NFL QB Tier Rankings - Brady #1

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
Mike Sando has done his annual QB rankings based on a voting panel consisting of 42 league insiders -- 10 general managers, five head coaches, seven offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, eight personnel evaluators and seven other position coaches/executives.

Sando polled coaches and evaluators on 33 QBs, asking them to place each player into one of five tiers, with Tier 1 reserved for the very best and Tier 5 reserved for the very worst:

Tier 1: Can carry his team each week. Team wins because of him.
Tier 2: Can carry team sometimes but not as consistently.
Tier 3: Legit starter but needs heavy run game/defense to win.
Tier 4: Might not want this guy starting all 16 games.
Tier 5: Do not think this guy should be starting.

Brady came out #1. Here is part of the write up. I am not an ESPN Insider to I can't get the rest. If someone else has the rest, can they please post it? Would love to see where the rest of Qbs placed.

T-1. Tom Brady | New England Patriots

Avg. rating: 1.00 | Change in rating: 0% | 2015 rank: T-1

Brady opened last season with 22 TD passes and only two interceptions during the Patriots' 8-0 start. The TD-INT ratio dipped to 14-5 the rest of the way as New England lost top wide receiver Julian Edelman while becoming desperate enough at running back to bring Steven Jackson out of semi-retirement at age 32. It's tough finding league insiders who see significant decline in Brady, but speak to enough of them and you'll run across a few.

"He is going to be a 2 probably this year, but I'd say right now he is a 1," an offensive coordinator said. "I see him starting to slide a little bit physically. The thing that stands out to me is, the accuracy of his throws has really decreased. [Rob] Gronkowski and his receivers are making these unbelievable catches, ones that are low, that are outside, to make these plays."

Others thought Brady was actually improving by leveraging a growing knowledge base, finding new ways to beat defenses. A different offensive coordinator said he thought Brady worked through issues that affected him a couple years ago as he modified his throwing motion. This coordinator thought Brady had regained accuracy as a result.

"Yeah, he is pretty old, but does he look old to you when he plays?" one GM asked. "He is in complete and utter control of everything, and that is a 1 to me. And he can still throw the hell out of the ball. When he starts throwing like Peyton Manning threw last season, then I'll say, 'Well, he should be lower.'"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...odgers-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger

Is this news? The guy will always be tier 1 until the day he hangs em up. One of the best ever. Unfortunately for Pats fans, his days are coming to an end. Enjoy him while you can.

Is this news? The guy will always be tier 1 until the day he hangs em up. One of the best ever. Unfortunately for Pats fans, his days are coming to an end. Enjoy him while you can.

Not to me.

:)

Father Time is undefeated.

Meh, they'll be fine as Brady is just a system QB.

:coffee:

Meh, they'll be fine as Brady is just a system QB.

:coffee:

Yeah, that's what Ratbird fans tell O.Z.O. Jr all the time. Anybody can succeed in that system...well, apparently anybody but Jimmy G. ROFL

Yeah, that's what Ratbird fans tell O.Z.O. Jr all the time. Anybody can succeed in that system...well, apparently anybody but Jimmy G. ROFL
So they are implying that not only has Belichick devised a system so perfect that it can have any QB dominate the NFL for 15 years, his system is so good that no one has been able to duplicate it despite 15 years of game tape.

I didn't realize that Ratbirds and DonkeyDongs thought so highly of BB.

what does that mean?

All the noise. Those invoking JG's failure in advance. The wannabee "I told you so" crowd I've been mocking of late. At least that's how I took it.

Cheers, BostonTim

what does that mean?
1. Brady isn't that good because any QB can succeed in the Pats system.
2. Brady is the only reason the Pats are winning and without him under center the Pats will never be any good.

Also, the Pats are cheating cheaters who cheat.

1. Brady isn't that good because any QB can succeed in the Pats system.
2. Brady is the only reason the Pats are winning and without him under center the Pats will never be any good.

Also, the Pats are cheating cheaters who cheat.

Finally some sense on the subject!

Is this news?

Yes, it is IMO. Brady is frigging 39 years old and he is STILL number frigging one. In other words, he is STILL considered better than Aaron "I am a jerk" Rodgers; Cam "I don't want to jump on my own fumble in the SB" Newton; Russell "I will always be known for that damn pick" Wilson, and of course just because you asked, Mark "the one and only Butt Fumble" Sanchez.

No other QB in the history of the NFL has ever been ranked number ONE at age 39 with that type of write up and you just know those GMs and personnell guys want badly to put Rodgers or Cam there but they can't. So yes, a reason to :dbanana: even though greatness from TFB is the norm around here and has been for the past 15 years.

Roethlisberger was third? W..T...F?
Don't get me wrong, he's a good player...a good QB...but not third best QB in the NFL. As much as people belittle Russell Wilson's accomplishments/skill for having a great defense, go check Pittsburgh's record with Ben when they don't have a top 5 scoring defense. Also go check how many times he has helped lead his team to a top 5 finish in points scored.

I think some of the low outside throws are TB protecting his WRs. He is usually one of the least likely hospital ball QBs (minus 09 when he became Manning lite so we could tell he wasn't himself yet). The thing you ding TB on is the deep ball accuracy which sux.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player...a good QB...but not third best QB in the NFL. As much as people belittle Russell Wilson's accomplishments/skill for having a great defense, go check Pittsburgh's record with Ben when they don't have a top 5 scoring defense. Also go check how many times he has helped lead his team to a top 5 finish in points scored.

I think some of the low outside throws are TB protecting his WRs. He is usually one of the least likely hospital ball QBs (minus 09 when he became Manning lite so we could tell he wasn't himself yet). The thing you ding TB on is the deep ball accuracy which sux.

Can you post the entire article if you have it? Would love to see the rest of the rankings.

I think you're underrating Roethlisberger a bit. He brings a lot more to the table than he takes away.

Can you post the entire article if you have it? Would love to see the rest of the rankings.
I wish I had it but I don't, sorry!

I think you're underrating Roethlisberger a bit. He brings a lot more to the table than he takes away.
I put their "QB personality" in there too, leadership, etc. He suffers there in my book (so does Rodgers, but his skill level is better).
BR is definitely a far better passer than he gets credit for. He's a very accurate thrower.

Back