NT Vince Wilfork Has Eye On New Deal

-Scar-

Decimate this account, please. Thanks.
Reaction score
Wilfork, who sent out three "tweets" on his Twitter account yesterday at the same time the Patriots were practicing at Gillette Stadium, has been frustrated at the lack of progress on contract talks. The sides haven't negotiated this offseason. So Wilfork's presence, or lack thereof, is near the top of things to watch today, right after "How does Brady look?". The Patriots would not confirm if Wilfork participated in OTAs over the last two days. The team's website noted that "over 80" of the 91 players on the roster were on the field. Wilfork did not return messages the last two days, nor did his agent. Wilfork enters the sixth season of a six-year pact he signed as a first-round draft choice in 2004. That was the same year the Patriots other first-round draft choice, Benjamin Watson, held out because his agent (Tom Condon) insisted that a six-year contract was not an option.

Source: Mike Reiss, Boston Globe

Wilfork needs to be resigned. There is no other person that should come before the big man. He's our anchor.

This is one player they should not screw around with. WTF haven't they at least starting talking with him yet ? That's a big mistake.

yes indeed this will be a huge mistake by the pats if they do not resign vw before the beginning of this season cuz he will be on the jets next year blowing past the pats current very weak and oxycotine enriched oline... :banghead:

yes indeed this will be a huge mistake by the pats if they do not resign vw before the beginning of this season cuz he will be on the jets next year blowing past the pats current very weak and oxycotine enriched oline... :banghead:

The pats have a weak oline? One guy gets caught for oxy and now its the whole line which is now weak? How are the jets going to afford jenkins and wilfork?

Seems opposite of a thread a few weeks ago:

"I believe it’ll work out. I’m just going to let it run its course and play out,” Wilfork said yesterday from his Florida home. “I know they have the draft coming up. They have stuff to take care of. As long as we’re on the same page, I don’t care that we can’t do anything right now. I understand that. We’ve been in contact the last month or two. I’m very happy with where we’re at. They’re happy with where we’re at. Hopefully we’ll get something done, whenever that may be. I’m in no rush. I’m going to give them time to handle whatever they need to handle. When the time is right, that’s when it’s going to happen.

“I’m just looking forward to another great season. They know how I feel about it. They know I want to be a Patriot. I want to start my career as a Patriot, and finish as one. I’ve said it from Day One. I meant that sincerely. So I think it’ll work out. I think everything will work for the best.”

As far as what the deal might entail, Wilfork dispelled the notion he would seek a deal on par with the seven-year, $100 million free agent contract Albert Haynesworth signed with Washington.

“Albert is Albert. We are two different people. That’s how I stand on that situation,” Wilfork said. “I’m very happy with where I’m at. It’s one thing to get that type of money and play for a new organization you don’t know anything about, as opposed to playing for an organization you know everything about, where the fans love you, the organization loves you, and your teammates love you, and you’ve made friends where you’re at.”

“Albert Haynesworth has nothing to do with my contract whatsoever. Whatever I like is what I’m going to get, if it’s Albert Haynesworth or not. We’re two totally different people. The last thing I want to do is leave where I’m at, so I’m going to do everything in my willpower to stay. . . . Whenever it happens, it’s going to happen. I think I’m going to be happy.”

I have a bad feeling he will be playing for a different team next year...I watched NEST and they were saying the Pats wouldn't even offer Richard Seymour money last year...If thats the case he will be gone to a team like the skins who will pay huge money for this guy... If the Pats offer 8 mill year 30+ million guaranteed then maybe he stays,but I have a feeling the Pats want to sign him at 6 mil 17 mil guaranteed and this wont do it... Another reason I think we havent heard any contract talk is they are so far apart and that is the reason for Ron Brace being Drafted... I hope I'm wrong....

Getting Wilfork a new contact should be one of the patriots biggest needs. He is the anchor to the Pats 3-4 defense. One of the pats best defense players.

<<
http://twitter.com/wilfork75
>>

Unless there is verification from Wilfork himself that he is running that account don't believe it for a second. There have already been numerous bogus twitter accounts in the names of players, agents and others.

For what it's worth..
To me the main sticking point is, and will continue to be Albert Haynsworth and his monopoly money contract.
Most NFL fans outside the Washington DC area would probably all agree that Wilfork is a more talented DT than Haynsworth. So at some level Vince has to be thinking whatever Haynsworth's value is, his own value should be higher. From a fan's standpoint you are going to be thinking pay him what he wants, all the while hoping that he wants to stay in NE enough to find some middle ground. But you know how that can go. Once the agent starts whispering in his ear it can be ugly.
Still Belichick must be thinking it may not happen. There were still pass rushers on the board but he drafted Ron Brace. Brace is a beast, but he's no Wilfork. (yet, anyway).
It'll be interesting to see what happens. We all know NT is the glue for the 3-4. But Belichick has let others walk when their contract demands were too high.
IF Wilfork walks, I could see him going to Green Bay; maybe even Detroit. I don't see him going to Miami. Parcells is like Belichick with the salary cap. I could see him maybe ending up in KC, though. Everyone knows that Pioli is going to build a 3-4 defense. :coffee:

Back