing his name.
The expectation of Matthews, Peppers, Harrison and Neal -- as articulated by Harrison on Wednesday -- is that the NFL's investigation will conclude that the players did nothing wrong and that the league will issue the same statement for them that it did on Manning's behalf. Major League Baseball players Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman, who also were named in the report, were publicly cleared by MLB last week after it concluded its investigation.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17390509/no-new-evidence-nfl-ped-interviews

I'll just bet that if MLB hadn't cleared Howard and Zimmerman before these interviews, it wouldn't have gone so smoothly. Since MLB said nothing to see here, the NFL had no choice but to do the same.

Except, in the case of Manning, there most definitely was something to see there. But Roger had his blinders on while Archie was pulling his strings.

i'll just bet that if mlb hadn't cleared howard and zimmerman before these interviews, it wouldn't have gone so smoothly. Since mlb said nothing to see here, the nfl had no choice but to do the same.

Except, in the case of manning, there most definitely was something to see there. But roger had his blinders on while archie was pulling his g-strings.
fyp

So I guess now we can start calling Harrison a little bitch for succumbing to Goodell. He was all talk at the beginning but look at him now. Caved like a little school girl.

SMH

Back