OT - Buying a TV

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
Hey folks. The old GE 20" screen I bought way back in '94 when I was a freshman in college is finally dying out. I could see about getting it fixed but I figure it's time to just get something new. (Would cost about $100 if it even can be fixed, I can get a new one for $250 starting.)

This would be the bedroom TV so it doesn't need to be anything too fancy. I looked at Best Buy's website and we're talking $250-400. I'll maybe go as high as $500 but probably won't need to.

Thing is, this literally is the only TV I have ever purchased. My wife had her own when we met, plus one year her mom up and got her a new one for her birthday (that's the main one.) So I'm looking for any pointers since I haven't done this in so long. One useful tip I found online was to try changing the channels, playing with the volume, etc., in the store so you know if you like it. (Never thought of that.)

Other things: The nearest Best Buy store is 40 minutes away, while stores like Target, Shopko, etc. are much closer. In your opinion(s), is it better to go for the cheaper deal with a farther drive or pay a little more where it's more convenient to return/exchange if there's problems? Do you usually have problems with TVs, or is it one of those "Just pick one and let's go" things?

Anything I'm not thinking of that I should?

Also, any idea how to get rid of the old one? I'd rather not just leave it for the trash man.

Go to best buy and check out the small insignia HD tvs. I got a 32 with built in dvd player for 629.00 should be considerably cheaper for 27" and smaller.

Don't skimp.

Get HD in every room YOU watch in. With multiple HD's you'll always be able to see what you want.

And pr0n is great in HD!

TB, as far as buying TVs go I can't be much more help than to say let whatever your top price-point is be your guide if it's just for the beddie-room :shrug:

as for getting rid of your old analog TV -- as memory serves, you live in Madison, WI, yes?

given that that is the Radical Left capitol of Middle America, I would think they should have squads of municipally-employed Earth-First types that you can call who would be happy to p/u your old TV for free, give you a nice tummy-rub and prolly a Happy Ending all B4 taking the set to an environmentally-friendly re-cycling facility :thumb:

Don't skimp.

Get HD in every room YOU watch in. With multiple HD's you'll always be able to see what you want.

And pr0n is great in HD!

When P4E gets done filming me, TG and VYF we're going to load streaming HD feed out here on to the planet.

get your popcorn ready

When P4E gets done filming me, TG and VYF we're going to load streaming HD feed out here on to the planet.

get your popcorn ready

I might need some tissie :jerkit: or an old sock..

get your popcorn ready

HOLD UP!!!

We've never agreed to all access! That is simply not going to happen!

Pay Per View Dude...gas is ridiculous.

as for getting rid of your old analog TV -- as memory serves, you live in Madison, WI, yes?

given that that is the Radical Left capitol of Middle America, I would think they should have squads of municipally-employed Earth-First types that you can call who would be happy to p/u your old TV for free, give you a nice tummy-rub and prolly a Happy Ending all B4 taking the set to an environmentally-friendly re-cycling facility :thumb:

Screw you, jacka$$. Do the world a favor and get hit by a bus. :4321:

My, the crunchy-granolas have become harsh and militant! :shake: ROFL

If you're going for a flat-screen LCD, you'll hear things liks 720p, 720i, 1080p, 67 right flank tight-end curl hut hut hut. :shrug: The higher number is better but more expensive. (i is interlaced and p is progressive, and the number is how many lines of resolution, I think.) Also, apparently something called "contrast ratio" is important, and the higher the number the better (I think the blacks are blacker... this should make BY happy). So if a set's, say, 800:1 and $X dollars and the same inch and p can be bought with a 2000:1 contrast ratio for $X+50, you're probably better off spending the extra $50.

Be aware that a lot of places tune the set "perfectly" when in-store. If you don't like the pic in the store, you probably won't like it at home. :shrug:

My, the crunchy-granolas have become harsh and militant!

GFY. Just because I don't want to throw something in the trash I'm a hippie now?

I am really sick and f***ing tired of people like you who hijack threads and turn them into pissing contests. I have been to plenty of other boards where you can talk about things without people grabbing the tiniest goddamn detail and making everything so goddamn political. They have political forums and people are actually able to comprehend what they are for and KEEP THE POLITICAL TALK IN THE POLITICAL FORUM.

A few years ago I did a thread asking people what cars they drive. Did I accuse everyone who drives an SUV of being a right-wing lunatic? Apparently that's how you jacka$$es see the world.

GFY. Just because I don't want to throw something in the trash I'm a hippie now?

I am really sick and f***ing tired of people like you who hijack threads and turn them into pissing contests. I have been to plenty of other boards where you can talk about things without people grabbing the tiniest goddamn detail and making everything so goddamn political. They have political forums and people are actually able to comprehend what they are for and KEEP THE POLITICAL TALK IN THE POLITICAL FORUM.

A few years ago I did a thread asking people what cars they drive. Did I accuse everyone who drives an SUV of being a right-wing lunatic? Apparently that's how you jacka$$es see the world.

Dude. A couple of points.

#1: RG was kidding. There was no reason to tell him to go get hit by a bus.

#2: I had one joking comment. So take your "people like you" sentence and shove it up your ass sideways.

#3: Lighten the #*$& up. I don't know what your problem is, but don't take it out on us. "We jackasses" don't need your sh*t. For someone who's been a longtime poster here, I don't know where this is coming from, and frankly I don't give a sh*t where it's coming from, because there was no call for you to act this way. If you have some anger issues about your life, take it out on the people irritating you--your boss, your kids, your dog, the neighbor, I don't care. But don't come here expecting to kick people around to relieve your issues.

So, to sum up, I don't give a @#$& what kind of TV you buy now, you ass. :wave:

TYVM

what I was suggesting you do is look to see if Madison has a recycling program (figuring they did because they are so Progressive --is that better?) to get rid of your TV responsibly

here's a link to help you: http://www.cityofmadison.com/streets/computerRoundup.cfm

now if you continue to be wound too tight, you might want to see if they take in things that are wound too tight for recycling also

clock1.jpg

in my town I have to purchase a sticker (10 bucks) and they pick it up curb side and dispose of it properly

in my town I have to purchase a sticker (10 bucks) and they pick it up curb side and dispose of it properly

[Death-Defying Mode]

Cool! Do those stickers work on wives? ROFL

[/Death-Defying Mode]

Back