Scary happenings in Dallas last night. Peverley collapsed on the bench with an apparent "cardiac issue" in the 1st period. He was rushed to the hospital and is in stable condition. The games was suspended and will be completed at a later date.

http://nhl.si.com/2014/03/11/dallas-stars-rich-peverley-collapse/

I was at American Airlines Center tonight as Rich Peverley collapsed on the Stars’ bench and the game was subsequently postponed. The following is a rapid reaction to the events that transpired:

The play had just entered the Columbus zone when I heard sticks slamming against the boards.

My first thought? Too many men on the ice. The guys always do that to get the attention of the officials on a bad change. The Stars had the puck so I started counting white sweaters. Two…three…but before I could get to five the sound had taken on urgency. The banging wasn’t just insistent now. It was frantic. I looked over to the benches and saw players from both sides pouring over the boards. A brawl? I heard someone near me say, “There’s an injury.” I looked around. There was no one down on the ice.

Six seconds had passed. Maybe eight. Some of the Stars continued to press the attack, but as the crowd grew around the benches, others splintered away from the play.

The banging continued and then something remarkable happened. Dallas’ Antoine Roussel, apparently coming from off the bench, skated across the width of the ice to an official and began berating him. It was an utterly incomprehensible moment. What was he doing, with play going on?

Finally a whistle blew. Then, chaos.

It was only then that it became clear that something had happened on the Dallas bench. Through the crowd I could see trainers kneeling, apparently attending to someone on the ground.

Pevs, I thought.

Almost at the same moment, someone around me said his name out loud. Someone else started checking off the players who were visible, trying to figure it out by process of elimination.

It had to be him. Rich Peverley, an on-and-off member of Dallas’ top line, had a history of heart problems. He’d missed a game just last week in Columbus with a recurrence of the issue. He wore a heart monitor for every game and practice. He had undergone a procedure back in September to correct an irregular heartbeat. I still couldn’t see who it was, but there was no sign of 17 on the ice.

And then that awful, sickening thought entered my mind: Am I watching someone die?

There was a flurry of activity on the bench. I saw two trainers pick the player up by his legs and shoulders and carry him down the tunnel toward the Stars’ room. He was limp. A dead weight. That was the moment the mood in the AAC changed from confusion to fear. How serious does it have to be for them to blow off a stretcher? The EMS team at the American Airlines Center waits in the visitors’ tunnel, in the far corner to the right of the benches. From that spot to the bench area it has to be 150 feet through the hall. Those guys could have covered the distance at a run in maybe 30 seconds. The trainers decided on the spot they didn’t have that long.

That decision may have saved Peverley’s life.

The black curtains in the tunnel closed behind them and all that was left was the crowd of players looking stunned. One appeared to be crying.

A few minutes later, the Blue Jackets filed off the ice. The league had called an early intermission. The Stars followed them out through the visitors’ tunnel. They couldn’t walk down their own. I’m guessing Peverley was still being treated there.

I can’t begin to imagine what that long walk to the room was like for those boys.

Play had stopped at 7:50 local time, six minutes and 23 seconds into the first period. At 8:23, the decision was made by the league to suspend the game. It was the right call. The only call. After a couple of earlier detail-free messages, the public address announcer finally confirmed that Peverley was the player involved, that he’d been taken to hospital and that he was conscious and doing well. The attending physician said later that after being revived, Peverley had asked how much time was left and said he wanted to get back to the game.

Hockey players. Good lord.

The word we got before leaving the AAC was that Peverley had been treated for “a cardiac event” and had been taken to UT Southwestern St. Paul Hospital where he was in stable condition, resting comfortably with his wife at his side.

Finally, we all were able to exhale.

For more updates on Rich Peverley’s situation, give the Dallas Stars Twitter feed a follow. They’re the best source for reliable information at this point.

scary stuff, I saw this last night but forgot about him having a heart issue. thank god they had people around (DR in the crowd) to help get him the proper care. I guess he is alert in the hospital.

Here's the video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9jivQgF6J1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very scary... I think Pev should just retire and enjoy life to the fullest... Too many issues with that heart of his...

Very scary... I think Pev should just retire and enjoy life to the fullest... Too many issues with that heart of his...
I got the Reggie Lewis thoughts going on, it is not worth it and typically Hockey players are teh most level headed so I hold out hope he retires and lives a long life.

Wow...

I can't imagine going from the shift to shift intensity of a pro hockey game to having the guy beside you on the bench just drop.

I know it's a very serious situation and I hope the Drs shut him down completely and indefinitely unless they are sure thru monitoring and VO2 Max tests that there is no further issue.

But does anyone else find it just a little bit comical the guy is basically flat lined, gets revived in the locker room hallway, and the first thing he wants is to know how much time is left and can he get back out there. Shows you what you get when you invest in the hockey player. I can't think of a single baseball player in the history of the game that would present even an ounce of that commitment.

Wow...

I can't imagine going from the shift to shift intensity of a pro hockey game to having the guy beside you on the bench just drop.

I know it's a very serious situation and I hope the Drs shut him down completely and indefinitely unless they are sure thru monitoring and VO2 Max tests that there is no further issue.

But does anyone else find it just a little bit comical the guy is basically flat lined, gets revived in the locker room hallway, and the first thing he wants is to know how much time is left and can he get back out there. Shows you what you get when you invest in the hockey player. I can't think of a single baseball player in the history of the game that would present even an ounce of that commitment.

Saw this on Facebook

Wow... I can't imagine going from the shift to shift intensity of a pro hockey game to having the guy beside you on the bench just drop. I know it's a very serious situation and I hope the Drs shut him down completely and indefinitely unless they are sure thru monitoring and VO2 Max tests that there is no further issue. But does anyone else find it just a little bit comical the guy is basically flat lined, gets revived in the locker room hallway, and the first thing he wants is to know how much time is left and can he get back out there. Shows you what you get when you invest in the hockey player. I can't think of a single baseball player in the history of the game that would present even an ounce of that commitment.
I can think of hundreds. :shrug:
To name one easily, Pedroia.

Saw this on Facebook

I can think of hundreds. :shrug:
To name one easily, Pedroia.

Easy tiger.

You don't want to review the missed games in Pedeys career do you?

This guy just died on the bench. Was brought back from beyond. And asked how much time was left in a regular season game and if he could go back in.

Totally scary incident, and I love me some Peverley. So glad he's ok. I read that a lot of the Bruins were really shook up about it as well.

Hey everyone,

I run a sim hockey league. Looking for a few new GMs. If you're interested just send me a PM here and I'll send you all the details.

#shamelessplug

Bruins 4 Habs 1

Pats sign Revis

Priapism all over New England

The B's are in cruise control right now.
Looks like they've been cutting Chara's minutes. I'd like to see them give him an occasional night off as the playoffs approach.

Not sure how important the #1 conference seeding is at this point. The B's and Pitt are running away with the top seeds. I would take rest over the #1 seed.

The B's are in cruise control right now.
Looks like they've been cutting Chara's minutes. I'd like to see them give him an occasional night off as the playoffs approach.

Not sure how important the #1 conference seeding is at this point. The B's and Pitt are running away with the top seeds. I would take rest over the #1 seed.

We all see Chara fade. It's like Neely and Chia won't acknowledge it tho.

NOTHING short of major injury is more important to this team. A night off for Z once a week is not crazy to ask for.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...ster-Child-for-Whats-Wrong-With8230/196/58889

The NHL did not follow its own protocol here. Rule 64.3 states that a first offense for diving/embellishment during the season “will result in a warning letter being sent to the player.” The second such incident “will result in a one thousand dollar ($1,000) fine.” Additionally, the League has the right to review video on plays where no diving or embellishment penalty was assessed and to put a strike against the player under the Diving protocol.

Neal had strike one, strike two and strike three. None of the previous penalties were officially rescinded from his record as far as I know, so he should have been suspended. This whole thing amounted to a foul-tip where the catcher dropped the ball on strike three so the hitter was not called out.

To recap, last month Neal got his third strike under the diving protocol. He was given a break. This month, Neal was guilty of at least the seventh League-reviewed play in his career for a reckless or dirty hit. He was given a break again, in the same season where there was no choice but to banish him for five games for kneeing an opponent in the head.

The NHL has sent a message to James Neal that he can do as he pleases until the next time he causes an injury. Flagged repeatedly for diving? That's OK, just sit your two minutes and be on your way. Rinse, wash, repeat. It makes my blood boil and the gets those old enforcer instincts of mine running on red alert.

Situations like these are why I say that the NHL Rule Book is a house of cards built on a foundation of sand. James Neal could be the poster child for what is wrong with the NHL discipline system as steered by Brendan Shanahan and, before him, the doubtable … um, redoubtable… Colin Campbell.

Back